36 replies to this topic

#31 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

I like the SCD; however, my biggest issue with it is that the site and book seem outdated. The other big issue I have is their pushing of the homemade yogurt even if you have a bad reaction to milk. I believe in the book she mentions to go for it unless you are anaphylactic. Many of us have allergic reactions to milk that are not anaphylactic but are also not simple lactose intolerance. One theory they use is that you are depriving the bacteria of food; however, many of the foods they recommend are high in sugars. What's worse is that many are high in fructose, a gi issue for many.

Still, I do think it is worth a trial. I am eating paleo and having good success with that. I do avoid certain foods that SCD says to avoid.

Like with everything, you have to find what works for you and that may be different than what works for me and everybody else.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Hailiesmom08

Hailiesmom08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

I agree it is very outdated, we bought the book and view the website as our guide but we do not by any means follow it strictly. No we don't eat any of the illegal foods but we haven't made the home made yogurt or cottage cheese as my daughter does have anaphylactic reactions to dairy. I have found a few new recipes in the book such as the muffins that turned out amazing! I feel it's been a good starting point for us. With all of this being so new I have been overwhelmed now that im digesting it all I will be doing more research on other diets such as the GAPS and paleo diets.

My daughter is going to be 4 next month and has had stomach issues since 2 weeks old. My husband and I have discovered all of her allergies/intolerances on our own doctors honestly haven't done jack for us aside from telling us she has 5 ft of poo backed up in her.
With her being so restricted and her birthday only 3 weeks away I'm stressing about what to do for her birthday cake/cupcakes.

#33 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

With her being so restricted and her birthday only 3 weeks away I'm stressing about what to do for her birthday cake/cupcakes.

I am not extremely familiar with SCD so I'm just throwing this out there. Is there any cookie recipe that you can make? We made a cookie cake for my youngest because we couldn't figure out a safe cake to make. The one we made was a grain free vegan chocolate chip cookie made with honey from Elana's Pantry and instead of putting the chocolate chips into the dough I put them on top in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head since she was having a Mickey and Minnie party.

P.S. I hope that your daughter has a wonderful birthday and that you will both be healthy and happy.

#34 Hailiesmom08

Hailiesmom08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

Alex11602- Their are a few cookie recipes in yhe book that ok going to make this weened to see if she likes them. Do you haopen to have a libk of the recipe you made? Sounds like my daughter can have everything aside the chocolate chips as sugar is a no no right now. But honey is okay!
Thank you I am very excited for her party! They grow up soo fast :/

#35 Hailiesmom08

Hailiesmom08

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Goodness looks like I need more coffee this AM, you said where you got the recipe lol
Going to look at her website now!
Thank you!

#36 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

Alex11602- Their are a few cookie recipes in yhe book that ok going to make this weened to see if she likes them. Do you haopen to have a libk of the recipe you made? Sounds like my daughter can have everything aside the chocolate chips as sugar is a no no right now. But honey is okay!
Thank you I am very excited for her party! They grow up soo fast :/

Chocolate chip cookies

I hope it will work for you. I just looked at the recipe again and it calls for agave nectar and I had changed it to an equal amount of honey and I used canola oil instead of grapeseed. And I hear you on the sugar thing...honey is the only one I can handle.

#37 Elizabeth5220

Elizabeth5220

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Doctors (and the medical tests they use) don't know everything. It was just a very short 60 years ago that the polio vaccine was developed. Heck, bloodletting was still in use in the 20th century! Listen to your body...it knows...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: