6 replies to this topic

#1 *charliesmum*

*charliesmum*

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have just got booked in for endoscopy procedure. Any advice? I havent had it done before and dont want sedation as will be driving myself there and back. Has anyone got any experiences of it they would like to share??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jeanzdyn

jeanzdyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Personally I could not have the endoscopy without sedation!! I have a very strong gag reflex. I came out of sedation a bit when they were removing the endoscope.

It can be done without heavy sedation -I have witnessed that. It is an uncomfortable procedure, but I would have liked to be able to watch the video feed!

Advice:
Learn a relaxation exercise, something to focus your attention away from what they are doing. Ask if you can have them play some kind of music that soothes you -or will they allow you to use an IPod (if you have such a device) and listen to music that is soothing to you.
Have a positive attitude, think "I can do this, I can get through this..."
or something, like a mantra you can say in your head.

and good luck to you!
What is food to one man may be fierce poison to others. —--Lucretius

I miss bread! But I love Kinnikinnick gluten free pizza crust.

Diagnosed celiac disease: November 2011 (biopsy and endoscopy)
other conditions: asthma, arthritis

#3 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I took the sedation and was totally unaware of the whole thing.My daughter also had sedation so unable to be of much help. Relaxation breathing the only thing that I can think about - other than scouring all your family and friends until you get a lift! Hope it goes well.

#4 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have just got booked in for endoscopy procedure. Any advice? I havent had it done before and dont want sedation as will be driving myself there and back. Has anyone got any experiences of it they would like to share??

In the US ,most if not all centers will not allow you to drive your self home. Check with your center and ask about this.
I would not have it done with out sedation,.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#5 *charliesmum*

*charliesmum*

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

In the US ,most if not all centers will not allow you to drive your self home. Check with your center and ask about this.
I would not have it done with out sedation,.

I am in the UK. You can drive home if you have it done without sedation. I also have 2 young children so cant really be falling asleep or feeling drowsy after I get out plus I want to be in and out as fast as possible. They give a numbing spray so im hoping thats enough. I dont think I will be overly anxious about it. I just keep thinking well it has to be done so lets just get it done lol. Im probably being quite naive but on the other hand maybe its better to not over think things.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,678 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Did you have a positive blood test? If you did you need the diet regardless of the endo results. You won't be really sleepy after you are done with the procedure but you can't drive if you have had sedation. Is there any way that you can get someone to drive you home? My concern is that because you won't be sedated the doctor might just do one or two biopsies instead of the 6 to 8 we should have done thus increasing you chances of a false negative.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 *charliesmum*

*charliesmum*

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Did you have a positive blood test? If you did you need the diet regardless of the endo results. You won't be really sleepy after you are done with the procedure but you can't drive if you have had sedation. Is there any way that you can get someone to drive you home? My concern is that because you won't be sedated the doctor might just do one or two biopsies instead of the 6 to 8 we should have done thus increasing you chances of a false negative.

My bloods were unclear. I dont even really understand them tbh. I scored 20 where the normal is between 0-15 and then the 2nd one said negative. I was told that if the 2nd one had been positive then the 1st would have been more reliable. I had to have further investigation as my dad is comfirmed coeliac and my son (2yrs old) has positive blood work and waiting on his biopsy results. Should have them by end of next week im hoping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: