#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hi,
I was a Twinings tea drinker until they removed all of their gluten free labeling and info off of their website. Under the allergen info, it doesn't say anything about being free from wheat and barley in their big list of allergens. It did it the past. The reason that I checked is b/c I am coming off a glutening and wanted to make sure.
Which teas are you ok with? Luzianne says gluten free on the box. I was thinking of trying that.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

I LOVE Barry's Irish Tea. Rich, bold and delicious--and they told me via email there is no gluten. I have never had a reaction, so I believe them. :)

I also like Bigelow's Cozy Chamomile tea for night time relaxing.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Stash Earl Grey is fine for me. Listed ingredients are black teas and oil of bergamot. I was just at Safeway and saw their Organic Earl Grey ingredients show black tea and natural flavoring. :huh: I went with the Stash, since I've been fine with it. Otherwise I also drink Red Rose tea. (Note: I'm not sure if I qualify as 'super sensitive' so ymmv...)
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,993 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:22 AM

I am very sensitive and I have had all sorts of problems with tea. I finally switched to homegrown. Even my daughter, who isn't nearly as sensitive, had problems, but that is because she was drinking 10 cups or so a day. Fortunately she likes lavender tea and we already had a lavender plant in the garden. You only need a tiny bit so the few flowers I picked over the summer will more than last her all winter. I like chamomile, Oswego, which is bee balm, and then I have a normal tea plant: Camellia sinensis.

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Even my daughter, who isn't nearly as sensitive, had problems, but that is because she was drinking 10 cups or so a day.

Whoa...that's a lot of tea, no doubt she has some issues with that amount of tea. :huh:

Here is an interesting article on excess tea consuming:

http://www.livestron...blood-pressure/
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

I LOVE Barry's Irish Tea. Rich, bold and delicious--and they told me via email there is no gluten. I have never had a reaction, so I believe them. :)

I also like Bigelow's Cozy Chamomile tea for night time relaxing.

MMMMMMMMM.....Barrys! That tea is rocket fuel and I love it!

I have been drinking unflavored tea and coffee for years and have never come across any tea, except some flavored ones and some European teas which they malt, that would be a problem for any Celiac. I am very sensitive and drink a lot of Earl Grey and never had a problem. But then again, I don't anticipate getting sick from food and drink that shouldn't be a problem.

Growing your own would be great and a money saver but I don't live in Burma so doubt I could grow any here.

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

Another good one is to steep several bay leaves in hot water to make tea. An Italian Grandma of a friend taught me that one. It is tasty and settles the tummy.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

Great topic!

I drank oregano tea when I lived in Armenia.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:11 AM

Great topic!

I drank oregano tea when I lived in Armenia.

You DID!? My paternal grandparents came from Armenia! :)
I don't wish to hijack the thread --so maybe you'll tell me about it via PM sometime, J! I'd love to hear about it! :)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#10 elizabethh

elizabethh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I drink tea ALL the time, stash is said to be safe and I drink it the most and haven't had problems with it to my knowledge. I sure hope twinings is safe! I'm just coming out of a glutening at the moment and started drinking their peppermint herbal tea yesterday, so that would be a disaster if it weren't. So far so good. I emailed the company asking so I will post here when I get a response.
Funny that drinking excess amounts of tea causes high blood pressure, I drink tea constantly and have been for years, and my blood pressure, if anything, is actually a bit on the low end. :o

Ɛℓizɑвєтн
supersensitive celiac, lactose intolerant, casein intolerant, egg white intolerant, allergic to scallops (other shellfish?)
- ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ -

#11 elizabethh

elizabethh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

In case anyone sees this in the future,I finally did get an email back from Twinings and this is what it says

Thank you for contacting us, all of our blends are gluten free.

Thank You,
Consumer Relations

Twinings North America
777 Passaic Avenue
Clifton, NJ 07012
800-803-6695

enjoy the tea! :P

Ɛℓizɑвєтн
supersensitive celiac, lactose intolerant, casein intolerant, egg white intolerant, allergic to scallops (other shellfish?)
- ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ - ◌ -

#12 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

I just wanted to add, stay away from HyTop tea! I thought I'd try it in place of the Red Rose I'd been drinking. Thankfully I opened it before I was out of the RR, and I'm going to get more today. I wasn't necessarily drinking it every day, and since I didn't have an immediate reaction I thought it was ok; but over a period of a couple weeks I was getting itchy and my right knee started to bother me, and I was exhausted. I was wondering if it was my vitamins, or the organic sugar I'd added to the tea or what? Then it finally dawned on me that it might be the tea, and now it's been 3 full days since I've had any and I feel much better.

Thought I'd throw this warning on this thread...

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

I just wanted to add, stay away from HyTop tea! I thought I'd try it in place of the Red Rose I'd been drinking. Thankfully I opened it before I was out of the RR, and I'm going to get more today. I wasn't necessarily drinking it every day, and since I didn't have an immediate reaction I thought it was ok; but over a period of a couple weeks I was getting itchy and my right knee started to bother me, and I was exhausted. I was wondering if it was my vitamins, or the organic sugar I'd added to the tea or what? Then it finally dawned on me that it might be the tea, and now it's been 3 full days since I've had any and I feel much better.

Thought I'd throw this warning on this thread...

Does the Hy Top Tea have gluten in it?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Does the Hy Top Tea have gluten in it?

The ingredient list doesn't show any gluten ingredients, it just shows 'select orange pekoe and cut black teas', unless orange pekoe is something gluten-y? It caused me to react as though it has gluten, however.

#15 Lilychic

Lilychic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Harney and son has wonderful English Breakfast tea. Better than anything I have tried to date--their peppermint tea is the best too. Their website tells you which teas have gluten. Plus the tin they come in is beautiful--an added plus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: