5 replies to this topic

#1 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

I've been five months gluten free, and it was all going really well. Adjusting to the diet, getting healthier, getting my energy back.

All of a sudden, I've developed two new food sensitivities in two weeks. Corn, which is confirmed, makes me as sick as if I've gotten a huge dose of gluten. Soy, which I haven't completely nailed down yet, seems to be a new one, because I was eating stuff with soy last week. Now this week, I feel like I've been hit by a truck, and those are the only things I can isolate as repeatable causes.

I know it's normal to develop more sensitivities as time goes on, and I know it's normal to get more sensitive to gluten itself. My question is around what time in your recovery did your extra food intolerances start showing up?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

For me it was at about the 3 month mark...I'm at 4 months and still in the middle of dealing with it... :0P

#3 UKGail

UKGail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

I noticed worsening sensitivity after 3 months too. For me, I think it is mainly increased sensitivity rather than anything else (I am still dairy and oat free), but I am not ruling out other issues. Have gone back to diet basics to try to sort it out.

#4 abaker521

abaker521

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Wow.. it's 5 months exactly for me as well and I'm right where you are! I was doing well.. then all the sudden felt like I relapsed. I just started cutting out dairy so we'll see how that goes, but I'm so frustrated (actually scared more than anything). I read that some people have salicylate intolerance which absolutely terrifies me since that includes all my favorite foods. I'm seeing my primary doctor tomorrow so I guess we'll see what he says. I'm trying to eat as plain as possible (although I have yet to give up my morning coffee.. which I buy organic and grind at home). Today I just had some dry rice chex mix and a green smoothie (made with organic spinach, fresh blueberries, assorted frozen fruit and organic almond butter). We'll see how I feel later! My biggest issue is just terrible bloating, gas, and of course the 'big D'.. I've also heard SIBO could be a culprit. :(

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

I was great til 5 1/2 months.

I honestly think I was glutened, though - one big one. Then several small ones (eating out).

I did discover taking Claritin (half dose) helped get rid of some symptoms I was unsure were gluten or allergies. My allergies had been great gluten-free, though, til that point. I wonder if getting glutened triggered them?

I wonder if at around 5 months we start getting comfortable and adding in more potential cc or allergens? I know I did. I got braver (and dumber, apparently).

I also discovered my hubby's snoring is interfering with my sleep (he's on an out of town trip and guess what - im sleeping and my body feels sooo much better).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 UKGail

UKGail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Prickly, I think you are sadly probably right about getting complacent (or dumb). I started enjoying myself eating more gluten free baked goods and started slowly going downhill again. Then I got dumb and went to the bagel shop to get a toasted bagel for my daughter. Waiting in the bagel shop for 5 minutes got me good. I was ill for days, not well for a further week, and my digestion still hasn't got back to where it had been before I got adventurous. Dumb is very a good word for it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: