26 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

And one final thing as to the super sensitive issue not being proven: Tell that to my graduate advisor, who's son died in his early twenties from celiac shock. It's really insulting.

Ummmm....just because a person nearly dies from Celiac, does not mean they are super sensitive to gluten. There are plenty of people on this board who nearly died from it, including myself, and they don't go through life labeling themselves as a super sensitive. Everyone with Celiac, all the way down to the gluten sensitive, need to avoid gluten, period. But they don't need to be paranoid about it either. There is a balance with this disease and most people, who learn how this disease process works, do very well with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

My take on makeup and personal care products is very simple...if you feel it is causing you problems, by all means replace it. Just one less thing to worry about. I feel it's very difficult to understand the ingredients in those products.

Personally I did not replace my makeup products except to throw out a lot of lipsticks and I'm doing just fine using what I've used for years. I did replace my hand cream as that could easily be ingested.

I did, however, replace a lot of kitchen equipment as some of mine were very old and I felt I couldn't get them clean.

Another good post from Sylvia, the voice of reason! ;)

#18 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

I don't think I'm the one here with an attitude problem.

#19 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Also, with Boots, PF, Smashbox, PF, Red Apple, urban decay, elf, neutrogena- I really don't feel limited. Not to mention the gluten free products within brands like covergirl (who has gotten much better about ingredients communication) and olay. I mean, I am limited in the sense that I have acne prone skin even at 27, so I use sensitive skin formulas, but that's a whole different issue. Point being, these are brands I used before I went gluten free and loved then. Bonus that they are gluten free now! W00t! You're acting like it's a terrible trial to find these things, and maybe it is if you're a huge makeup snob. I have not and will never pay forty dollars for a bottle of foundation no matter how good it supposedly is. I also don't insist on no possibility of cross contamination, although I know people who do, and I respect that decision. Especially not knowing what led them to it in the first place. There are some pretty rare (and expensive) brands that can accommodate that choice. As long as there are no listed gluten ingredients on the back and it doesn't induce a reaction in me, I'm good.

#20 Melissa Palomo

Melissa Palomo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Well I am most definitely a makeup snob, admittedly. ;) I would absolutely switch brands if necessary but I think it's something that each person should evaluate - for themselves - and not immediately jump to freak out. That's all. I'm glad you've found something that works for you - and others might find something different that works for them. Glad we can all offer our individual perspectives and realize that it's possible for different strokes to work for different folks.

I'm Melissa. I am 28, diagnosed in August 2008. I'm a photographer and a blogger, too. :)

#21 saintmaybe

saintmaybe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

Ummmm....just because a person nearly dies from Celiac, does not mean they are super sensitive to gluten. There are plenty of people on this board who nearly died from it, including myself, and they don't go through life labeling themselves as a super sensitive. Everyone with Celiac, all the way down to the gluten sensitive, need to avoid gluten, period. But they don't need to be paranoid about it either. There is a balance with this disease and most people, who learn how this disease process works, do very well with it.

He didn't nearly die. He expired. He is deceased. He is no more. And yes, celiac or gluten shock is a syndrome brought about when someone on a strict gluten free diet is inadvertently exposed to gluten, goes into tachycardia, and in rare cases dies. Feel free to look it up. I would say that's pretty damn sensitive.

#22 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

This is a reminder to adhere to Board Rule #1:

Do not be abusive or otherwise out of line towards other board members. Show respect for each board member, no matter what you think of their views.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#23 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Regardless of what other might say I have gotten incredibly I'll from makeup with gluten in it, even mascara. Some people are more sensitive than others but it is virtually impossible to keep from inhaling and ingesting makeup. She you wash your face where does all the makeup run? Right down past your mouth. And how often do you touch your face and hair? Probably all day long like everybody. You ingest much more than you think when it comes ro beauty products. My reaction is very noticeable and yes anxiety is one of the worst symptoms. Change your makeup and hairsprays, etc and you should see a difference quickly since it is usually a small amount of contamination
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#24 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

And to add to my comment some of these comments are unbelievable! Just because somebody is more sensitive or than you does not make them wrong. We are all here for the same reasons and should be more supportive of each other. After being completely gluten free for months I took the advice of a doctor and switches back to my favorite gluten containing products. He was WRONG. And. I I don't eat my eyeliner either. Why would you bee try ro make someone feel bad for their level of sensitivity? We all have different individual cases, that's the nature of this beast. You know your body best, you will figure out what does and doesn't work for you.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#25 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

I got a good lesson in how many times I touch my eyes or nose this summer when I was helping my hubby chop up jalapenos. I even washed my hands afterwards..but boy did my eye sting when I rubbed it a bit later! :blink:
Made me realize that everything I touch MUST be gluten free.

#26 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

I was a little shocked at this thread too. I really agree with livelifelarge24 that some of the comments are really out of hand. I don't understand why a person with celiac disease would be advocating the use gluten-containing makeup when it's not particularly hard to find nice makeup that is gluten-free. Nobody likes flour in their kitchens but you'll powder your face and line your eyes with it? Huh? :blink:

#27 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I wouldn't have guessed that makeup would be such a volatile subject. We seemed to have covered the bases here and before this topic goes downhill any further, it is being locked.

To the original poster, Ally7, reguarding this thread:
Take the information/suggestions that will help you, leave the rest behind.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: