#1 gymnastjlf

gymnastjlf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:53 PM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has come up with anything that's similar to oatmeal. I know there's cream of rice or cream of buckwheat, both of which I've heard are similar in consistency to cream of wheat. I have tried cream of wheat once (before gluten-free) and wasn't that impressed, much more watery and bland than oatmeal (I didn't put anything on my oatmeal, usually just some sliced banana or some raisins).

Especially with the weather starting to cool down, I need to find an alternative to my warm bowl of oatmeal to get me started in the morning! Thanks guys:-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

Corn meal can make a good hot breakfast. It's kind of like cream of wheat in size, but not runny. Well it can be runny, I just don't make it that way. Sort of like eating hot corn bread thats all mushed up. I like it, especially with a little butter and honey. There is also grits, which I love ( not all grits are gluten-free!) with a little shredded cheese, but also good with a little brown sugar and cinamon, goes either way.
I think Cream of Rice is gross.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has come up with anything that's similar to oatmeal.  I know there's cream of rice or cream of buckwheat, both of which I've heard are similar in consistency to cream of wheat.  I have tried cream of wheat once (before gluten-free) and wasn't that impressed, much more watery and bland than oatmeal (I didn't put anything on my oatmeal, usually just some sliced banana or some raisins). 

Especially with the weather starting to cool down, I need to find an alternative to my warm bowl of oatmeal to get me started in the morning!  Thanks guys:-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are a bunch of substitutes:
* quinoa flakes
* millet grits
* rice grits
* buckwheat
* Bob's Red Mill's Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal
* a combination of these (I particularly like combining equal parts rice, millet, and buckwheat grits and flax meal, then make it with vanilla almond milk)

Whenever the cereal is too watery, either use a milk or milk sub, or use less water, or cook for longer (stirring often).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:48 AM

I think Quinoa Flakes is my favorite. It doesn't taste that much like oats but it is similar in texture, sort of, or at least the closest I've found. I eat it for breakfast a lot - one plus (over rice cereal) is that it doesn't bubble over in the bowl in the microwave and takes just 90 secs to 2 mins to make (rice seems to take 3 or so and I have to watch it like a hawk to prevent bubble over).

Brown rice is my favorite if I'm cooking on the stove.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: