2 replies to this topic

#1 BarryC

BarryC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:34 AM

I was diagnosed with adult A.D.H.D. a few years ago-had it since childhood. Anyone else? I think it is a symptom. My mind is a bit more relaxed in the past couple gluten free weeks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Yup. I have ADD when I'm eating gluten, as does my daughter. My son has ADHD and extreme dyslexia when on gluten. We're all much more able to think clearly without it. The GAPS diet has also helped. You might be interested in reading the book - it's all about the gut brain connection.
Studies are now starting to show links between celiac and ADHD, schizophrenia and other mental conditions. There are probably a lot more people with gluten sensitivity but not celiac (like myself), who benefit mentally from being gluten-free.
A bit of googling and pubmed searches will turn up some interesting stuff! Here's a start:
http://www.healthnow...celiac-disease/
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#3 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yes. Definitely gluten related for my son. He was ADD with no hyperactivity. Gluten fog. Neurological effects of gluten. Age 7 to 15 he was in a gluten fog. Now at 17 he is bright, happy, funny, outgoing, mentally clear. It can definitely be gluten-related. If only Dr.'s knew. I had depression, anxiety and obsessive thinking. All of it is gone off of gluten. Mentally clear, happy, alert, unbelievable. Very grateful to know. You are only two weeks in. Hey, it just keeps getting better. :) You will see.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: