This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Antibiotic Gluten Free (I Can't Find Info)

researchmomma

researchmomma Contributor

my daughter was prescribed oral suspension amoxicillin for pneumonia.

It is by West-ward pharmaceuticals and the tutti frutti flavor is making me nervous.

Anyone have experience with this one? CVS didn't know. Website: nothing.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Generally, you should contact the manufacturer directly. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the suspension Amoxicillins I've taken, but I don't recognize the lab name.

I always call the manufacturer because I want to make absolutely certain that there's no gluten, and I've received prompt answers to my questions.

Generally, you should contact the manufacturer directly. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the suspension Amoxicillins I've taken, but I don't recognize the lab name.

I always call the manufacturer because I want to make absolutely certain that there's no gluten, and I've received prompt answers to my questions.

I am on the phone with them right now. They were closed last night when I thought about it AFTER I had given her a dose. I am still a little new to this. I had googled it and Amoxil came up gluten free but it was the version made by GSK.

They confirmed that it is gluten free.

Thanks!

Roda Rising Star

I've found CVS to be less than helpful. Seems every time I needed a RX I had to jump through hoops to get any information. I was told by a pharmacist that they don't have internet access or manufacturers phone numbers. I was instructed to go home look it up on my own. One time I asked to see a package insert to review the inactive ingredients because the pharmacist couldn't find where it was. Kinda scarry to me. I don't expect them to know the inactive ingredients, but they should know how to read a package insert! I now use a privately owned pharmacy and their customer service is excellent! They go out of their way to check ingredients and will call the manufactures for me. They do compounding there too so thats a plus if I were to need that service.

Can your daughter can swallow pills? It's been my experience that I run into less problems with gluten in pill form than liquid. My youngest son(7) is on omnicef for strep right now. Luckily the NP was able to dose him correctly with pill form. We still have to get liquid medications sometimes because we cant always get the correct dosage for him in pill form.

I've found CVS to be less than helpful. Seems every time I needed a RX I had to jump through hoops to get any information. I was told by a pharmacist that they don't have internet access or manufacturers phone numbers. I was instructed to go home look it up on my own. One time I asked to see a package insert to review the inactive ingredients because the pharmacist couldn't find where it was. Kinda scarry to me. I don't expect them to know the inactive ingredients, but they should know how to read a package insert! I now use a privately owned pharmacy and their customer service is excellent! They go out of their way to check ingredients and will call the manufactures for me. They do compounding there too so thats a plus if I were to need that service.

Can your daughter can swallow pills? It's been my experience that I run into less problems with gluten in pill form than liquid. My youngest son(7) is on omnicef for strep right now. Luckily the NP was able to dose him correctly with pill form. We still have to get liquid medications sometimes because we cant always get the correct dosage for him in pill form.

hi Roda, I had the EXACT same experience with CVS. Clueless. I should go the private route. Good idea.

She can swallow pills which is what they first gave her but they were too big and she gagged them back up multiple times. So she did get the liquid. When I called the mfg they said "why are you asking about gluten free". It was so strange...I mean, what did she expect me to say "No reason, just thought I'd call and chat with you. How's the weather?". Maybe she was thinking to tell me that if I my daughter isn't Celiac, I should not worry? I am not sure but her exact statement was "this product isn't made with any gluten".

• 5 years later...
rob240 Newbie

Hi...I know this is a very old post, however I had the same concerns for my daughter and just got off the phone with west-ward labs regarding their amoxicillin with the tutti-fruiti flavor, which I didn't want flavoring in the first place, but incompetent pharmacists is a different topic.   The person I spoke to was very helpful and did confirm that there is no gluten and no chance of cross-contamination.  There is also no alcohol or dairy.  There is, however, a very high sugar content which we always try to avoid and is actually an irritant to my daughter's infection, so not sure why the doctor thought that was good to prescribe.  It seems you can't win with medicine in this country!  Ok, back to the topic, if you get west-ward labs amoxicillin soon, you are good.  If you see this a year from now, I would call because you never know when they will change their formulas.

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, rob240 said:

Hi...I know this is a very old post, however I had the same concerns for my daughter and just got off the phone with west-ward labs regarding their amoxicillin with the tutti-fruiti flavor, which I didn't want flavoring in the first place, but incompetent pharmacists is a different topic.   The person I spoke to was very helpful and did confirm that there is no gluten and no chance of cross-contamination.  There is also no alcohol or dairy.  There is, however, a very high sugar content which we always try to avoid and is actually an irritant to my daughter's infection, so not sure why the doctor thought that was good to prescribe.  It seems you can't win with medicine in this country!  Ok, back to the topic, if you get west-ward labs amoxicillin soon, you are good.  If you see this a year from now, I would call because you never know when they will change their formulas.

This is a current and a trusted source:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived