Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can A Person Have Malabsorption/weight Loss Without Diarrhea?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 breakaway

breakaway

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

It seems that most people with Celiacs have diarrhea. I was wondering because I don't really have diarrhea...and yet I mysteriously lost 20 lbs and I used to get lots of weird symptoms that seemed related to food. If anything, I actually get constipated about once a week.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

It seems that most people with Celiacs have diarrhea. I was wondering because I don't really have diarrhea...and yet I mysteriously lost 20 lbs and I used to get lots of weird symptoms that seemed related to food. If anything, I actually get constipated about once a week.

Thanks

While diarrhea predominates the symptoms, constipation runs a close second. And some people alternate between the two. It is not necessary to have diarrhea to suffer from malabsorption; in fact, many people have silent celiac where they suffer no self-reported symptoms. So do not be surprised that you can lose weight without having diarrhea. Do be aware though that with food malabsorption and weight loss you will not be getting the essential nutrients you need.

I see that your endoscopy was negative. Did you have positive celiac blood testing? Or are you left in no-man's land with negative everything? From your previous topic you asked a question - I am not sure if this is the answer, but you can have a pill-cam test where you actually swallow a mini-cam and it takes pictures throughtout your digestive tract, and then is recovered at the end. But a doctor may not be willing to order that if your other testing has been negative.

Some of us will never pass the tests, yet are non-celiac gluten intolerant with many of the same symptoms and complaints as celiacs. We also need a gluten free diet. We just don't have doctors telling us (well most of us don't) that that is what we should do. We have to take the initiative ourselves.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thanks

Some celiacs (including me) had constipation, rather than diarrhea, as their chronic symptom. I also had cramping pain and bloating. 4 years after I was dx'd with celiac, I was dx'd w/ Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, which commonly occurs among people w/ gluten intolerance. Because my doctor rigidly used the classic profile for celiac (diarrhea, short, thin and fatigued), she dismissed my last 3 symptoms, because I didn't have diarrhea. Hashimoto's often causes constipation and weight gain, because it slows metabolism. So the same doc dismissed my other Hashimoto's symptoms, because I didn't have a weight problem (I was underweight because of celiac disease). Symptoms of one disease masked the other disease. SIGH So I learned that you don't need ALL the classic symptoms to have a disease like celiac disease or Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I wonder how long doctors will continue to hold rigid views of (and profiles for) various autoimmune diseases.

So you could have celiac disease even w/o diarrhea or other 'classic' symptoms.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#4 adab8ca

adab8ca

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

I had neither diarrhea NOR constipation but had maladsoprtion AND weight loss (30 pounds in 5 months)...That was a big part of diagnosis, because I didn't have THOSE symptoms.
TTG >200 (normal <10)
IgA gliadin 24 (normal <11)
IgG gliadin 38 (normal <11)
Endoscopy showed damage that looked like "classic celiac", biopsy showed total villous atrophy
Started gluten-free diet Aug 31, 2010
Only real symptoms are huge weight loss and neuropathy

#5 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

I was the same way - I was losing weight so fast (and I DON'T have the weight to lose). All my tests came back "normal" or negative. But once I cut out gluten (and most carbs), started eating better, and religiously taking my supplements, the weight started to come back. I never really had a lot of digestive trouble - mostly just bloating and gas. But I had classic neurological symptoms - I can tell almost instantly if I've been glutened because the headache I get from it is unlike any other that I've had. A couple days later, I will be angry and anxious.

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Yes a person can have a nutritional defiency without having "D".
Michigan

#7 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I didn't have diarrhea but lost 70 pounds over a 9 month period. Constipation was more common for me.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#8 health nut

health nut

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I had lost weight years ago (probably when I first developed celiac, although I just got diagnosed last summer) but was then stuck at a very thin weight and couldn't gain a pound to save my life. I was starving all the time and ate like 4000+ calories a day, but did not have any bowel issues. When I finally had an endoscopy it showed complete villous atrophy so I was clearly malabsorbing, but no diarrhea. The portion of the GI tract that is not damaged does have an amazing way of compensating (to an extent) for the damaged portion by taking on more absorbtion capabilities- which is also why many people diagnosed with celiac can also be overweight, when you would assume they would all be underweight.

#9 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:40 PM

I had neither C or D but loosing 20+ lbs in less than a month is what finally got my doctors worried and got them to move away from the "it's all in her head" diagnosis!

#10 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

I lost weight without D as well. And like the above posters no one would consider celiac because of it even though my mother was diagnosed :angry:
And now I don't lost weight anymore - I put it on instead - doh! :lol:
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: