14 replies to this topic

#1 cyberprof

cyberprof

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Happy Birthday to me! And Happy Re-Birthday to me too! Thursday is my birthday – yes, I’m a Groundhog. And in two weeks, it will be five years since I was diagnosed and went gluten-free. I have to say that this is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, after the birth of my kids.

Since diagnosis, I’ve adapted to eating gluten-free and manage most situations pretty well. Business meetings and travel are still a challenge, but not unmanageable. I’m known for having both a KIND bar and a LARA bar in my purse at all times.

My recovery was pretty easy and a lot of problems cleared up unexpectedly. What had become daily episodes of gas, burping, indigestion, stomach gurgles/rumbles, big D, nausea - all gone. Canker sores – a monthly or weekly occurrence – gone except for after glutening. Arthritis in knees, hips, spine, feet…90% gone. Anxiety – mostly gone. Plantaar faciitis, a problem for three years, gone never to return. No more dental cavities. I’m overall healthier and when I wake up in the morning, I no longer feel like I’ve been hit by a truck: Prior to diagnosis, I just thought I was feeling old (at age 47).

I think I became celiac as a kid but the real symptoms started showing up at age 17: One doc thought I had rheumatoid arthritis and did lots of tests for that when I was 18 but ultimately said that I didn’t have it but didn’t know what I had. He was pretty close, since RA is also an autoimmune disease. So that’s 30 years undiagnosed, with docs telling me during that time that I just had a “sensitive” stomach and implied that I was a hypochondriac. But I had it easy compared to some on here.

I was really oh-so-lucky to have had two relatively easy pregnancies and two healthy babies. The greatest benefit of my diagnosis is that my son was able to go gluten-free (and dairy-free) at age 15 and is now happy and healthy – 6’3” and in college. He was spared the 30+ years of ill health that I had. My brother tested negative but went gluten-free anyway and is enjoying better health.

Right after diagnosis, I found that my reactions to accidental glutening were intense and made me miss work and stay near a toilet for 2-3 days. Now, I consider myself pretty sensitive so I can tell 30 minutes after eating that I had some gluten as a result of cross-contamination: The reactions are some D but not enough to miss work or make me miserable. I have forever sworn off buffets, even if the chef tells me it’s ok and I don’t eat food that friends prepare, with a few exceptions (mother, MIL, sister).

I love to cook and have mastered gluten-free cooking and baking as much as I need to. I make some things that are just great – not as substitutes but good in their own right – pizza, brownies, carrot cake. I don’t bake bread often but find that Rudi’s bread and Udi’s hamburger buns are good for everyday use. I still miss croissants, puff pastry and phyllo dough…though not enough to think about it very often.

I’m really thankful for this board as it’s a wealth of information and a good place to hang out with some very knowledgeable people. Especially long-timers like Ravenwoodglass, Lisa, Jerseyangel and others I’m sure that I’m forgetting…you’ve helped me immensely. And thanks to Scott for starting this board.

I’m posting this as a celebration for me but also to encourage anyone at the early part of their celiac journey.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

First--Happy Birthday!!! Second, I'm surprised to see that your life story so closely mirrors mine. I was diagnosed at 47, and my son was the same age as your own son: 15. I'm also grateful that he was spared the many years of illness, and he grew to be tall (6'4") just like your son. The charts had indicated that he was supposed to be 6'5" to 6'8", but his growth slowed tremendously when he developed celiac at age 11. He didn't disclose to me that he was feeling ill, and it wasn't until he was 15 that he began to have problems attending school because he'd become so very ill. You and I both have a lot to be grateful for. Isn't it nice to say good-bye to the arthritis and plantar fasciitis?

When asked what I miss most, I also respond with, "Croissants!" And I also miss puff pastry and phyllo--ah, just to be able to eat them one more time would make me feel so fulfilled...

I enjoyed reading your post...and wish you a most wonderful birthday!

#3 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

Happy birthday and congratulations on five years fo progress being gluten-free. Thanks for letting me that I can look forward to some of my issues passing. Struggling right now with planter's faciitis myself.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

Happy Birthday!!! Your post is an inspiration to so many who are struggling to regain good health!!!

It's my son's birthday today, too...another groundhog.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D
It's so nice to read your story of gaining good health, both for yourself and your son.
It sure sends a strong message of hope for those new to the diet, like me.

#7 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your story. Can you share something else? I'd love a carrot cake recipe!! :)

#8 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your story. Can you share something else? I'd love a carrot cake recipe!! :)

THanks!

The carrot cake and brownies are from the Gluten Free Goddess Cake - http://glutenfreegod...arrot-cake.html

Brownies - http://glutenfreegod...e-brownies.html She's updated her recipe so it's dairy-free too although the original with butter is to-die-for if you can have butter. I makethe carrot cake dairy free and use earth balance for the frosting and no-one has ever complained...even my non-gluten-free and non-df daughter!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#9 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Happy birthday and congratulations on five years fo progress being gluten-free. Thanks for letting me that I can look forward to some of my issues passing. Struggling right now with planter's faciitis myself.

It's funny about the plantar faciitis...I had it so bad that I couldn't walk at times in the 3 years before diagnosis. Even wore a night-splint for 10 months straight. Special shoes, inserts, ice - no dice. Nothing helped. But then in all the excitement about celiac, it took me about a month to realize that I wasn't in pain anymore. It could be a coincidence...but it never came back!

#10 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

happy birthday(s)!!! it's awesome to feel so much better after so many years of being ill for no 'reason' - i was 47 when i was diagnosed, too - and my b-day is next week :) *aquarius rocks*

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 Aly1

Aly1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

THanks!

The carrot cake and brownies are from the Gluten Free Goddess Cake - http://glutenfreegod...arrot-cake.html

Brownies - http://glutenfreegod...e-brownies.html She's updated her recipe so it's dairy-free too although the original with butter is to-die-for if you can have butter. I makethe carrot cake dairy free and use earth balance for the frosting and no-one has ever complained...even my non-gluten-free and non-df daughter!

Yay, thanks! :)

#12 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Happy birthday :) this post made my day as its giving me hope! I was undiagnosed for 20 years, ecstatic to finally have an answer and feel better. But I feel like I've been more sensitive than ever, even the tiniest bit of cc and I'm down for days. Your post gives me so much hope not ro give up on myself. Thank you :)
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Happy Birthday from one Prof to another! :)

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

I am a late-in-life DXed celiac myself, but this last year of being gluten-free has been a year of slow healing and because I relentlessly pursued a DX, I feel as though, I too was re-born. I was the walking dead for 3 years. Not anymore. It will take me a while, but at least it is progress. ;)

Good for you--- and continued good health to you!
Cheers,
IH

Love the Abigail Adams quote, BTW--very true indeed!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 Buffheart

Buffheart

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

Happy belated birthday!

#15 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks everyone! While some parts of the gluten-free diet are confounding, overall I am very happy and I'm glad if that gives others hope for the future. My big hope is that as more people get diagnosed, the food industry (especially restaurants and caterers) develop ways to accomodate us easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: