This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Also Corn Product Info...chips Especially?

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

Hi again. I am trying to test out corn in my diet. I seem to be okay with small amounts, but then the last time that I tried I felt very sick. I love the Popcorn Indiana brand, but they only guarantee to 20ppm contamination. I also tried Donkey Chips tortilla chips, and I think that I felt a little issue. They did not respond to my ppm contamination questions. I think that they might gluten me, but I'm not sure yet. I have also eaten Xotle in the past, but also not sure about them. My biggest question about corn chips aside from contamination in processing...is the contamination of the oils that they use. Popcorn IN did not respond either to that question. If there are oils used that are also processed on equipment with gluten containing oils, then I react. I had to go through a few olive oils and lots of questions before I found safe ones that I don't react to. Does any super-sensitve have some chips or other corn products that they don't react to. I have said this before, but I react to anything that has tested 10ppm and above for sure and repeatedly. I am also happy to hear any recipes that don't include dairy or soy! Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

I know there are some GFCO certified corn chips that should test below 10 ppm, although I haven't tried many of them.

Anita's Mexican Foods, Food Should Taste Good, Late July, Live Better Brand, Prime Choice Foods, and R. W. Garcia Company are all companies that make corn chips and are GFCO certified.

How soon do you need to know re: the corn? If you're willing to wait, for a really, super clean corn sample, with no other allergens or contamination from anything, you might want to look at trying just plain corn this summer when it's in season. You could get fresh corn still in the husk at the store, or even grow it yourself. If GMO's are a concern, however, you'll want to see if you can find organic corn, as almost all regular corn now is genetically modified.

If you decide to try your hand at gardening, hopefully you'll be a better gardener than me, because my corn yield was so pathetic I didn't even get a good size for a test sample, LOL. Gotta try again this year. :D

shayre Enthusiast

Thank you. I am afraid to try brands that only test to 10ppm, because I've been burned too many times now with hoping that it would be "less than 10ppm". I feel safe at 5ppm. I know that you are the same, so did you NOT react to any of those brands that you listed? That will be what I feel that I can try:)

Ugy, the GMOs...I feel like cussing. Why do they want to do that to everyone? I am so upset by that! Don't they know that it's killing people in other countries that we ship food to? Why would I eat it or feed it to my kids! Do you know where I can find out more about what GMOs that my family may be eating? My hubby buys baked and sweet potatoes from the store that I wonder about. I still buy fruit and produce from the regular store, but most other shopping is done at Whole Foods. Our foods bills are just outrageous:( Is there any other produce that I should only be buying organice to avoid GMOs?

I just said this in the other post, but I live in a subdivision. Yard space is smaller, so a garden might be possible...but it would have to be tiny. I've thought about it lots.

dws Contributor

Hi again. I am trying to test out corn in my diet. I seem to be okay with small amounts, but then the last time that I tried I felt very sick. I love the Popcorn Indiana brand, but they only guarantee to 20ppm contamination. I also tried Donkey Chips tortilla chips, and I think that I felt a little issue. They did not respond to my ppm contamination questions. I think that they might gluten me, but I'm not sure yet. I have also eaten Xotle in the past, but also not sure about them. My biggest question about corn chips aside from contamination in processing...is the contamination of the oils that they use. Popcorn IN did not respond either to that question. If there are oils used that are also processed on equipment with gluten containing oils, then I react. I had to go through a few olive oils and lots of questions before I found safe ones that I don't react to. Does any super-sensitve have some chips or other corn products that they don't react to. I have said this before, but I react to anything that has tested 10ppm and above for sure and repeatedly. I am also happy to hear any recipes that don't include dairy or soy! Thank you!

I've also been trying corn again. I've done ok with Maseca Corn Flour (finer than corn meal). Unlike most corn meal producers/packagers, they do not handle any kind of wheat products. I noted in someone else's posting on another site that they are very honest about not being in control over cross contamination during transportation to their facility by others. The company is called Azteca Milling Co. You can use it to make your own tortillas, pupusas, etc. I sometimes just make corn fritters with them-just add water,onions,celery and salt and pepper, flatten and fry in olive oil. Check out their web site if you are interested. I think with corn, the issue is cross contamination so whole fresh unshucked corn might be the safest.
T.H. Community Regular

I am afraid to try brands that only test to 10ppm, because I've been burned too many times now with hoping that it would be "less than 10ppm". I feel safe at 5ppm. I know that you are the same, so did you NOT react to any of those brands that you listed? That will be what I feel that I can try:)

The only one's I tried were the R. W. Garcia Company chips and those didn't sit too well with me. Other than those, I've only seen the Late July chips in my area, out of that list, but they have one of my allergens so they'd be out for me anyway. My daughter has tried the Late July chips, however, and seemed to do okay. She does okay with small amounts of mostly to <5-10 ppm foods. Usually doesn't have much more than a bowl of the chip/processed food a day, though.

ciamarie Rookie

Ugy, the GMOs...I feel like cussing. Why do they want to do that to everyone? I am so upset by that! Don't they know that it's killing people in other countries that we ship food to? Why would I eat it or feed it to my kids! Do you know where I can find out more about what GMOs that my family may be eating? My hubby buys baked and sweet potatoes from the store that I wonder about. I still buy fruit and produce from the regular store, but most other shopping is done at Whole Foods. Our foods bills are just outrageous:( Is there any other produce that I should only be buying organice to avoid GMOs?

Try this, Open Original Shared Link site.

The things I avoid are any sugar that doesn't specify 'cane sugar', as well as avoiding most corn that isn't labeled organic or non-gmo. I was happy to see that Rumford baking powder labels theirs as non-gmo. I also avoid zuchini (s?) if it's not organic. I probably need to look at the list again myself, those are the ones I remember off-hand. Oh yeah, and I avoid all soy, at least for the moment, I may try organic soy at some point. And I may break down and eat a candy bar with soy lecithin on rare occasions.

Archived