#1 Hailiesmom08

Hailiesmom08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hi all!
We have our daughter on the SCD diet to heal her gut and hope that once its healed some of her food intolerances will go away.
Her 4th Birthday is a month away and I'm wanting to get a head start on finding the best tasting SCD birthday cake out there.
I have found some online that I'm going yo bake this weekend but I wanted to ask on here, is there anyone that has had great success with baking an SCD diet birthday cake?
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 salexander421

salexander421

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

We usually do cupcakes instead. If your daughter can do coconut flour these are pretty good http://comfybelly.co...r/#.TxoznYE8T5w
It's been a little while since we did SCD so I can't remember if apple cider vinegar is allowed but this recipe looks good and uses almond flour http://heathereatsal...ond-flour-cake/

I personally prefer the denseness of the almond flour stuff but coconut flour makes for a "fluffier" cake or cupcake. Hope this helps!
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#3 Hailiesmom08

Hailiesmom08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

Thank you!
How did you child do on the diet? My daughter is slowly but surely showing so many improvements. It's so amazing to have my happy healthy little girl back.

#4 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

We did great on it! I did it along with my two daughters. We probably only did it for about 6 months or so but our symptoms were not severe. We continue to eat a paleo diet which is grain, dairy, legume, and refined sugar free. So, not so different then SCD. The only thing we struggled with on SCD was the yogurt part. I think we all have casein allergies. We probably weren't as good about probiotics as we could have been, that's something I'm still working on. The SCD diet is not easy but it is so worth it!
Proud breastfeeding, toddlerwearing, part time cosleeping, stay at home mom. Positive for two copies of DQ8, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge; biopsy showed gastritis, inflammation in the esophagus, and hiatial hernia but no signs of celiac. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/11/2011

ODD 3 1/2, positive for DQ8 and DQ6, negative celiac panel after 3 month gluten challenge. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

YDD 2, no testing. Positive for DQ8 and DQ6. Possible DH. Gluten free as of 3/10/2011

#5 Hailiesmom08

Hailiesmom08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

Good to hear! Isn't the paleo diet very similar to the SCD diet?
I am on the diet with my daughter as well and it surely is not a cake walk.
My daughter is severely allergic to milk as well so we won't be making the yogurt either. I don't want to be in this with her yet be able to eat yogurt and tell her she can't so I'm just stating away from it as well.

#6 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

Yes, paleo is very similar to SCD and possibly even more restricted because of the exclusion of legumes as well. I'm actually thinking about starting over and getting back on the intro of SCD/GAPS...we've been having some new allergy symptoms and I think I rushed SCD and didn't let our guts heal completely. Plus we didn't do so well during the holidays so I think we need some help recovering from that. I'm going to follow GAPS this time which is pretty much the same except a little updated, talks more about fermented foods too. We're mainly having issues with coconut and nut flours so I think we rushed those.

#7 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

what's scd??

#8 Hailiesmom08

Hailiesmom08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

It stands for simple carbohydrate diet.

#9 salexander421

salexander421

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

what's scd??

Specific carbohydrate diet, works on healing the gut. Check out Breaking the Vicious Cycle. GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) is another one that is very similar to SCD but a little more updated and also works on healing the gut...this is what we're going to follow this time around since it seems to fit us a little better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: