17 replies to this topic

#16 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Allergies are genetic. There is no indication anywhere in reliable medical journals that vaccines have anything to do with allergy development. Antidotally, I am and know many parents who don't vax who have children with allergies.

I am (third, fourth, sixth ing) that you may have picked something up on your trip.

Hope you get something figured out.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Injectables do NOT contain gluten.

richard

#18 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I need to have vaccinations before going on a humanitarian trip to Kenya. I am Celiac -- and so got on here to see if there was any info regarding gluten being IN vaccinations. Does anyone know? I don't have a doctor I feel like actually 'gets' Celiac Disease -- often feel I'm on my own. Look forward to the day I have a doctor that does! Thanks for any info. This is what I'll need:

Yellow fever
Hepatitis A
Typhoid
Hepatitis B (series of 3 injections you get one and then a 2nd one 30 days later and the 3rd at six months.)
Tetanus
Polio
and then malaria meds just before the trip and during.

I recently took a trip to Zambia, Africa. I got typhoid, hepatitis B and polio vaccines...all were gluten free. Als for malaria meds none were gluten free except a brand of mefloquine. That has bad side effects supposedly so I didn't take any malaria medicine. A lot of the people on my trip didn't. Will you be staying in normal housing or will you be sleeping in villages( under grass huts, mud houses, etc.? ) at night if I went out I just covered myself in as much clothing as possible with the heat (115 degrees) and then covered the rest of me in 75% deet. Also, you can get a chemical spray at any sporting goods store called permethrine to spray on your clothes a couple days before you leave. I felt very protected against malaria having taken those precautions. It took a lot of research, weeks of it to find out about the malaria medicines. A few companies said it was gluten free but when I asked a few questions, found out that they actually might use gluten ingredients and blah blah confusing stuff...no way I'm trusting that. Trust me on that there is only one that is 100%gluten free which was the mefloquine. You definitely don't want to get glutened in a foreign country! Good luck on your trip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: