33 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

I picked up a bakery loaf when I was last in the city as it looked good for a gluten-free loaf. So, the next day I put it (thawed) into my toaster oven and waited. And waited. And waited some more. My toaster oven has a timer so I timed how long it took. At 12 minutes the outside started to brown. After more waiting, while my hollandaise was congealing, I took a peep. At 16 minutes the top was sort of starting to brown here and there. At a whopping 18 minutes it was still mostly white with tinges of brown here and there. Sick of waiting and allowing my meal to cool, I took it out. So, I re-heated my hollandaise, warmed my egg and ham and voila - finally had sort of toast for Eggs Benedict. The next day I was smarter - I started the toast at the same time as the hollandaise. I bet it would take about 22 minutes for it to brown. Seriously! :lol: If someone had half an hour for lunch at work, it would be cutting it pretty close just for toast!!

Will time Genius and my own just out of curiosity. I KNOW it would be faster than that.

I told my husband this and he doubled over laughing. It is funny in a sick way.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:34 PM

Are you sure that is a toaster oven?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Are you sure that is a toaster oven?

100% sure. :P
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

100% sure. :P

I'd take it back!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#5 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

I'd take it back!

It works well for everything else. Udi's toasted in just a few minutes (didn't time it but not long). It's the bread!

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Well, gluten free does tend to take longer, but what kind of bread was that? It must have had an incredible amount of moisture in it, surely?
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Well, gluten free does tend to take longer, but what kind of bread was that? It must have had an incredible amount of moisture in it, surely?

I know! Isn't it strange? How much moisture can one stuff into one loaf of bread, anyway? <_<

#8 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

I know! Isn't it strange? How much moisture can one stuff into one loaf of bread, anyway? <_<

I don't know. Look how much some butchers can stuff into a pound of hamburger meat :rolleyes:
Neroli

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#9 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

What kind of bread? I get a millet bread with carrot in it. It's yummy. A bit sweet and dense. It takes 2 times thru the gluten-free Red Toaster and it's still not crispy. Then I put a bit of cheddar on It and broil until it melts.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#10 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

Was this an electric toaster, or did you have to gather wood and build a fire under it, first ? :P

#11 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

I make my own gluten free bread now and I've noticed similar - although I haven't timed it!! I stick it in twice and then the crust has gone brown but the rest hasn't. The texture changes enough to feel like toast rather than bread but still pale. Thought it was just my baking!! :)

#12 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:46 AM

I've just toasted bread I made on Monday and it's a beautiful golden brown! I normally just keep enough bread to do 2 days and freeze the rest but I had enough left to do two slives at lunch today. There's the trick - eat fresh first 2 days and keep to the third for perfect toast :D

#13 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:32 AM

What kind of bread? I get a millet bread with carrot in it. It's yummy. A bit sweet and dense. It takes 2 times thru the gluten-free Red Toaster and it's still not crispy. Then I put a bit of cheddar on It and broil until it melts.

This one was white rice and millet. To be honest I do not even know why I bought it as my preference is not for white rice products when I can help it. It does taste good and it looks good but I can make better. :P Most of us could!

Anyway, the dumb toast just wouldn't do anything! Stubborn stuff.

#14 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

Was this an electric toaster, or did you have to gather wood and build a fire under it, first ? :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I should have mentioned the fire in my post??!!

#15 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've just toasted bread I made on Monday and it's a beautiful golden brown! I normally just keep enough bread to do 2 days and freeze the rest but I had enough left to do two slives at lunch today. There's the trick - eat fresh first 2 days and keep to the third for perfect toast :D

Oh, that sounds delicious! And perhaps therein lies the answer. My breads seem to toast far better but they are lighter and made with darker flours such as amaranth, sorghum, etc.

Happy Robbie Burns Day to you! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: