17 replies to this topic

#1 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

Okay, I had started developing aches and pains and insomnia. Don't ask which came first, because I don't know...

Well, hubby travels frequently (but was home for December)....and left for a week long trip Monday.

Every day I have felt better. I have slept longer and deeper each day. I feel like a new person.

We both snore, but his snoring wakes me up, and evidently it bothers me even when I "sleep".

So, I bought some Breathe Right strips for him, and ear plugs for me. He's going to be just thrilled but I can't think of anything else...a friend suggested a mouth piece (works for her hubs -she has sleep issues when he snores).

Lack of sleep is contributing to so many aches, swelling in my hands, mental function and my daily functioning. I can't do it...

Any other suggestions?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Try an get him to sleep on his side. Easier said then done I know. I had to slide my hand flat under his back then make a fist. The uncomfortable feeling of having a fist in your back works instantly. Be ready to guide him unto his side.

If the snoring has been increasing over time, send him to the dentist. Some dental issues cause snoring.

I can't sleep without my husband's snoring. The dentist "fixed" something and he stopped snoring suddenly. I couldn't sleep and had to resort to leaving the t.v. on. :rolleyes:
Michigan

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

I've done the side thing but he has a hard time (shoulder injury) AND he snores on his side (so do I).

We're quite the pair.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

You can try:
Get him to sleep on his side, a pillow with a neck support--it cradles the head and stops the snoring, a white noise machine--it works well for me.

Separate bedrooms ?(last resort)

I refused to do that--I like him next to me :)

My guy tends to snore if he flips on his back. I sympathize with you because I am such a light sleeper, I wake up if the guy down the road snores. :rolleyes:

We need our sleep!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 aikido

aikido

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

The best thing both you and your husband could do, is to go and seek medical advice from your GP. As snoring is playing havoc with both your lives. Even though my parents sleep in their room, both of them wake me up during the night as well as my brother. They all snore and it is a real pain.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

The best thing both you and your husband could do, is to go and seek medical advice from your GP. As snoring is playing havoc with both your lives. Even though my parents sleep in their room, both of them wake me up during the night as well as my brother. They all snore and it is a real pain.

That would be great but I've found it goes something like dx'ing Celiac....

The mouth piece is what my hubs had a long time ago for teeth grinding..of course, he needed major dental work directly after he got it so it no longer fit. I have had mouth pieces suggested by doctors - the first things they suggest are side sleeping, allergies, devices, seperate beds...so it takes a while to arrive at new alternatives. Oh, and of course they want to give you pills.

I have considered requesting a sleep study.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#7 grayangel

grayangel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have considered requesting a sleep study.

This certainly couldn't hurt. Snoring can sometimes accompany sleep-disordered breathing -- apnea, noctural desaturation, etc. (which can be hard on the heart) which a sleep study could diagnose and a CPAP or BiPAP mask could fix. Some people don't tolerate these well, but some find that their quality of sleep is dramatically better. I imagine it would increase the quality of your sleep, anyway -- it has to be easier to sleep through the hum of a CPAP unit than deal with frequent awakenings from snoring.

Good luck!

#8 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

My hubby used to snore loud enough to wake the dead, but even worse..he'd stop snoring. I'd nudge him and he'd make a snort and resume. It got really bad and I insisted he see the Dr. about it. It turned out he has severe sleep apnea. He now uses a CPap machine. It's like sleeping next to someone on a noisy ventilator. :blink:
I finally retreated to the guest room. My sleep improved quite a bit. We still "visit" each other, but sleep seperately.
I hope you find a solution.

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

We talked about it last night...

We're going to try the strips and earplugs and probably a mouth guard, and take it from there. He's open to more energy and if better sleep (less snoring) does it he's probably in board.

A CPAP would be difficult for frequent business travel, no?

He should be home in 2 hours! Yay!

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#10 grayangel

grayangel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

A CPAP would be difficult for frequent business travel, no?

I don't know a lot about it, but I do know that they make CPAP machines specifically for travel that can also be used as the main home unit when not traveling.

It's great that you guys are able to talk about it. Hope the strips and mouth guard work! Glad he'll be home soon! :)

#11 TeknoLen

TeknoLen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

I had modest success with nasal strips and a product called Alkalol, an herbal liquid solution to flush the nostrils and sinuses. If you try it, be sure to buy the accessory "nasal douche cup" (no kidding). It seemed to soothe my inflamed sinuses, which was the primary cause of my snoring. It partly moderated my snoring, but not completely. Since going gluten-free my nasal Inflamation seems to have calmed down so I do not have to use it much any more. PS you may notice "caramel coloring" on the label. I confirmed with manufacturer that this was from corn and not wheat... Good luck and sweet dreams....
  • self-dx gluten-sensitive 2007 but did not take it seriously
  • dx autoimmune Graves hyperthyroidism 9-7-11
  • second opinion doctor confirmed autoimmune hyperthyroid dx, suggested possible autoimmune thyroid-gluten sensitivity connection
  • medication-induced hyperthyroid remission 11-4-11
  • lab test dx gluten, casein, ovalbumin, and soy sensitive 12-15-11
  • taking diet seriously now, strict GFCFSF diet...

#12 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

My husband has a bad snoring issue and yes, it does mess with your own sleep. My hubby now has a specially fitted mouth piece. He first tested for sleep apnea and there was a slight issue but not enough to have to be hooked to machine at night. He tried the breathing strips, didn't work. I was sleeping with a pillow ovber my head but still many times would find myself trying for an hour to get him to stop sleeping and then I would have a time getting back to sleep. It didn't always have a spare room but I spent many nights sleeping on the couch.

I then found this ad for a mouth poiece and I bought it for him. IT WORKED! only thing is it shifted his bottom jaw forward and made his jaw ache the next morn so he went to the dentist. They fitted him with his own mouth piece to wear at night that has just the right tension and is built for his mouth. IT WORKS like a charm.

Alcohol will make the snoring worse so if he has anything to drink he now just sleeps in the spare room.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#13 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

My husband snores terrible. He has had chronic sinus issues for a long time and had sinus surgery a few years back. Recently I convinced him to use a neti pot to irrigate. I've noticed he is snoring less. He also mentioned that he doen't have as much post nasal drainage and it is helping to relieve some of his "allergy" symptoms.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

Well, we tried the strips last night. The snoring was bad at all - but some nights he's worse than others so who knows.

My earplugs fell out in the middle of the night...so I'll need different ones if they prove to be a solution.

I did wake up once - I think I was having a hot flash or had too many blankets. Couldn't go back to sleep easily so I turned in the tv for white noise and was out like a light.

I do notice I sleep in my side more when he's in the bed (even if I have plenty of room foot lay flat) and THAT isn't good since I wake up with a backache. And I wake up several times because of the backache...so it's a constant effort to remember to sleep on my back. We have a king size bed - cant get any more room (unless I kick the 80 lb dog off, but he jumps down after we all fall asleep, anyway).

I tried a nose strip, too. I woke up twice trying to rub it off. Finally took the stupid thing off.

So, overall not bad. Forgot to take my Claritin last night and I'm all stuffed up. Yuck.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#15 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

I hope you work out something that helps you both sleep better. Ear plugs didn't work for me. I need to be able to hear household noises like the phone, dogs, and what about the smoke alarm? :o

My hubby has a "home" CPap and a travel one, which is more compact. He travels for his job and goes to other countries. In Europe the airports really look the machine over to make sure it isn't some sort of explosive device. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: