3 replies to this topic

#1 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have been reading if your endomysial antibody test was postive then you almost 100% have celiacs. I guess I am confused why they even biopsy then! When my 11 yr old was biopsied, they also found eosinophilic esophagus which is caused by a food allergy. We had no clue. When tested, she was postive for all beans, all peas, apples, rice, oats, tree nuts, mustard, and pork. (These show no outward reaction!) So in addition to gluten, we have cut all of those out, too! Her biopsy showed "inflamation and ulcers" in the same place as the "simplification of the villi". My question is ....."I have read here that other allergies can cause high TTG level (she was 7)but can food allergies cause positive andomysial antibodies, too. We have a 2nd opinion next week since the doctor told me it was not typical and "in my opinion she has celiacs". Ok, so we will get another one just to make sure. But I have gone gluten free for the past month for her. Not risking it. Anyone know anything about other allergies, too?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Metoo

Metoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have been reading if your endomysial antibody test was postive then you almost 100% have celiacs. I guess I am confused why they even biopsy then! When my 11 yr old was biopsied, they also found eosinophilic esophagus which is caused by a food allergy. We had no clue. When tested, she was postive for all beans, all peas, apples, rice, oats, tree nuts, mustard, and pork. (These show no outward reaction!) So in addition to gluten, we have cut all of those out, too! Her biopsy showed "inflamation and ulcers" in the same place as the "simplification of the villi". My question is ....."I have read here that other allergies can cause high TTG level (she was 7)but can food allergies cause positive andomysial antibodies, too. We have a 2nd opinion next week since the doctor told me it was not typical and "in my opinion she has celiacs". Ok, so we will get another one just to make sure. But I have gone gluten free for the past month for her. Not risking it. Anyone know anything about other allergies, too?

The endomysial antibodies are specific ONLY to celiac. She has celiac. They confirm by biopsy because it is at this point the only 'official' way to diagnos it, as well as to survery damage so they have a comparison for later.

There is a link between EE and celiac, it was recently in the news. I brief google search brought up this: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19841598

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

What Meetoo said!

Also, there are a growing number of doctors calling to relax the endoscopy requirement for people who have positive EMA or DGP tests and respond to the diet because the tests are so specific for celiac. A biopsy is useful because it lets your doctor see what's going on and establish a baseline. Plus as you saw, sometimes they catch other issues.

I have never read of allergies causing TTG at a legitimate medical site. It doesn't make scientific sense either, since TTG is autoimmune. TTG can appear alone (without EMA or gluten-related antibodies) in other autoimmune diseases and in inflammatory bowel disease.

Celiac is permanent and she will never be able to eat gluten, but once your daughter is feeling better she may be able to tolerate foods that she is allergic to now.

#4 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

We have a laundry list of food allergies and Celiac. I have never been told/read/heard that allergies can elevate TTG's. I asked Dr. Fasano this question in person and he said no as well.

The connection with EoE and Celiac is interesting. I will keep that in mind if we ever decide to scope again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: