#1 India

India

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with muscle spasms - mostly in my chest, but also my right leg and right thumb and occasionally other places. It only happens when I'm resting or trying to sleep. Sounds just like my husband's restless legs syndrome, but more widespread.

I've been taking effervescent vitamin C tablets for about three weeks which contain maltodextrin. I'm in the UK so our maltodextrin may be different in nature. However, I know some people have a problem with it though, despite Coeliac UK saying it's safe. I've never had this problems before - could this be causing it?

However, I've also been under an awful lot of stress and my body has often had a horrible habit of conjuring up a new health problem in response (including coeliac disease). Could this instead be a stress reaction? I'm already having difficulty sleeping and I've been awake and anxious all night. Between my husband's legs and now this, I jerk wide awake every time I'm almost asleep.

Feels like I've reached a new low... Any help much appreciated.

Thank you.

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

Magnesium and potassium are wonderful to help the muscles.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

I agree with what AVR1962 said. Try a magnesium supplement. I don't know if what you're experiencing has any connection to the vitamin C you've been taking, but depending on the ingredients, it may. Some minerals "compete" for absorption. Or, you may simply be deficient in magnesium due to low intake, or malabsorption from some other issue.

If the increased stress you've been feeling has lead to an increase in caffeine consumption, that may be a factor. Since caffeine is a diuretic, it tends to draw minerals out of the body. Not sure what else it might do in terms of neurological effects.

Difficult to know if the maltodextrin itself is involved, but I suppose it could regardless of its source.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 Kamma

Kamma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:49 AM

"There is evidence that RLS may be associated with abnormalities of iron metabolism in the central nervous system. In many cases, RLS is related to low serum ferritin levels, which may or may not be associated with low serum iron levels. (Ferritin is a protein in the body that binds to iron, and most of the iron stored in the body is bound to ferritin. The amount of ferritin in the blood shows how much iron is stored in your body.) In such cases, if taking iron supplementation normalizes the serum ferritin levels, then the RLS symptoms may improve or disappear. However, ferritin levels may remain low despite normal iron levels. If the symptoms persist despite normal ferritin levels, then RLS medication may be needed, though possibly at a reduced dosage."

-Neurology Now Journal
http://journals.lww....yndrome.21.aspx

#5 India

India

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Thank you for your replies. You're all so helpful.

The thought of having RLS makes me despair as I already have a muscular condition which only improves if I can relax and this wretched twitching now appears whenever I try.

I have stopped taking the vitamin c supplements. I've tried magnesium supplements in the past but I'll try them again and potassium. I'll also ask my doctor to test my iron levels. It's not caffeine as I finally kicked my soda habit as my new year resolution.

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Definitely get your vitamin and mineral levels checked so you can treat the cause. But for relief from the SYMPTOMS, try putting and unwrapped bar of soap in bed with you, near your (and your husband's) legs, and anywhere else these muscle spasms occur. I know it sounds crazy, but I swear to you, it works. It can't hurt to try it, and it WILL help. I promise.

Another thing that helps with cramps and muscle spasms is a teaspoon of gluten free mustard, or dill pickle juice. Take it as soon as they start and withing a minute or two they will stop for the rest of the night.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Many people find Epsom salt baths very helpful too. Since that's a form of magnesium, I don't doubt its effective to some degree.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: