2 replies to this topic

#1 Gonzo_Vision

Gonzo_Vision

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi I've been living in South Korea for 2 years now.
I've also been a celiac my whole life but was diagnosed when I was 18.

I have a warning to anyone who is thinking of travelling/teaching in Korea.

DO NOT TRUST korean products if it says on the label 100% rice pasta then what it really means is 30-50% rice pasta.
Also asians have no idea about celiac's diesease so even if you ask them if their product has wheat flour in it and tell them you have an allergy they will still tell you no it doesn't, when in reality it really does.

This is partially because they don't know about allergies, but mostly because they just want to sell you their product.

Be careful, I have gotten sick twice since being here (At the moment of typing this I am sick from eating "rice flour dumplings")

I grew up in Canada and I knew how difficult it is to live a glueten free lifestyle....but living in Korea is 10 times harder.

I just wanted to let you guys know, even though Koreans diet's consist of mostly rice, if you see a product in a package then it probably has wheat in it.

All the best to you guys I know how hard of a struggle it is to live your life with glueten sensitivity, and it's nice to know that there are people out there who care.

thanks for reading,

Ben

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lawrence

Lawrence

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

I know what you mean. My wife is Korean and we live in NY. We traveled to Korea about 2 years ago and I didn't have much of a problem because we normally had family make things specially for me or we bought things that seemed safe. I'm not particularly sensitive but I think I still got glutened. I was so constipated over there. Sometimes the issue of moving there has come up but I don't want to specifically because of the celiac. Ordering gluten-free food must be expensive and as you said they have no idea about gluten-free food. I hope things change in the future.

Hi I've been living in South Korea for 2 years now.
I've also been a celiac my whole life but was diagnosed when I was 18.

I have a warning to anyone who is thinking of travelling/teaching in Korea.

DO NOT TRUST korean products if it says on the label 100% rice pasta then what it really means is 30-50% rice pasta.
Also asians have no idea about celiac's diesease so even if you ask them if their product has wheat flour in it and tell them you have an allergy they will still tell you no it doesn't, when in reality it really does.

This is partially because they don't know about allergies, but mostly because they just want to sell you their product.

Be careful, I have gotten sick twice since being here (At the moment of typing this I am sick from eating "rice flour dumplings")

I grew up in Canada and I knew how difficult it is to live a glueten free lifestyle....but living in Korea is 10 times harder.

I just wanted to let you guys know, even though Koreans diet's consist of mostly rice, if you see a product in a package then it probably has wheat in it.

All the best to you guys I know how hard of a struggle it is to live your life with glueten sensitivity, and it's nice to know that there are people out there who care.

thanks for reading,

Ben

#3 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

My son is traveling to Korea for his martial arts world championships in July so I am grateful for the information. He is currently 'gluten lite' given he is currently undiagnosed with DH but I have many concerns about him having 10 days of being hit with gluten after being gluten lite for some time. :(
His grandmother (who will travel with him) is in denial of the sensitivity of our DH / gluten problems so it will be a difficult one to navigate. I am hoping and praying that the dermatologist can see him early and with a positive result so that there will be no doubt about the type of diet he requires while traveling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: