21 replies to this topic

#16 come dance with me

come dance with me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

My daughter has a calming, caffeine free tea before bed, I will check the brand tomorrow.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 alsomaria

alsomaria

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but often it can be the tea bag itself that causes the problem. The tea leaves may be gluten free, but what the tea bag is made of or the way it is made has gluten or is cc.

I was told this by a tea manufacturer when trying to figure out why a certain brand of tea bothered me. Because of this, I steer clear of bagged teas and only use loose leaf now.

Hope this helps! :)

#18 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Unless organic, teas are loaded with pesticides, particularly the ones produced in China. I used to get an occasional migraine after drinking black tea. I switched to organic and and I am doind fine. All these years of eating gluten and not knowing I was intolerant took toll on my liver.

Intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy
Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but often it can be the tea bag itself that causes the problem. The tea leaves may be gluten free, but what the tea bag is made of or the way it is made has gluten or is cc.

I was told this by a tea manufacturer when trying to figure out why a certain brand of tea bothered me. Because of this, I steer clear of bagged teas and only use loose leaf now.

Hope this helps! :)

Tea bags do not have gluten in them and are perfectly safe for Celiacs to use. You were given incorrect information by the manufacturer.....probably not a Celiac.

#20 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

On the topic of tea, how do you clean your teapot?
I've got a standard glass teapot, but cleaning the spout seems pretty impossible to do. What's more, if I did manage to clean it all properly, I'm not sure I could tell because I can't really see inside it!
Guess I'm looking for a chemical reaction or something to clean it.
Did you buy yourselves new teapots?
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#21 GlutenFree-MLDub

GlutenFree-MLDub

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

I drink a lot of tea as well. I buy loose leaf tea and put it in tea bags (that you can buy online or in Asian markets sometimes). I also use a mesh tea ball like thing.

In my investigations into the teas I drink most (I wrote to the companies), David's Tea (from Canada) and The Tao of Tea (I think from Portland) have assured me that their teas are gluten free. David's even has caramel teas that are gluten free. They told me they do independent testing after everything's prepared. I also investigated Tazo teas (they have those bags at my work). Tazo has a few that are NOT gluten free. A web search will point you to info on that. The one I remember being a problem was Ginger Green. I didn't confirm this with the company though.

I think I'll make a pot of tea now!
Celiac disease, undiagnosed for 20 years
Add to that 9 years of denial and doctors telling me to ignore the diagnosis :huh:
Mix in 2 years of debilitating illness from complications of Celiac, leading me back to the gluten-free light
Diagnosed Celiac 4/2004
Moving on officially with GFD and Gluten-free since 5/2012

#22 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

On the topic of tea, how do you clean your teapot?
I've got a standard glass teapot, but cleaning the spout seems pretty impossible to do. What's more, if I did manage to clean it all properly, I'm not sure I could tell because I can't really see inside it!
Guess I'm looking for a chemical reaction or something to clean it.
Did you buy yourselves new teapots?

You can get little brushes that you can clean the spouts with. Sometimes they are with the baby bottles at Walmart sometimes just with the kitchen sponges.

http://www.dollartre...51103/index.pro

Vinegar cleans tea off well.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: