This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Toasting Bread Time Consuming?

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

I picked up a bakery loaf when I was last in the city as it looked good for a gluten-free loaf. So, the next day I put it (thawed) into my toaster oven and waited. And waited. And waited some more. My toaster oven has a timer so I timed how long it took. At 12 minutes the outside started to brown. After more waiting, while my hollandaise was congealing, I took a peep. At 16 minutes the top was sort of starting to brown here and there. At a whopping 18 minutes it was still mostly white with tinges of brown here and there. Sick of waiting and allowing my meal to cool, I took it out. So, I re-heated my hollandaise, warmed my egg and ham and voila - finally had sort of toast for Eggs Benedict. The next day I was smarter - I started the toast at the same time as the hollandaise. I bet it would take about 22 minutes for it to brown. Seriously! :lol: If someone had half an hour for lunch at work, it would be cutting it pretty close just for toast!!

Will time Genius and my own just out of curiosity. I KNOW it would be faster than that.

I told my husband this and he doubled over laughing. It is funny in a sick way.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Are you sure that is a toaster oven?

love2travel Mentor

Are you sure that is a toaster oven?

100% sure. :P

mushroom Proficient

100% sure. :P

I'd take it back!

love2travel Mentor

I'd take it back!

It works well for everything else. Udi's toasted in just a few minutes (didn't time it but not long). It's the bread!

mushroom Proficient

Well, gluten free does tend to take longer, but what kind of bread was that? It must have had an incredible amount of moisture in it, surely?

love2travel Mentor

Well, gluten free does tend to take longer, but what kind of bread was that? It must have had an incredible amount of moisture in it, surely?

I know! Isn't it strange? How much moisture can one stuff into one loaf of bread, anyway? <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I know! Isn't it strange? How much moisture can one stuff into one loaf of bread, anyway? <_<

I don't know. Look how much some butchers can stuff into a pound of hamburger meat :rolleyes:

kareng Grand Master

What kind of bread? I get a millet bread with carrot in it. It's yummy. A bit sweet and dense. It takes 2 times thru the gluten-free Red Toaster and it's still not crispy. Then I put a bit of cheddar on It and broil until it melts.

Takala Enthusiast

Was this an electric toaster, or did you have to gather wood and build a fire under it, first ? :P

navigator Apprentice

I make my own gluten free bread now and I've noticed similar - although I haven't timed it!! I stick it in twice and then the crust has gone brown but the rest hasn't. The texture changes enough to feel like toast rather than bread but still pale. Thought it was just my baking!! :)

navigator Apprentice

I've just toasted bread I made on Monday and it's a beautiful golden brown! I normally just keep enough bread to do 2 days and freeze the rest but I had enough left to do two slives at lunch today. There's the trick - eat fresh first 2 days and keep to the third for perfect toast :D

love2travel Mentor

What kind of bread? I get a millet bread with carrot in it. It's yummy. A bit sweet and dense. It takes 2 times thru the gluten-free Red Toaster and it's still not crispy. Then I put a bit of cheddar on It and broil until it melts.

This one was white rice and millet. To be honest I do not even know why I bought it as my preference is not for white rice products when I can help it. It does taste good and it looks good but I can make better. :P Most of us could!

Anyway, the dumb toast just wouldn't do anything! Stubborn stuff.

love2travel Mentor

Was this an electric toaster, or did you have to gather wood and build a fire under it, first ? :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe I should have mentioned the fire in my post??!!

love2travel Mentor

I've just toasted bread I made on Monday and it's a beautiful golden brown! I normally just keep enough bread to do 2 days and freeze the rest but I had enough left to do two slives at lunch today. There's the trick - eat fresh first 2 days and keep to the third for perfect toast :D

Oh, that sounds delicious! And perhaps therein lies the answer. My breads seem to toast far better but they are lighter and made with darker flours such as amaranth, sorghum, etc.

Happy Robbie Burns Day to you! :D

sa1937 Community Regular

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe I should have mentioned the fire in my post??!!

Ummm...that might have helped! :P

I think bread that has milk in it also toasts better than that which has water for the liquid.

ciamarie Rookie

The bread I've made myself with rice flours, doesn't get brown at all, on the darkest setting in a toaster oven. It's a new toaster oven, to boot! But since it gets a bit crispy and hot, and the butter melts, I say 'good enough!'. I did just buy a loaf of Rudi's cinnamon raisin and nearly burned the 2 slices I toasted, with the setting a little under the darkest. I'll have to go a bit lighter with that next time. I suspect Rudi's has more starches than mine, otherwise I'm not sure why mine doesn't really toast at all.

navigator Apprentice

Oh, that sounds delicious! And perhaps therein lies the answer. My breads seem to toast far better but they are lighter and made with darker flours such as amaranth, sorghum, etc.

Happy Robbie Burns Day to you! :D

Thanks! Unfortunately got a wee virus so not able to celebrate it yesterday. Hopefully at the weekend I'll have a couple of drams of my favourite malt - Highland Park from Orkney- and my first taste of gluten-free haggis. :)

Gemini Experienced

I picked up a bakery loaf when I was last in the city as it looked good for a gluten-free loaf. So, the next day I put it (thawed) into my toaster oven and waited. And waited. And waited some more. My toaster oven has a timer so I timed how long it took. At 12 minutes the outside started to brown. After more waiting, while my hollandaise was congealing, I took a peep. At 16 minutes the top was sort of starting to brown here and there. At a whopping 18 minutes it was still mostly white with tinges of brown here and there. Sick of waiting and allowing my meal to cool, I took it out. So, I re-heated my hollandaise, warmed my egg and ham and voila - finally had sort of toast for Eggs Benedict. The next day I was smarter - I started the toast at the same time as the hollandaise. I bet it would take about 22 minutes for it to brown. Seriously! :lol: If someone had half an hour for lunch at work, it would be cutting it pretty close just for toast!!

Will time Genius and my own just out of curiosity. I KNOW it would be faster than that.

I told my husband this and he doubled over laughing. It is funny in a sick way.

You made Eggs Benedict and didn't invite any of us over? :o

I have found that different breads take different toasting times but never that long! That must be some dense loaf of non-gluten! I have noticed that bakery made breads do take longer and it must be the moisture content. They are always pretty good so worth the wait. Genius doesn't take overly long but longer than some other store bought breads I have had. It's fresher bread, I think. However, my experience with toasting Genius was with an English toaster...a pop up one so it was different than my toaster oven at home.

Do you think gluten eaters have these in-depth discussions about toasters? :P

Gemini Experienced

Thanks! Unfortunately got a wee virus so not able to celebrate it yesterday. Hopefully at the weekend I'll have a couple of drams of my favourite malt - Highland Park from Orkney- and my first taste of gluten-free haggis. :)

I just love the use of the word "wee" and think it ought to be incorporated much more into conversations. ;)

kareng Grand Master

Had to add this toast discussion to the list.

love2travel Mentor

You made Eggs Benedict and didn't invite any of us over? :o

I have found that different breads take different toasting times but never that long! That must be some dense loaf of non-gluten! I have noticed that bakery made breads do take longer and it must be the moisture content. They are always pretty good so worth the wait. Genius doesn't take overly long but longer than some other store bought breads I have had. It's fresher bread, I think. However, my experience with toasting Genius was with an English toaster...a pop up one so it was different than my toaster oven at home.

It IS dense and pretty good. I have had better. Hmmmm...maybe I'd better put it into the toaster oven now in time for lunch in an hour and a half. It's hilarious having to plan when to put bread in the toaster oven so you have it finished on time.

I have a feeling that gluten eaters may not have quite this in-depth discussion about toasters and bread. However, my husband asks me how long my toast took that day. He still gets a kick out of it. I have toast rarely but don't want my Eggs Benedict/hollandaise to turn the bread into mush. So, in it goes - will see if it turns brown in 90 minutes. :lol:

Toaster oven makers, listen up - we need a separate setting for our gluten-free products. Hurry it up a little so we can get to work on time and get dinner on the table! :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Nope ---but they don't talk about poo either.

We have waaaaaay more fun apparently. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Love2 honey,

Our toaster takes forever, too. :rolleyes:

But 22 minutes? :blink:

Maybe that -55 below weather you live in is causing a toaster malfunction??

:lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Had to add this toast discussion to the list.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived