Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

"food Should Taste Good" Products, Beware Oat Fiber?

12 posts in this topic

Hi all- I've been eating these crackers for awhile now, good flavors to choose from.

They're all labeled "Certified Gluten Free" and I've never had a reaction. Until now.

I'm not positive it was their "Cheddar" flavor that I had a reaction to, but I was curious enough to re-read the ingredients (process of elimination you know...).

Anyway, I noticed that they list "Oat Fiber" in the ingredients list.

I went to their website, under FAQ, and they said that "don't worry, the oat fiber does not contain gluten!".

I do react to oats. If you do too, maybe this is something you should be aware of (most of their chips don't contain the oat fiber, fyi).

Ads by Google:

I've never had them but wouldn't be able to eat them because I react to gluten free oats and cross contamination from them very badly. I hope you feel better soon.

I've never had them but wouldn't be able to eat them because I react to gluten free oats and cross contamination from them very badly. I hope you feel better soon.

Same here.

I have eaten a lot of flavors of Food Should Taste good without any problems. I have not eaten the cheddar ones. Having said that, I would probably react to the dairy - do you have any issues with dairy ? Concentrated dairy based flavorings definitely don't sit well with me!

I've been buying Food Should Taste Good Chips for a few years now. The Cheddar and Multigrain flavors are ones I buy frequently and have never had an issue with the oat fiber. I am very careful at reading labels when buying gluten free products, as I am a highly sensitive celiac and will react to the slightest amount of gluten. I am VERY confident that Food Should Taste Good chips are a perfect addition to any celiac's diet. They seem to take great pride in the quality of their chips...they are the best on the market after all :)

Hi all- I've been eating these crackers for awhile now, good flavors to choose from.

They're all labeled "Certified Gluten Free" and I've never had a reaction. Until now.

I'm not positive it was their "Cheddar" flavor that I had a reaction to, but I was curious enough to re-read the ingredients (process of elimination you know...).

Anyway, I noticed that they list "Oat Fiber" in the ingredients list.

I went to their website, under FAQ, and they said that "don't worry, the oat fiber does not contain gluten!".

I do react to oats. If you do too, maybe this is something you should be aware of (most of their chips don't contain the oat fiber, fyi).

I have found that I get have some symptoms flare up if I eat anything with whatever dye they add to foods to make them look more orange --like many cheddar flavor food items.

I have been eating other 'Food Should Taste Good' chips (have not seen Cheddar flavor) and had no symptoms.

I should have mentioned that although I don't eat the ones with oat fiber I have eaten the other varieties with no problems. The chocolate, which I haven't been able to find lately, are great with some cream cheese.

I've eaten the other flavors with no issues.

This particular time, I ate quite a few at a party. Nothing else was "suspect", I was doing the hosting.

No issues with dairy or dyes for me, but I DO react to oats.

I'll stick with the other flavors (although this cheddar flavor was terrific).

BTW, their website has a TON of new flavors I haven't seen, most all do not have the oat fiber issue.

I ate most of a bag of a different flavor a few years ago on New Year's Eve, never again, that made my new rule of NEVER eating something commercially made and new that I have not tried before, if I am planning on or have to be functional the next day.

At the time there was a discussion thread whereby we discovered the company was not disclosing that particular flavor did have the oat fiber, I was so annoyed I won't try any others, even if they might have cleaned up their act on the ingredient labeling. :angry: It does not matter if they claim to be using gluten free oats, the fact is that there was an undisclosed ingredient AND there is a small subset of gluten free oat reactors in the celiac population. I had been very, very careful that day and evening, and had not gone out because we had something planned for the next day, and that was the only new thing, and I'm a careful label reader. This meant either the bag was cross contaminated, or I was developing an oat reaction. From what I have subsequently read, this MIGHT be in turn based on the variety of oat cultivar, but still, Undisclosed ingredients = flunk with me.

I was so torqued, that I could have taken a regular corn tortilla, sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar, and toasted it in the oven broiler and been perfectly safe instead.

I ate most of a bag of a different flavor a few years ago on New Year's Eve, never again, that made my new rule of NEVER eating something commercially made and new that I have not tried before, if I am planning on or have to be functional the next day.

At the time there was a discussion thread whereby we discovered the company was not disclosing that particular flavor did have the oat fiber, I was so annoyed I won't try any others, even if they might have cleaned up their act on the ingredient labeling. :angry: It does not matter if they claim to be using gluten free oats, the fact is that there was an undisclosed ingredient AND there is a small subset of gluten free oat reactors in the celiac population. I had been very, very careful that day and evening, and had not gone out because we had something planned for the next day, and that was the only new thing, and I'm a careful label reader. This meant either the bag was cross contaminated, or I was developing an oat reaction. From what I have subsequently read, this MIGHT be in turn based on the variety of oat cultivar, but still, Undisclosed ingredients = flunk with me.

I was so torqued, that I could have taken a regular corn tortilla, sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar, and toasted it in the oven broiler and been perfectly safe instead.

I've been wondering about this line of product. I've tried the olive & a few of the others -not the ones with oats though. I've been having some serious bloating & other typical glutening issues since I've been eating them. I was hoping it was something else, but now I'm wondering. I'm going to lay off of them & not let my son eat any for a week or two & see how we feel. --My son has been feeling off too. These chips are the only thing new in our diet.

Was it their regular size bag of chips, not the small ones? If I ate that many chips, regardless of what flavor, I wouldn't feel good either.

I'e never known a provider of certified gluten-free foods to leave out an ingredient on a label. I guess it could have happened but I haven't heard of anyone having a reaction to these chips. They are a very reputable company.

I've been buying Food Should Taste Good Chips for a few years now. The Cheddar and Multigrain flavors are ones I buy frequently and have never had an issue with the oat fiber. I am very careful at reading labels when buying gluten free products, as I am a highly sensitive celiac and will react to the slightest amount of gluten. I am VERY confident that Food Should Taste Good chips are a perfect addition to any celiac's diet. They seem to take great pride in the quality of their chips...they are the best on the market after all :)

Wow, that doesn't sound at all like a manufacturer's rep who flagged this post and signed up just to reply. If you are a sensitive celiac, then welcome, but I'm taking this response with a grain of salt (and not oat fiber).