1 reply to this topic

#1 TamTam

TamTam

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

My family and I are considering a permanent move from the United States to the Aramco facility in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Does anyone know of the availability of reliable gluten-free foods at grocery stores and restaurants in that area? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dani nero

dani nero

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

My family and I are considering a permanent move from the United States to the Aramco facility in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. Does anyone know of the availability of reliable gluten-free foods at grocery stores and restaurants in that area? Thanks

Hi Tamtam. I have been to Riyadh but not Dahran. There were plenty of gluten-free sections at large supermarkets like Danoub, Carefour, Lulu, and Tamimi (Safeway).. The restaurants and shops have no idea what gluten even is though, so they know nothing about CC or hidden gluten in sauces. It's up to you to be safe if you choose to eat out.
Also not all foods are imported from the US or Europe, so you have to be very careful with hidden ingredients when grocery shopping and reading labels. Good luck!

One thing you REALLY have to be careful of at supermarkets is that they actually mix organic-foods with gluten-free ones, so it is very easy to pick whole-grain organic pasta or wheat flour by mistake.. Even same brands which offer both whole-grain wheat flour and gluten-free flour mixed up on the same shelf. Make sure that each and every thing you pick is checked and don't take anything for granted. Dust them off when you get home in case of CC if you're super sensitive.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: