Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Antibiotic Gluten Free (I Can't Find Info)

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 researchmomma

researchmomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

my daughter was prescribed oral suspension amoxicillin for pneumonia.

It is by West-ward pharmaceuticals and the tutti frutti flavor is making me nervous.

Anyone have experience with this one? CVS didn't know. Website: nothing.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

Generally, you should contact the manufacturer directly. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the suspension Amoxicillins I've taken, but I don't recognize the lab name.

I always call the manufacturer because I want to make absolutely certain that there's no gluten, and I've received prompt answers to my questions.

#3 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

Generally, you should contact the manufacturer directly. Personally, I haven't had any problems with the suspension Amoxicillins I've taken, but I don't recognize the lab name.

I always call the manufacturer because I want to make absolutely certain that there's no gluten, and I've received prompt answers to my questions.

I am on the phone with them right now. They were closed last night when I thought about it AFTER I had given her a dose. I am still a little new to this. I had googled it and Amoxil came up gluten free but it was the version made by GSK.

They confirmed that it is gluten free.

Thanks!

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

I've found CVS to be less than helpful. Seems every time I needed a RX I had to jump through hoops to get any information. I was told by a pharmacist that they don't have internet access or manufacturers phone numbers. I was instructed to go home look it up on my own. One time I asked to see a package insert to review the inactive ingredients because the pharmacist couldn't find where it was. Kinda scarry to me. I don't expect them to know the inactive ingredients, but they should know how to read a package insert! I now use a privately owned pharmacy and their customer service is excellent! They go out of their way to check ingredients and will call the manufactures for me. They do compounding there too so thats a plus if I were to need that service.

Can your daughter can swallow pills? It's been my experience that I run into less problems with gluten in pill form than liquid. My youngest son(7) is on omnicef for strep right now. Luckily the NP was able to dose him correctly with pill form. We still have to get liquid medications sometimes because we cant always get the correct dosage for him in pill form.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#5 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've found CVS to be less than helpful. Seems every time I needed a RX I had to jump through hoops to get any information. I was told by a pharmacist that they don't have internet access or manufacturers phone numbers. I was instructed to go home look it up on my own. One time I asked to see a package insert to review the inactive ingredients because the pharmacist couldn't find where it was. Kinda scarry to me. I don't expect them to know the inactive ingredients, but they should know how to read a package insert! I now use a privately owned pharmacy and their customer service is excellent! They go out of their way to check ingredients and will call the manufactures for me. They do compounding there too so thats a plus if I were to need that service.

Can your daughter can swallow pills? It's been my experience that I run into less problems with gluten in pill form than liquid. My youngest son(7) is on omnicef for strep right now. Luckily the NP was able to dose him correctly with pill form. We still have to get liquid medications sometimes because we cant always get the correct dosage for him in pill form.

hi Roda, I had the EXACT same experience with CVS. Clueless. I should go the private route. Good idea.

She can swallow pills which is what they first gave her but they were too big and she gagged them back up multiple times. So she did get the liquid. When I called the mfg they said "why are you asking about gluten free". It was so strange...I mean, what did she expect me to say "No reason, just thought I'd call and chat with you. How's the weather?". Maybe she was thinking to tell me that if I my daughter isn't Celiac, I should not worry? I am not sure but her exact statement was "this product isn't made with any gluten".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: