9 replies to this topic

#1 shayre

shayre

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi. Does anyone have any safe sloppy joe recipes? I can cook this for my family.

Does any super-sensitive have a sloppy joe recipe that I could eat too? My first priority yummy food for my family, but it would also be nice to have a recipe for myself too! I find that I can react to ground hamburger too. I haven't found any that I can handle, but I haven't been looking around since being glutened from the grocer and prepacked angus burgers at Whole Foods.

I would love some recipes!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thankfully Sloppy Joe recipes are almost always naturally gluten free. This is a basic recipe from which to build on by adding your own bits and pieces:
http://www.cookscoun...tcode=L2AN2AA00

Hope you can find great tasting ground beef! I am not super sensitive by any stretch so I am afraid I cannot help you there. I have never had any problems with ground beef or meat for that matter. Sorry!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 Wenmin

Wenmin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Manwich is gluten free

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

My family likes this recipe http://www.mennonite...loppy-joes.html
be sure to get gluten-free ingredients.

It is possible to be allergic to beef. It might be the stuff they add to it sometimes to keep bacteria at bay, rather than gluten. Goggle pink slime and ground beef.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 shayre

shayre

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

My family likes this recipe http://www.mennonite...loppy-joes.html
be sure to get gluten-free ingredients.

It is possible to be allergic to beef. It might be the stuff they add to it sometimes to keep bacteria at bay, rather than gluten. Goggle pink slime and ground beef.

Yuck! Really? Yes, I don't react to steak, but just ground beef. Someone else on here said that they couldn't find clean ground beef, because they seem to use the same grinders for sausages with gluten, etc. I just attributed it to that. I actually have a "gluten" reaction from it. I have nueromuscular issues and brain fog from gluten, not necessarily gut problems. I never feel sick to my stomach from glutening. But...yuck anyway! I try to stay away from any additives.

Thank you for the ideas and recipes:)

#6 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Yuck! Really? Yes, I don't react to steak, but just ground beef. Someone else on here said that they couldn't find clean ground beef, because they seem to use the same grinders for sausages with gluten, etc. I just attributed it to that. I actually have a "gluten" reaction from it. I have nueromuscular issues and brain fog from gluten, not necessarily gut problems. I never feel sick to my stomach from glutening. But...yuck anyway! I try to stay away from any additives.

Thank you for the ideas and recipes:)

Can you just buy a piece of good beef (a chuck roast or whatever) and grind it yourself? I would think for the quantity you would need for Sloppy Joes that you could even use a food processor if you don't have a meat grinder.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Can you just buy a piece of good beef (a chuck roast or whatever) and grind it yourself? I would think for the quantity you would need for Sloppy Joes that you could even use a food processor if you don't have a meat grinder.

Yes!! Go directly to the butcher.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Thankfully Sloppy Joe recipes are almost always naturally gluten free. This is a basic recipe from which to build on by adding your own bits and pieces:
http://www.cookscoun...tcode=L2AN2AA00

Hope you can find great tasting ground beef! I am not super sensitive by any stretch so I am afraid I cannot help you there. I have never had any problems with ground beef or meat for that matter. Sorry!

I made this tonight. Very good. Of course, Picky Child wouldn't eat it.

Hubs did ask where the Schar rolls were. He doesn't like Udi's.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 Leakygut

Leakygut

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Mom's Favorite Sloppy Joes

3/4 pound ground beef
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon bell pepper, chopped
salt, pepper, garlic salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce

Brown beef, onions, bell pepper in fry pan.

Add remaining ingredients.

Simmer 30 minutes or til thickened.

Add some water if too thick.

Heat delicious non-gluten bread and enjoy!!! Voila!

#10 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

I made these the other day and they were great! Half the mixture is finely chopped cabbage - you can't taste it at all. My picky-eater 9 year old ate two and my husband, who claims to hate cabbage, didn't even notice. The sauce was a bit sweet, so I reduced the amount of sugar - still very sweet. I will use our other recipe for the sauce next time, but keep adding the cabbage.

http://allrecipes.co...oes/detail.aspx

Cara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: