This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Traveling For A Job Interview

alissar

alissar Contributor

I am going to traveling across the country for a job interview in two weeks. The company is paying to fly my spouse and I out and they plan to "interview and show us around the city" for 3 days. My question is...should I let them know that I have Celiac and am unable to eat gluten prior to leaving? I know that at least one meal/day will be eaten with my potential employers and I will be spending the majority of those 3 days with them. I am not embarassed about having Celiac and it would have no affect on my ability to perform my job, but this is my first major interview and I am nervous about appearing like a diva or high maintenance. Also, I would rather my work skills are discussed as opposed to my inability to eat gluten. Any advice? Anyone else been in the same situation? How did you handle it? Thanks!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I've been interviewing lately and I tell the person I would report to about the diet well in advance. That way there is plenty of time for them to find a suitable place to eat. Most people are happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions. If you get any grief, this may be a red flag about your potential boss. I use Google Maps and find a chain where I know I can eat in case I am asked to suggest somewhere. Last time I found a P.F. Chang's near the company.

During the interview, discussion of health issues that do not affect your ability to perform specific job duties is illegal under the ADA. If a job offer is made, then you and your employer can talk about accommodations (which in our case are usually not required). Most employers are aware of this and the subject shouldn't come up in the first place, other than to make sure you can get appropriate food when you first arrive at the restaurant. You can make sure your work skills are discussed rather than gluten by responding very briefly and politely to any talk about celiac and redirecting the conversation with a direct question about the job or company.

Melissa Palomo Apprentice

I would have no problem requesting somewhere with a gluten free menu - I've found most people are really quite accommodating and understanding if they're not jerks to begin with. ;) (And if they ARE jerks and huff and puff about the request - would you want to work for them anyway?)

psawyer Proficient

And if they ARE jerks and huff and puff about the request - would you want to work for them anyway?

:unsure::o

Eep - did I say something offensive? LOL. Sorry... didn't realize that my calling a potential employer a potential jerk would raise eyebrows. I can play nice. :)

psawyer Proficient

Eep - did I say something offensive? LOL. Sorry... didn't realize that my calling a potential employer a potential jerk would raise eyebrows. I can play nice. :)

Good God, no, Melissa. Any offense was directed at the potential employer who made that an issue, not you. :)

Ok - whew! haha! I have to admit I come from many women based message boards where people are quite catty - so I was worried for a minute. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived