4 replies to this topic

#1 allergyprone

allergyprone

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

I am a freshman in college, I went through disabilities and was put into an apartment(on campus) so I could cook for myself. All of last semester I didn't have a roommate, because the university was in charge of finding me one. This semeseter I still don't have a roommate, but I met a foreign exchange student who really wants to be my roommate. She doesn't have celiacs, but I have told her about it and she still wants to be my roommate. I don't know if disabilities would allow it because of how the accomidations were set up. What I really wanted to know is just some experiences with having celiacs and a nonceliac roommate. Like how you made it work, if it worked. Problems that were incountered. also I've never had a roommate (outside of my sister) before so I don't know how that would work either. Thanks, I told her I would think about it and get back to her sometime next week.
AP

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 taylor!!

taylor!!

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hey there! I have lived with roommates for the past 5 years and have never had any problems with cross contamination or anything like that. I explained the situation to them and just always had a mutual understanding with all of them that we would clearly label what food is ours and clean dishes thoroughly. I had a seperate toaster that i used and we were all good about keeping the stove and oven clean. The only issues I ever had was if they decided to bake. The flour in the air bothered me, so if they were ever baking cookies or anything and I wasn't home they would just shoot me a text and let me know so I didn't walk into a kitchen covered in flour.

Basically it depends on how comfortable you feel living in an environment like that and how willing you both are to make sure your foods are separate and the kitchen is clean. I think if she understands the diet and is willing to work with you, and you think you can live with her, go for it. There are a lot of great benefits to having a roommate, especially in the first few years of college. I still talk to some of my past roommates and don't know how I would have survived college without them.

Hope that helps a little :)
<3 Taylor

Celiac since 1990

GO NOLES!!

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

It didn't work well for me at all. I kept finding crumbs in my butter. :(

#4 allergyprone

allergyprone

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I was going to try it but disability services said no, better luck next year I guess :rolleyes:
AP

#5 aeb

aeb

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Maybe another celiac student will start at your university next semester.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: