This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Hershey's Miniatures Aren't Gluten Free?

livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

Going through it again, just sick enough to KNOW I've gotten glutened somehow. The only thing I've had that's different is the Hershey's special dark miniatures. I read the bag and thought they were ok but now I'm reading online on many different sites that neither the special dark or any of the minis are gluten free. I swear I checked the label! What gives? I sure hope it doesn't last long this time :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

It may not be the ingredients of the candies that contain gluten. Since some of their candy contains gluten (there's probably malt flavoring in the rice krispies in the crackle bars), chances are that there is cross-contamination of the manufacturing or packaging lines. Even though they clean the lines between different foods, there's still a chance of a trace of gluten getting into the next food. I seem to hear more about this relating to the smaller sizes of candy or holiday special versions. You may have to switch to another brand of chocolate to get your fix safely.

killernj13 Enthusiast

The confusion with the holiday candies is the Resses Peanut Butter cups holiday version have contained wheat in the past. Recently, I have not noticed that and they have been OK.

The overall problem with Hershey from what I have read here is they don't guarantee the food to be gluten-free due to cross contamination and protecing their suppliers and their proprietary product.

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

I talked to Hershey on the phone yesterday and their explanation was that because the non-gluten candy bars come in the same bag as the gluten containing (krackle and mr. Goodbar) they get cross contaminated because they are wrapped in a simple folded piece of foil a opposed to a sealed wrapper. The lady I spoke to said they ate consider changing their labeling or packaging because of this problem. It sounded like I was one of many who had the issue. I will not be purchasing Hershey's anymore to e safe. She said the only products that are gluten free are the 1.55 ounce plain Hershey bar and the Hershey kisses. Although they disclose all the gluten containing ingredients on te package, most of their products are subject to contamination. Lessons learned the hard way again.

AVR1962 Collaborator

As a reward for my students they receive a bit of candy if tasks are completed. One of the packs I bought at Christmas time was the mixed bag of miniatures. One the bag each bar's ingredients was listed. I didn't pay attention to the dark choco but did have the regualr milk choco and was fine. I did notice there were a couple I could not have. So I think it depends on the bar you are eating basically.

One that I got sick from is Nestle's milk chocolate Raisinets. I think the culprit ingredient is confectioner's glaze. I guess I should not have taken a chance not knowing what that is. Ended up sick for 10 days, dizzy, stomach yuck, headache, and all the rest. No fun!

I hope you're feeling better by now LiveLifeLarger!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

One that I got sick from is Nestle's milk chocolate Raisinets. I think the culprit ingredient is confectioner's glaze. I guess I should not have taken a chance not knowing what that is. Ended up sick for 10 days, dizzy, stomach yuck, headache, and all the rest. No fun!

I wonder if you are sensitive to something other than gluten or perhaps the reaction was from something else. Raisinets are one of my go to snacks and I have never had an issue with them. I'm not sure what the glaze is made from as it can come from a variety of sources. Maybe contact Nestle and ask what they make it from.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I wonder if you are sensitive to something other than gluten or perhaps the reaction was from something else. Raisinets are one of my go to snacks and I have never had an issue with them. I'm not sure what the glaze is made from as it can come from a variety of sources. Maybe contact Nestle and ask what they make it from.

That's a good idea. I have never madea call before about ingredients but I did find this one bewildering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That's a good idea. I have never madea call before about ingredients but I did find this one bewildering.

Are you okay with dairy? Perhaps that might be the issue with them. We also have to keep in mind that it isn't always the last thing we eat that gets us as our reactions can be delayed. It is helpful for some to keep a food and symptoms diary to see if there is a pattern.

I think the glaze used on Raisenettes is a lac-resin which is the same resin used on fruits and some veggies. I could be wrong though.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Yes, the package does say it is a lac-resin. I am lactose intolerant but I take an enzyme and do just fine. I wonder also if there could have been some CC in the package. Sometimes certain bags of microwave popcorn with do the very same thing to me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yes, the package does say it is a lac-resin. I am lactose intolerant but I take an enzyme and do just fine. I wonder also if there could have been some CC in the package. Sometimes certain bags of microwave popcorn with do the very same thing to me.

Lac-resin is insect derived not dairy derived. So it would be gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

The milk would be in the chocolate over the rasiens. It could perhaps be CC but I am pretty sensitive and have never had an issue with them. Maybe call the company and see if they are processed in a shared plant. It can be hard to rule out that something else may have gotten us and the timing of the reaction can be a coincidence.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thanks for the reply. For now I am just going to stay away from the choco raisins. With me, it is hard to say, I could veen be having a reaction to the riasins themselves. Crazy how various foods will effect me for awhile and then after a few months I am okay again. Good thing, is I am actually feeling evidence of healing.

• 4 years later...
kathie m Newbie

I am really ill just now - 20 minutes after eating 2 Hersheys Milk Chocolate Miniatures - checked on the Hersheys site and the milk choc. minis are NOT included on their list of gluten-free products -and no, I am not sensitive to dairy, so that's not it.  NO MORE for me... it is not the "end to a perfect day" but it isn't fun.

Archived