This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy Free Food Lists

jcgirl

jcgirl Apprentice

My son has to do a dairy challenge, same as the gluten challenge to see if that is a cause of his symptoms. I have been searching for mainstream food lists that are dairy free. This site has been so helpful with gluten free products and I am hoping that someone may know where to direct me. Shopping is so hard these days, I am gluten-free and now I have to also shop DF. Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Lauire

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Lauire-

Hey there! There are plenty of CF people here who can help you. Another way of saying dairy free is CF--casein free. Casein is the protein in milk...so CF means, no milk. I have put a list below of milk based ingredients you need to watch out for. Also, try visiting this website, It has lots of gluten-free/CF food lists: Open Original Shared Link It for people or parents of kids with gluten-free/CF diets. A lot parents with autistic children have put their kids on this diet to help with symptoms. These two websites might help you too: Open Original Shared Link

this site is a CF food clearinghouse...

Open Original Shared Link

Remember lactose or dairy free doesn't necessarily mean milk/casein free. Good luck ! Oh, and one last thing...have you tried the Enjoylife and Namaste products? They are dairy free and good. Namaste has good baking mixes.

Milk-based Ingredients:

Artificial Butter Flavor

Butter, Butter Fat, Butter Oil

Buttermilk

Casein

Caseinates (ammonium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium)

Cheese

Cream

Cottage Cheese

Curds

Custard

Ghee

Half & Half

Hydrolysates (casein, milk protein, protein, whey, whey protein)

Lactalbumin

Lactalbumin Phosphate

Lactoglobulin

Lactose

Lactulose

Milk (derivative, powder, protein, solids, malted, condensed, evaporated, dry, whole, low-fat, milkfat, non-fat, skimmed, and goat's milk)

Nougat

Pudding

Rennet Casein

Sour Cream, Sour Cream Solids

Sour Milk Solids

Whey (in all forms including sweet, delactosed, protein concentrate)

Yogurt

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Thanks Jen!!

This iinformation is really helpful. It seems like more of us are finding dairy and other foods are causing problems for us as well.

I really appriciate the soy list you've posted in the past also. The list made a light bulb go off for me!! I finally found that soy was hidding in one of my dd supplements. :)

jcgirl Apprentice

Jen,

Thank you for the list. Yes my son does have to be casein free. I am learning all the terms via trial and error as I did with my gluten free diet. If only there were courses at the local grocery stores, gluten-free 101, CF 101 it would make life easier :P

I will check out the web sites now. Thanks again.

jcgirl Apprentice

Update:

I went to Wegmans.com allergy section and they have printable lists of gluten-free, lactose free and Lactose/Gluten free Wegman's brand products. I printed them and put into an organized 3 ring binder. On the front I taped the ingrediants to watch out for that contain milk products. I figure this will give me a jump start when shopping. I plan to cross things off the list as I go along that contain dairy and also add other name brand items. If this works out well and I get good at it I will put packets together if anyone is interested. Wish me luck :)

jenvan Collaborator

Good luck !

And here's some encouragement: Cows = Yuck ! :blink:

:D

Archived