Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Kind Gluten Free Granola

12 posts in this topic

I saw kind has put out a gluten free granola. There are several different varieties and they are made with gluten free oats. I have stayed away from oats for years but I really want to try this granola. Do you eat certified gluten free oats with or without problems? I read so much conflicting info about it I have always just satyed away.

Ads by Google:

Here's a CSA article that explains oats. Basically most celiacs can tolerate them but a few react as if they are a gluten grain.

http://www.csaceliacs.info/guide_to_oats.jsp

Personally I can eat them though I'm off grains for the time being.

I am able to eat oats as long at they are certified gluten-free, never had a problem even from the start, I did not even know that I should have waited a bit to heal. A good Granola is Bakery on Main there are different flavors. I love the nutty cranberry granola. There is no oats in there. Eating them right now. Expensive but good. Raleys in Nor Cal carries them. Be careful with the oats. Lots of chances for cc.

I eat only the certified gluten-free oats, and eat them at least 5 days a week for breakfast. Never had any problems. I usually buy "Only Oats" by Avena Foods. They're available in Canada, but I'm not sure about elsewhere. I used to eat the gluten-free Bob's Red Mill oats and never had any problems with them either (just switched brands because the Only Oats are cheaper).

be cautious with Kind granola. unfortunately i reacted to it, I suspect due to oats. Also, Bakery on Main , which says gluten free, states under ingredients that it is manufactured on shared equipment. So be careful with that one too. . I miss granolas so much, but for many of us, oats just don't seem to agree... anyone have a good oat free granola recipe? Currently I am just mixing dried cherries with walnuts and fresh fruit. But I miss the intense crunch of granola!

be cautious with Kind granola. unfortunately i reacted to it, I suspect due to oats. Also, Bakery on Main , which says gluten free, states under ingredients that it is manufactured on shared equipment. So be careful with that one too. . I miss granolas so much, but for many of us, oats just don't seem to agree... anyone have a good oat free granola recipe? Currently I am just mixing dried cherries with walnuts and fresh fruit. But I miss the intense crunch of granola!

Are you sure that it's shared equipment with gluten? Bakery on Main only makes gluten-free products as far as I know, and that's all their website lists. Are you sure it's not "made in a facility that also processes tree nuts and peanuts"?

But I can eat certified oats just fine. Cream Hill Estates, Only Oats, Bob's Red Mill. They're all quite fine.

I have a good gluten free granola recipe I would be happy to share, if anyone wants it. It's not low calorie, but it's tasty and gluten free. I use Bob's Gluten Free Oats, but whatever works for you would work in the recipe. I've thought of subbing in quinoa flakes, but haven't tried that yet. Although I'm sure you could use any granola recipe that you like and use gluten free ingredients and baking pans, and be just fine. I prefer my own because I know what is in it, it tastes great, and when bake a batch the whole house smells like oatmeal cookies.

Also, Udi's granola is pretty good, for packaged cereal.

Peace,

Beth.

Nope I don't eat gluten free oats at all. React horribly. I even react to gluten free oat cross contamination. So KIND bars are out for me because of the oat cc risk. I used to love them and thought I was reacting to sesame, but it turned out to be oat cc. There are other gluten free products I can't eat because of the cc risk also.

Just wanted to share a study that came out last year -- one of the reasons why oats are so confusing is that not all varieties of oat are the same.

The study (published in Gut and also reviewed here on Celiac.com) took a look at an assortment of different strains of oat.

All the oats were clean/non-contaminated, but only some of them tested as gluten-free. The study used two different types of test:

• an ELISA test with the G12 antibody
  • a Western Blot, where T-cells from patients with celiac disease were exposed to the oats

The strains that tested positive with the ELISA also caused the cells from celiac patients to have a reaction -- pretty clear evidence that there is not a yes/no answer when it comes to the safety of oats.

Just wanted to share a study that came out last year -- one of the reasons why oats are so confusing is that not all varieties of oat are the same.

The study (published in Gut and also reviewed here on Celiac.com) took a look at an assortment of different strains of oat.

All the oats were clean/non-contaminated, but only some of them tested as gluten-free. The study used two different types of test:

• an ELISA test with the G12 antibody
  • a Western Blot, where T-cells from patients with celiac disease were exposed to the oats

The strains that tested positive with the ELISA also caused the cells from celiac patients to have a reaction -- pretty clear evidence that there is not a yes/no answer when it comes to the safety of oats.

Yes! This explains a lot. I can only eat Bob's Red Mill, Cream Hill Estates, and Only Oats. There are other certified gluten-free brands we have here which are sickening, and I was wondering why!

Not as good as oats, but have you tried quinoa flakes? They are nutty like oats and have some substance to go with those dried fruits and nuts.

i LOVE the Kind Peanut Granola & I' m fairly sensitive & never had a problem. I believe this company is a safe company.... I think Udi's granola is good... I'm not crazy about bakery on the main products...but again safe....

remember that newly dx'd should not do oats for at least a year.......the intestinal tract needs time to heal. Oats is alot to handle when trying to heal the I Track at the beginning...and then some will never be able to handle oats....

I've been eating oats since they first came out gluten-free ,(so several years ago). To this day I can not eat more than a single serving more than twice a week ...