This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has Anyone Been Glutened From gluten-free Chicken Broth?

shayre

shayre Enthusiast

I just made two dishes with chicken broth this week. I am wondering if any other ss got glutened from Pacific or Imagine chicken broths. They both say gluten free, but I also didn't check to see if they test and at what ppm. I thought that I was ok once before on Pacific, but now I can't remember which one that I used. I also used Pad Thai rice noodles, but I also used them before with seemingly no reaction. The only think that I could think would be the broth or the store brand frozen lima beans. I did try a few other new things too, so I am just narrowing down my offenders. I get so hungry sometimes that I just want food, and my common sense goes out the door! I should know to only try one thing and wait, but...I get weak and impatient:( Now here I am left trying to figure it out the hard way what glutened me. Oh well, I was wondering about the broths anyway, so that would be helpful to know. I tried a couple of new things last night, but it is too soon for my very timely symptoms to come on. I don't know how to make my own broth either...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, I can't help with the product knowledge but broth is easy.

Take a whole chicken (giblets removed) and place in a big pot. Cover with water. Add a few onions, garlic, stalks of celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, carrots and simmer til cooked. Remove chicken, debone. Save the meat and either add the bones back to the pot and simmer more or strain and reserve stock. Use chicken as needed.

IrishHeart Veteran

The Pacific brand has never bothered me.

I have also used Kitchen Basics stocks without any trouble. NO MSG either--which always bites me on the butt when I try packaged stuff. (even if it does not say MSG on the label)

But I almost always make my own :)

I have always used Julia Child's method of making stock since I first started playing around in the kitchen, but here is a quickie version for you:

Open Original Shared Link

domesticactivist Collaborator

Another vote here for making your own stock! It's so easy, saves so much money, reduces waste - plus, it's yummier and you know exactly what's in it!

alex11602 Collaborator

I don't use store bought stock since I prefer having my own. When I don't have time to simmer stock for a few hours I will take chicken or beef, brown it and then put it in water with seasonings to simmer for 20 min to a half hour.

This past week I did it with beef and put potatoes and carrots in the water with it and took it off the stove when the veggies were tender, it was a fairly quick comforting meal.

mushroom Proficient

I know you know this shayre, so I won't belabor, but you really can't find out what's bothering you when you add a whole bunch of things at once :rolleyes: Sorry, it's the mama in me :D

love2travel Mentor

Homemade stock of any kind is always better. It is delicious and keeps (and freezes) well. You can easily make your own beef stock and mushroom or vegetable broth. You can simmer it for a couple of hours while you are doing something else so the time it takes is inactive time once everything is in the pot. Stock - you use bones; broth - you do not. Browning bones first adds optimal flavour - same for making gravy. It is awesome! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I'll second the only add one thing per week advice. I know it's hard to go without and I don't always follow that rule either. You can eat as much of what you are eating as you like, but who wants to eat 10 bananas?

I am crazy sensitive, but I think I have been glutened by chicken broth and even to a lesser extent, by chicken. I had a pasture fed chicken source for awhile, and I could eat tons of that.

Good luck figuring things out. Be patient.

shayre Enthusiast

Thank you. Yes, I am impatient sometimes, but sometimes I feel like I have no control over my stomach at all. If it's in the house, and I'm hungry...my brain doesn't stand a chance:( Thank you for the good advice!

Skylark Collaborator

Well, I can't help with the product knowledge but broth is easy.

Take a whole chicken (giblets removed) and place in a big pot. Cover with water. Add a few onions, garlic, stalks of celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, carrots and simmer til cooked. Remove chicken, debone. Save the meat and either add the bones back to the pot and simmer more or strain and reserve stock. Use chicken as needed.

Remove giblets??? Send 'em to me! Giblets give great flavor to broth. So does the neck.

When you throw the bones back in to simmer, add a little apple cider vinegar. The acid will leach calcium and minerals out of the bones and make the broth even more nutritious.

IrishHeart Veteran

Remove giblets??? Send 'em to me! Giblets give great flavor to broth. So does the neck.

When you throw the bones back in to simmer, add a little apple cider vinegar. The acid will leach calcium and minerals out of the bones and make the broth even more nutritious.

I am giggling a bit right now, Sky ---because I can almost hear Julia Child saying this in that voice of hers. I, too, do the vinegar splash as she recommended ....and she threw EVERYTHING in the pot. Whatever was left of the chicken, it went in.

I learned to cook as a little kid watching her on a black and white TV. (dating myself here :rolleyes: )

salexander421 Enthusiast

We recently started reacting to pacific brand, haven't tried the imagine brand. We now make our own too and it is so economical. I buy our chickens for $1.59/lb, a whole chicken is usually around $6 or $7. I usually get about 12 cups of stock from the one chicken plus the meat...pacific chicken stock is usually close to $4 for 4 cups! And, the homemade stuff is SO much better for you!

• 2 weeks later...
cap6 Enthusiast

Costco has an organic gluten free chicken broth, their Kirkland brand. I've tried it and with some spices added it is pretty good

Archived