8 replies to this topic

#1 MomGoneRunning

MomGoneRunning

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

I just spoke with my PCP about the results of my ultrasound. She said that there is a 4cm cyst on my right ovary and another smaller one on my left. My question is has anyone ever had ovarian cysts or heard of them being related to Celiacs? My GI problems are still continuing, and getting worse. Or are they not related and I am just insane? Thank you in advance for any responses!
2012- currently awaiting a confirmed diagnosis of Celiac Sprue.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 birdie22

birdie22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Can't comment on whether ovarian cysts are related to Celiac, but I have had one before. It was suspected to have been caused by the mirena IUD. It was deemed a "simple" cyst and went away on it's own about a month after having the IUD removed. My cyst caused lower back aches, pelvic cramps, and general abdominal discomfort. This all resolved once the cyst was gone. Of course my other GI and other symptoms continue.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#3 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have a history of "functional" cysts -- the ones that are related to your cycle and come and go. I've had them since long before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease so have no idea if they are related. My doctors just watch them since I don't usually have any problems or symptoms, and if I have pain issues they check via ultrasound to see what is up -- they probably wouldn't do that except that I had a cyst that no one knew about and it caused torsion of one of my ovaries (OMG! that was like being hit with a sledgehammer, it literally caused me to collapse in a fetal position on the floor!) which led to emergency surgery to remove it (the cyst not the ovary.) But that is not common...and if the doctors know they are there and keep track of how they are growing (if they are growing at all) the cysts are not usually something to fret about. What does your doctor want to do about it?

#4 SilverClaerity

SilverClaerity

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

I've been wondering this myself!

I'm not diagnosed, but pretty sure I have a problem with gluten. About a month ago, I went for a CT scan and was told that I have a 2.7cm cyst on my left ovary. My ultrasound to check up on it isn't for another month.

I have no idea if this is related to the GI issues I've been experiencing.. but it's definitely food for thought.

#5 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

Add me to the list of those with Ovarian cysts. As it was explained to me...in a woman's cycle a little cyst forms on the ovary and bursts when the hormones tell it that it's time to. That sends the egg down the tube to the uterus. Sometimes that cyst doesn't burst when it's supposed to, and continues to grow.
Sometimes they cause symptoms..and sometimes they don't.
I found I got achy pelvic pain on whichever side it was on, and sometimes migraines. When they finally did burst I'd feel a sharp cramping pain.

I had this going happen off and on for years. It was before I was DXed with Celiac. I don't know if there's a link, but I know a lot of Celiac women have fertility issues, so maybe this is what is happening with them?

#6 MomGoneRunning

MomGoneRunning

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thank you for the responses ladies. Each day I get more and more frustrated. I feel crazy somedays. My brain fog is getting so bad, I have a hard time getting through the day. I have to keep telling myself that I am much more fortunate than others who have had to suffer like this for years, and sometimes decades. I almost feel selfish for getting so frustrated just because I want to know what is wrong with me.
2012- currently awaiting a confirmed diagnosis of Celiac Sprue.

#7 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

I completely understand your frustration! You know yourself better than anyone..and when something isn't right you feel it and want answers. I hope you get things worked out so you feel better.
(((hugs)))

#8 GlutenFreeNewB

GlutenFreeNewB

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

I have a problem with cysts. I've had them in my face, breasts, and even had a giant liver cyst that had to be surgically removed (it was fused to my gallbladder, so that had to go too). Dr. said he had no idea why I had so many cysts or how one got to be the size of a soccer ball. Maybe it's related to celiac, I wasn't diagnosed at the time. So many things are related to celiac that I wouldn't be at all surprised :o

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

I did not know I had had an ovarian cyst until one time I got my annual intrvaginal ultlrasound which stated "The ovarian cyst present on examination last yearis no longer present." :blink:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009