2 replies to this topic

#1 jdizzle

jdizzle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

I've been gluten free just short of two weeks, and yesterday and this morning I was finally starting to feel good, my energy was coming back and my stomach was pretty happy, then after dinner (salad with salmon and mussels) I felt disgusting, sleepy and bloated with gut pain. The feeling just seemed to increase so I checked the mussel container and the wood smoked flavoring contained traces of gluten. I wouldn't think such a tiny amount would affect me so quickly, and I am SO distended! This is the first time I've forgotten to check the ingredients! Based on some things I've read, I'm terrified that I'll have to go through the entire withdrawal process all over again! Just as I was getting better. The last two weeks have felt like months! Please don't say I have to go through it all again, I had no energy, nausea, pains, palpitations etc after quitting. I also read somewhere that after quitting gluten it's worse the next time you ingest it. Is there any comfort for me? Or do I have to spend another two weeks in misery?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

I don't think that this glutening will set you back to zero and reset the withdrawal clock. While glutenings are not pleasant, and they can last for varying lengths of time in different people, you have not "fallen off the wagon" and it shouldln't affect your withdrawal symptoms. If it did it would be hard for any of us to make it through because it is in the beginning that we make our most mistakes. I am sorry you are feeling miserable, So yes, our reactions to gluten do tend to get worse once we rid our bodies of it, but no, it should not put you back into withdrawal. It is just a blip on the radar although it doesn't feel like it at the moment.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 jdizzle

jdizzle

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

I don't think that this glutening will set you back to zero and reset the withdrawal clock. While glutenings are not pleasant, and they can last for varying lengths of time in different people, you have not "fallen off the wagon" and it shouldln't affect your withdrawal symptoms. If it did it would be hard for any of us to make it through because it is in the beginning that we make our most mistakes. I am sorry you are feeling miserable, So yes, our reactions to gluten do tend to get worse once we rid our bodies of it, but no, it should not put you back into withdrawal. It is just a blip on the radar although it doesn't feel like it at the moment.

Thanks, that's very good to hear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: