This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Case Of The Missing Wheat Bread

CaylumandJoshua

CaylumandJoshua Newbie

Hello all, I am new here and needed something creative to get you to read this post! LOL Look forward to talking with you all. ;) Any ideas or help you can recommend would be great.

I decided right before the New Year to go Gluten-Free for 2 weeks on the 1st due to my Ulcerative Colitis flaring up as well as the fact that my 2 year old son is suffering from constant ezcema/hives.

Here is a little about my health history:

2 yrs old - Diagnosed with Asthma

4 yrs old - Severe reaction to Macadamia nuts. Rushed to hospital.

5 yrs - Severe reaction to fish sticks at school.

8 yrs old - Doctor told my mom they thought I might be allergic to milk due my complaints of stomach ache, but I never had any "formal" food allergy testing done.

11 yrs old - On vacation in Oregon. Caught crabs - just touching it I broke out in hives all over.

16 yrs old - Started suffering Depression

23 yrs old - Random patches of Ezcema/Psoriasis start appearing on hands, ankles.

29 yrs old - Started having extremely itchy/rashy legs that would come and go. Anxiety.

30 yrs old - Diagnosed as having Depression, Anxiety and add. Put on adderall so i could focus. Chronic fatigue.First signs of irritable bowel appear.

31 yrs old - Diagnosed Chronic Sinisitis

32 years old - Diagnosed Ulcerative colitis.

So here I am. Im thinking at the very least I have a wheat sensitivity after my gluten-free challenge. I didn't last the full 2 weeks but it was like a mack truck hit me the day after I ingested gluten! I can not even explain what that day was like... I might as well have moved into the bathroom. :D Sorry if tmi...

Positive things about going gluten-free: less gas/bloating/discomfort, less trips to the restroom & more ENERGY!

If that didn't sell me on a gluten-free diet I don't know what will!

Allergies I am confirmed to have: Walnuts, Macadamia Nuts, Fish, Crabs. These are all severe and my throat will start to swell etc. I can however eat Peanuts, Almonds, Cashews, Shrimp. I suspect I may have a potato or oil, egg allergy as well as the wheat problem.

Odd thing is before I even considered the possibility that I had Celiac I wondered if my son had it. He was severely Colic as a baby. He was diagnosed as failure to thrive after only gaining 1 lb. after 2 months. Since then he has always been in the 20% for weight. He had GERD. He had minor cradle cap. We tested him for soy and milk allergies around 4 months which came back negative. At 6 months he tried Oatmeal cereal and threw up after eating it. He had ezcema from 3 months to 11 months old. His ezcema seemed to disappear for awhile - but returned when he was around 17 months. I do not remember feeding him any different during that time frame. He has had severe reactions to eggs and peanuts. I have not been able to pinpoint if wheat or milk is actually causing an issue with him. I will (hopefully) get some answers Monday when he is getting allergy tested. He seemed to be ok with almonds, but I gave him some gluten-free granola last week that has almonds and it seemed like he may have had a reaction. ;(

\

I am getting tested next Thursday so I officially had to start eating gluten again tonight. My stomach is already grumbling away!

I am considering this my 'goodbye to gluten party' and will be eating all the worst foods! I will miss my chicago deep dish pizza, my cheeseburgers...*sigh*

Has anyone here had any of the same problems as me and been diagnosed Celiac? I really hope I can get some answers next week! Does anyone have celiac and an egg allergy?

Thanks!

Erin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Hello all, I am new here and needed something creative to get you to read this post! LOL Look forward to talking with you all. ;) Any ideas or help you can recommend would be great.

I decided right before the New Year to go Gluten-Free for 2 weeks on the 1st due to my Ulcerative Colitis flaring up as well as the fact that my 2 year old son is suffering from constant ezcema/hives.

Here is a little about my health history:

2 yrs old - Diagnosed with Asthma

4 yrs old - Severe reaction to Macadamia nuts. Rushed to hospital.

5 yrs - Severe reaction to fish sticks at school.

8 yrs old - Doctor told my mom they thought I might be allergic to milk due my complaints of stomach ache, but I never had any "formal" food allergy testing done.

11 yrs old - On vacation in Oregon. Caught crabs - just touching it I broke out in hives all over.

16 yrs old - Started suffering Depression

23 yrs old - Random patches of Ezcema/Psoriasis start appearing on hands, ankles.

29 yrs old - Started having extremely itchy/rashy legs that would come and go. Anxiety.

30 yrs old - Diagnosed as having Depression, Anxiety and add. Put on adderall so i could focus. Chronic fatigue.First signs of irritable bowel appear.

31 yrs old - Diagnosed Chronic Sinisitis

32 years old - Diagnosed Ulcerative colitis.

So here I am. Im thinking at the very least I have a wheat sensitivity after my gluten-free challenge. I didn't last the full 2 weeks but it was like a mack truck hit me the day after I ingested gluten! I can not even explain what that day was like... I might as well have moved into the bathroom. :D Sorry if tmi...

Positive things about going gluten-free: less gas/bloating/discomfort, less trips to the restroom & more ENERGY!

If that didn't sell me on a gluten-free diet I don't know what will!

Allergies I am confirmed to have: Walnuts, Macadamia Nuts, Fish, Crabs. These are all severe and my throat will start to swell etc. I can however eat Peanuts, Almonds, Cashews, Shrimp. I suspect I may have a potato or oil, egg allergy as well as the wheat problem.

Odd thing is before I even considered the possibility that I had Celiac I wondered if my son had it. He was severely Colic as a baby. He was diagnosed as failure to thrive after only gaining 1 lb. after 2 months. Since then he has always been in the 20% for weight. He had GERD. He had minor cradle cap. We tested him for soy and milk allergies around 4 months which came back negative. At 6 months he tried Oatmeal cereal and threw up after eating it. He had ezcema from 3 months to 11 months old. His ezcema seemed to disappear for awhile - but returned when he was around 17 months. I do not remember feeding him any different during that time frame. He has had severe reactions to eggs and peanuts. I have not been able to pinpoint if wheat or milk is actually causing an issue with him. I will (hopefully) get some answers Monday when he is getting allergy tested. He seemed to be ok with almonds, but I gave him some gluten-free granola last week that has almonds and it seemed like he may have had a reaction. ;(

\

I am getting tested next Thursday so I officially had to start eating gluten again tonight. My stomach is already grumbling away!

I am considering this my 'goodbye to gluten party' and will be eating all the worst foods! I will miss my chicago deep dish pizza, my cheeseburgers...*sigh*

Has anyone here had any of the same problems as me and been diagnosed Celiac? I really hope I can get some answers next week! Does anyone have celiac and an egg allergy?

Thanks!

Erin

Many of your symptoms could point to Celiac. Some of your sons' too? If going on gluten for testing is affecting you I think you have part of your answer? Be aware that some of us have negative blood tests but have Celiac or gluten intollerance in spite of those tests.

Once your testing is done, try a very strict gluten-free diet. You don't need a DX to stay gluten-free if it makes you feel better.

Many Celiacs have other food intolerances/allergies. It's very common. The trick is figuring out what they are. You seem to have a good idea of what "gets" you?

Good luck on your testing. I hope you get the answers you're seeking.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Err..forgot to answer to the "case of the missing wheat bread"..We ain't gonna go looking for it! LOL :D

CaylumandJoshua Newbie

Here I am a little over 24 hours into my 'farewell gluten' party and Im not sure if I can do it. Well I can do it, because I want to know if Celiac is the root of all these health problems of mine. But my poor children are being tortured. ;/

Gluten for punishment!

My 2 year old is literally scratching away like mad at his skin. I made sure no eggs in his food today... So why does he have raised red skin with these little bumps all over? Wheat has got to be part of his issues. Will they diagnosis him Celiac if my test comes back positive? Im thinking about going back to gluten & egg free but I worry my test won't come back as Celiac if I have it. My family is one of those that don't really believe I have something unless I get a diagnosis. But I don't want to torture my 2 yr old all weekend until his testing Monday morning. If they determine my 2 year old has Celiac and I have the house go back to gluten-free after his testing Monday morning will they diagnosis me Celiac even if my test comes back negative?

My 5 month old seems to have eczema appear all over his whole body since we got the ok to start solids. He is the opposite of my 2 yr old - did not have GERD, no failure to thrive, in fact LOVES food. My 2 yr old was not a fan of solids. He has doubled his birth weight and then some. He does have horrible cradle cap we are still battling with! It seemed like his eczema was better when I was not on wheat. He is breastfed no formula feedings. He also is fed organic brown rice cereal once a day (either morning or bedtime)mixed with breastmilk. We will also usually have one fruit or vegetable a day. I have a food journal on baby and we have had questionable reactions to banana, broccoli, strawberry.

Any thoughts/advise?

On another note I have been reading a lot of the other postings here and would never have connected some of my minor symptoms as possibly being celiac - night sweats, trouble swallowing.

Thanks!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

For tests results to come back with an accurate reading you have to be eating gluten regularly. Going off gluten will throw the tests off. They say you shouldn't go gluten-free until all testing is done, which includes an Endoscope, if they want to do one.

If your tests come back negative, it's still a good idea to give the gluten-free diet a try to see if your symptoms improve. You could be one who's blood tests negative, but have Celiac (which is my case) or you may be gluten intolerant, which doesn't show up on tests.

Your son's rash *could* be the skin form of Celiac, which they test for by doing a biopsy of the skin right next to the lesions.

They won't DX your son with Celiac based on your tests, although if you have the gentic test done it may show if you share the "Celiac genes" which would make it more likely that he could have it.

CaylumandJoshua Newbie

My 2 year old was tested today for Celiac as well as the following food allergies - corn, wheat, casein, milk, soybean, peanuts, almonds, cashew, macadamia, hazelnut, brazil nuts, walnuts, pecan, cinnamon, oregano, egg whites, bakers yeast, oat and trout.

Doctor says he has the dh rash...

I feel 99% sure he's going to come back celiac and allergic to peanuts, eggs. I will keep you posted on the results! I am on pins & needles and can not wait 7 days. Eek.

My testing is Thursday. Only 3 more days of gluten punishment!

The last 3 things on my gluten party list: Krispy Kreme, Chicago Deep Dish Pizza and a Squeeze Burger. O_o

Archived