16 replies to this topic

#1 BrittLoves2Run

BrittLoves2Run

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm not having very much luck with Gluten free soups. I tried the "Imagine" soup in the resealable bottles. Most of them are terrible. The only one I liked was the butternut squash.

Anyone know of some soups that actually have some flavor to them??
--Brittany
Dxed with IBS in 2010

Celiac Panel/Thyroid blood test done on 1/19/2012
1/23- Positive Celiac blood tests/ TSH Levels 4.5 (range 0.4-5.5)
1/24- Gluten free
3/14--Since being gluten free i've had NO nausea, joint pain, and finally I am not tired all the time!! I am starting to feel like a normal person again!!!
5/30- Just a little over 4 months of being gluten free. While the joint pain and nausea are gone, I'm very sluggish and tired again. I also for the first time in my life have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. Quite annoying. But I'm still very grateful most of my issues are gone!

6th half marathon completed on 5/6/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MrsVJW

MrsVJW

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

I love both the Garden Tomato and Creamy Tomato Imagine soups. It's at least what I remember Campell's being like.

I'm currently eating some Gluten Free Cafe chicken noodle soup (woke up with the start of a cold this morning) and it's not bad (mind you, I always add my own pepper and sometimes hot sauce to most soups). I do not know how they kept the rice noodles from turning to mush, but they somehow did.

Soup is also one of the easiest things to make, and to make gluten-free. Make sure any broth or boullion is gluten-free (I love Kitchen Basics broths).

Thai noodle soup bowls are another good option (check the ingredients!) if you have access to near-boiling hot water to steep the noodles in. I always have a couple of those stashed around at work for "emergency" lunches. That and some canned tuna are very good in a pinch.

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

If you are in the US, Progresso makes a few that say gluten-free on them.

http://progressosoup.com/soup.aspx

Southwestern Style Chicken Chowder

Chicken Rice with Vegetables

Chicken Cheese Enchilada Flavor

Manhattan Clam Chowder

New England Clam Chowder

Potato Broccoli & Cheese Chowder

99% Fat Free New England Clam Chowder

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

I like Amy's Organic soups, and some of them are gluten-free. They were about the only ones I could find when I was just avoiding wheat and corn that had at least 2 or 3 flavors that met those requirements. I just looked at a can of Tuscan bean & rice soup and it does indeed say gluten-free, also.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I love the Progresso soups Kareng mentioned. It was my favorite brand before I went gluten-free.

#6 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

I make my own always have, I can control the sodium that way. If you have the time you can whip up a pot or two on the weekend and freeze individual servings. Just had minestrone for lunch today. I've always used the tiny shells for pasta when I needed pasta. Try the corn pasta (if you can have corn)they hold up better then rice.

#7 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Brittany, while there are some soups that are okay, the absolute best ones are those you make yourself. Do you have a crockpot? If so, you could cut up ingredients the night before, stick them in the fridge and then put them in a crockpot in the morning and when you get home, you'll have a delicious gluten-free soup ready for you. And depending on what you put in it, many freeze extremely well. There's nothing like a stash in the freezer for those days you absolutely don't feel like cooking.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#8 TLK879

TLK879

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Brittany, while there are some soups that are okay, the absolute best ones are those you make yourself. Do you have a crockpot? If so, you could cut up ingredients the night before, stick them in the fridge and then put them in a crockpot in the morning and when you get home, you'll have a delicious gluten-free soup ready for you. And depending on what you put in it, many freeze extremely well. There's nothing like a stash in the freezer for those days you absolutely don't feel like cooking.

I am also interested in making some homemade gluten-free, df, corn free, soy free soups. Do you have any recommendations or recipes of soups that you have made? I don't currently own a crock pot, so I've never made any soups in a crock pot, but I am going to buy one. Any homemade recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :D

#9 BrittLoves2Run

BrittLoves2Run

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone! I will have to check out the progresso ones!! and Make my own!
--Brittany
Dxed with IBS in 2010

Celiac Panel/Thyroid blood test done on 1/19/2012
1/23- Positive Celiac blood tests/ TSH Levels 4.5 (range 0.4-5.5)
1/24- Gluten free
3/14--Since being gluten free i've had NO nausea, joint pain, and finally I am not tired all the time!! I am starting to feel like a normal person again!!!
5/30- Just a little over 4 months of being gluten free. While the joint pain and nausea are gone, I'm very sluggish and tired again. I also for the first time in my life have to get up to pee in the middle of the night. Quite annoying. But I'm still very grateful most of my issues are gone!

6th half marathon completed on 5/6/2012

#10 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

We make our own as well. Stock is always on hand and that makes it REALLY easy to whip up a variety of soups at the drop of a hat.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#11 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

I have been eating Campbell's Chunky Soup Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Its one of the few that are gluten free in that line. They also have Ham and Split Pea.
CANADIAN!

#12 Emily30

Emily30

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

progressos are good. I am going to have to check out the Campbells Chunky soup someone mentioned-that sounds good!

#13 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:28 AM

Be aware that Campbell's in Canada has gluten free versions of some soups. In the US they don't. Read the labels!

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

I love making chicken soup, although I am in search of a good soup noodle. When I wasn't feeling well a few weeks ago I dragged my husband to the store to hunt decent soup with me. I picked up a couple of cans of Wolfgang Puck soup, and while I don't remember which ones they were I can say they were delicious. If I remember correctly all of the soups are gluten free and organic. If you do make your own chicken soup I highly recommend using tarragon, it gives an amazing flavor that just can't be beat.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

I love making chicken soup, although I am in search of a good soup noodle. When I wasn't feeling well a few weeks ago I dragged my husband to the store to hunt decent soup with me. I picked up a couple of cans of Wolfgang Puck soup, and while I don't remember which ones they were I can say they were delicious. If I remember correctly all of the soups are gluten free and organic. If you do make your own chicken soup I highly recommend using tarragon, it gives an amazing flavor that just can't be beat.

I like the Schar's Tagliatelle (sp?) noodles for noodle soup. They are thin and slurpy.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: