Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Soup?

17 posts in this topic

I'm not having very much luck with Gluten free soups. I tried the "Imagine" soup in the resealable bottles. Most of them are terrible. The only one I liked was the butternut squash.

Anyone know of some soups that actually have some flavor to them??

Ads by Google:

I love both the Garden Tomato and Creamy Tomato Imagine soups. It's at least what I remember Campell's being like.

I'm currently eating some Gluten Free Cafe chicken noodle soup (woke up with the start of a cold this morning) and it's not bad (mind you, I always add my own pepper and sometimes hot sauce to most soups). I do not know how they kept the rice noodles from turning to mush, but they somehow did.

Soup is also one of the easiest things to make, and to make gluten-free. Make sure any broth or boullion is gluten-free (I love Kitchen Basics broths).

Thai noodle soup bowls are another good option (check the ingredients!) if you have access to near-boiling hot water to steep the noodles in. I always have a couple of those stashed around at work for "emergency" lunches. That and some canned tuna are very good in a pinch.

If you are in the US, Progresso makes a few that say gluten-free on them.

http://progressosoup.com/soup.aspx

Southwestern Style Chicken Chowder

Chicken Rice with Vegetables

Chicken Cheese Enchilada Flavor

Manhattan Clam Chowder

New England Clam Chowder

Potato Broccoli & Cheese Chowder

99% Fat Free New England Clam Chowder

I like Amy's Organic soups, and some of them are gluten-free. They were about the only ones I could find when I was just avoiding wheat and corn that had at least 2 or 3 flavors that met those requirements. I just looked at a can of Tuscan bean & rice soup and it does indeed say gluten-free, also.

I love the Progresso soups Kareng mentioned. It was my favorite brand before I went gluten-free.

I make my own always have, I can control the sodium that way. If you have the time you can whip up a pot or two on the weekend and freeze individual servings. Just had minestrone for lunch today. I've always used the tiny shells for pasta when I needed pasta. Try the corn pasta (if you can have corn)they hold up better then rice.

Brittany, while there are some soups that are okay, the absolute best ones are those you make yourself. Do you have a crockpot? If so, you could cut up ingredients the night before, stick them in the fridge and then put them in a crockpot in the morning and when you get home, you'll have a delicious gluten-free soup ready for you. And depending on what you put in it, many freeze extremely well. There's nothing like a stash in the freezer for those days you absolutely don't feel like cooking.

Brittany, while there are some soups that are okay, the absolute best ones are those you make yourself. Do you have a crockpot? If so, you could cut up ingredients the night before, stick them in the fridge and then put them in a crockpot in the morning and when you get home, you'll have a delicious gluten-free soup ready for you. And depending on what you put in it, many freeze extremely well. There's nothing like a stash in the freezer for those days you absolutely don't feel like cooking.

I am also interested in making some homemade gluten-free, df, corn free, soy free soups. Do you have any recommendations or recipes of soups that you have made? I don't currently own a crock pot, so I've never made any soups in a crock pot, but I am going to buy one. Any homemade recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :D

Thanks everyone! I will have to check out the progresso ones!! and Make my own!

We make our own as well. Stock is always on hand and that makes it REALLY easy to whip up a variety of soups at the drop of a hat.

I have been eating Campbell's Chunky Soup Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Its one of the few that are gluten free in that line. They also have Ham and Split Pea.

progressos are good. I am going to have to check out the Campbells Chunky soup someone mentioned-that sounds good!

Be aware that Campbell's in Canada has gluten free versions of some soups. In the US they don't. Read the labels!

I love making chicken soup, although I am in search of a good soup noodle. When I wasn't feeling well a few weeks ago I dragged my husband to the store to hunt decent soup with me. I picked up a couple of cans of Wolfgang Puck soup, and while I don't remember which ones they were I can say they were delicious. If I remember correctly all of the soups are gluten free and organic. If you do make your own chicken soup I highly recommend using tarragon, it gives an amazing flavor that just can't be beat.

I love making chicken soup, although I am in search of a good soup noodle. When I wasn't feeling well a few weeks ago I dragged my husband to the store to hunt decent soup with me. I picked up a couple of cans of Wolfgang Puck soup, and while I don't remember which ones they were I can say they were delicious. If I remember correctly all of the soups are gluten free and organic. If you do make your own chicken soup I highly recommend using tarragon, it gives an amazing flavor that just can't be beat.

I like the Schar's Tagliatelle (sp?) noodles for noodle soup. They are thin and slurpy.

I like bean thread for soup noodles.

A quick 1/2 hour soup and freezes well. I use corn pasta and cook very al dente, otherwise it will mushup when you reheat.

Spinach, Celery, Sausage and Pasta Soup

16 oz sausage links ( I use chicken sausage)

6 Cups chicken stock (Kitchen Basics gluten-free) I use low sodium

2 - 14 oz diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano

2 - Cups thinly sliced celery include leaves

2 grated carrots

Salt & Pepper to taste

10-12 oz bag baby spinach

Optional:

grated Parmesan Reggiano Cheese

Chiffonade Basil

Heat 1 T olive oil in soup pot over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage and add to pot, stirring to crumble for 10 minutes, add celery and saute for 2 - 3 minutes.

Add stock, tomatoes, grated carrots S & P to taste and bring to simmer, add pasta cook till pasta is al dente. Remove from heat and add spinach till wilted. Serve with cheese and basil if desired.

This freezes well and you'd never know it had been frozen.

I've been using canned Goya for my Minestrone and have had no episodes, I use to make many other soups with dried bagged beans but have not done so because I'm afraid to use the bagged beans. If anyone has found dried gluten-free beans that work for them please share. I miss my 16 bean soup as well as the Black Bean Soup.

Nothing like a great hot soup on a cold winter day.