This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hi! New To The Forum!

health nut

health nut Newbie

Hello, I am a registered dietitian with celiac disease and I have been viewing this forum for a while now, but just officially decided to join in. I was diagnosed via labs and biopsy last summer, but have been a dietitian for about 4 years so I was fortunate that I already had a good understanding of the diet when I was diagnosed- but I know for most people that is not the case. I was inspired by the previous thread from Josh voicing frustration about the misinformation that can be spread on these type of forums, and how there is a great need for people who can share accurate information. I must say that I also read some other facebook pages where anyone can ask/answer questions about celiac disease and gluten-free living, and I have been very impressed with this forum. I've noticed that if somebody does post inaccurate information here- someone else has always been very quick to correct it or question it. This does not happen on the FB pages I've seen and the few times I tried to pipe-in it was not well accepted. So I've decided this is the community I would much rather be a part of. I hope to be able to help others, but I know I will also have questions myself. I have tons of books on nutrition and celiac disease, but sometimes the best information can come from others who are in the same situation.

So I just wanted to introduce myself, and I am excited to finally be able to participate in the great discussions here! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

As a register dietician I think you could be very helpful in this forum, welcome!

rosetapper23 Explorer

I agree--I think you'll make a great addition to our Forum. Welcome!

Lisa Mentor

Welcome health nut! I'm sure we will make good use of your expertise. B):D (Josh will be happy, you came out)

ciamarie Rookie

Welcome! I'm somewhat new'ish here myself, and haven't really looked for other forums. I guess I actually got it right the first time. I think the people here are great. :)

mushroom Proficient

You are so welcome, health nut. We are always looking for voices of reason and information. I look forward to your participation. You will probably have seen some negative reactions around here to those dietitians who are ill informed about celiac, but don't, please, let that put you off. We do not tar with one brush :D Many of us have had ghastly experiences with hospital dietitians whose focus seems to be on the cost of foods rather than their nutrient value. Eating gluten free in a hospital can be a very hazardous experience, especially if you do not have family to bring you food :huh:

So we are really looking forward to a gluten savvy dietitian

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome to the board. There are so many things the newly diagnosed have to get used to doing that many in the medical field are not knowledgabe enough about to let them in on. Being celiac yourself you know the 'hoops' we have to jump through to be safe. We will greatly welcome your input and I am sure your patients are already reaping the benefits of your celiac knowledge.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

health nut Newbie

Thanks everyone!!!

And Mushroom- absolutely no offense taken here about some of the dietitian comments I have seen. I now feel very well educated about celiac disease and the gluten-free diet (my career goal now is to someday be considered an expert in the field), but I could not say this about myself before being diagnosed, and I know pretty much all my dietitian friends would also admit there knowledge is limited. It's not that we don't learn about it in school and our internship, but like the saying goes "if you don't use it- you lose it." It is definitely one of those diets you need to work with a lot to really know it- you can't just dabble in it. Unfortunately, since there aren't many dietitians who specialize in it, people are often sent to see one who really isn't savvy about all the nuances of the diet (but they should at least be able to give you some decent info to get started...). I should also say though- that the increased rate of celiac disease (and gluten intolerance) is recognized in our profession, and I have seen a lot more effort put into comprehensive continuing education courses on this topic for us so we can be a better resource for our patients.

Well, thanks again everyone- I am happy to be here!

Health nut

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Hello...and welcome! When I was referred to a dietician she had very limited info on Celiac. She mainly advised diabetic patients. You will be a great help to those needing a bit of guidance.

sa1937 Community Regular

Welcome, health nut! You'll be a valuable addition to the forum. When I was diagnosed, I declined to meet with a dietitian as I figured I probably knew more than she did. I know, rather pompous perhaps, but I lurked on the forum long enough to know that their advice was not always accurate.

Archived