10 replies to this topic

#1 Ginsou

Ginsou

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

I haven't purchased Udi's Hamburger buns for the past year because I found them unpalatable and not like what they used to be when they first started selling them. I also noticed they were not being sold in the stores where I used to buy them, and when I inquired I found myself being steered to other brands, which were't up to par either. I have been staying in Tucson, AZ for the past 3 weeks, and thought I'd give them another try...I was yearning for burgers and fries. Found some Udi's frozen whole grain buns at Sunflower Market, and they were so soft and delicious when thawed out, I went back and purchased 3 more packages to take home. Has anyone noticed a change for the better in this product?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MindytheOrganist

MindytheOrganist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

I've not purchased Udi's buns in a while, but will do so again based on your observations, just to see.

I picked up some Schar rolls (which can be sliced and used for hamburger buns), and they have improved some. Still not quite there yet.

#3 Dr. Jill

Dr. Jill

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'm new to the gluten-free diet so I don't have previous experience with Udi's hamburger buns, but I will say that they are rather good. The texture and the taste seem good enough for me, and before my diagnosis I was a bread maniac! Makes giving up "real" bread not so bad.
Psychologist with Celiac Disease. Diagnosed Fall 2011.

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have only purchased the buns once and that was in about July so cannot compare.

However, I have purchased Udi's bread and have found the slice to be even smaller than they were. They look like they would perhaps feed a gnat. And the holes! My loaf had huge holes all the way through the bread like a tunnel. All that for $7.49. I still do have a loaf of Genius bread which I must say I prefer to Udi's and only $4.99. I like to make my own bread - there is something about taking a fresh loaf out of the oven and smearing it with butter or preserves.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

Funny you posted this.

I am in Tucson, but I didn't buy my last bag at Sunflower.

Anyway, I noticed IN THE SAME BAG one bun had a different texture than the other two I thawed.

What's up with that???
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Tried them over the past month, LOVE them. They taste good and hold together better than others. I find if I lightly toast them, it helps.

#7 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

Funny you posted this.

I am in Tucson, but I didn't buy my last bag at Sunflower.

Anyway, I noticed IN THE SAME BAG one bun had a different texture than the other two I thawed.

What's up with that???

That's quite interesting....maybe some were from a different batch? Maybe some whole grain ones got mixed up with non-whole grain?

#8 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

I have only purchased the buns once and that was in about July so cannot compare.

However, I have purchased Udi's bread and have found the slice to be even smaller than they were. They look like they would perhaps feed a gnat. And the holes! My loaf had huge holes all the way through the bread like a tunnel. All that for $7.49. I still do have a loaf of Genius bread which I must say I prefer to Udi's and only $4.99. I like to make my own bread - there is something about taking a fresh loaf out of the oven and smearing it with butter or preserves.

I had stopped purchasing Udi's because of the tunnels, some of which were large enough for a mouse...and the price and small size of the package. I have switched to Rudi's 18 ounce loaf at a more reasonable price. I will try Genius if I ever come across it....I saw it advertised in Living Without magazine. Some Safeway stores now carry Rudi's, along with Kroger and Basha's Supermarkets. Of course, you can always order, but there are times when I get so hungry I have to have some no matter how far I have to drive.I have many food allergies, and the older I get, the less I want to spend my whole day cooking everything from scratch. As soon as I use up all my bread mixes, I will no longer attempt to bake that perfect loaf of bread.

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

That's quite interesting....maybe some were from a different batch? Maybe some whole grain ones got mixed up with non-whole grain?

Maybe a different batch, but doubtful. They were both the same grain. One was just harder than the others. It was weird.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Lucky me, I've never had the major holes in their bread that others have mentioned.

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Lucky me, I've never had the major holes in their bread that others have mentioned.

I've only bought a few loaves (several months ago - still have two in the freezer) and the last loaf had to be used for filler for meatloaf and so on because there was no way I was going to toast air! Wouldn't have worked so well for spreading on some jam. Where would it go? <_<
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: