Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

We Need To Start A Thread On Stupid Stuff Doctors Say!

• Please log in to reply

279 replies to this topic

#166 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Went to an allergist today and he said, "Wheat allergy and celiacs are two different things; I can test you for a wheat allergy but celiacs is the same thing as gluten intolerance and you would have to see a GI doctor to see if you have gluten intolerance".

:huh: Im like wow i have only been learning about gluten adverse effects for a couple weeks and even I know Gluten Intolerance, Wheat Allergy, and Celiacs are three different things. I wanted to say gluten intolerance is not an autoimmune response! Whatever he ordered full celiac panel to take to the lab of my choice so i guess i am content. :D
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#167 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Went to the GI that first DXed me yesterday. I didn't stick with her because she didn't seem too knowledgeable. Saw another GI here in town..who referred me to Mayo Clinc...

She looked at my file and noted that it says I appear to have a severe case of bacterial overgrowth. She looked up at me and said.."How do you think it got in there"? :blink:

I asked my new PCP to test my iron levels. I seemed to be having symptoms of anemia that were worsening. When I checked back I was told my iron was "normal"..so I quit taking the supplement. I asked for a copy of the test results for my file. When it arrived I had raised TIBC..meaning iron deficiency anemia. When I taked to the GI about whether it could be from a glutening, or if we should question a bleed somewhere..she said"..Just take the iron supplement. Your body will cast off anything it doesn't need."
Ummm...iron overload can cause organ failure.
This isn't tricky stuff! :o

#168 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

I went to a dr that someone suggested because she seemed to know a lot about celiac. I had been on levo for a few months and still didn't feel better. Actually I started sleeping more. I asked her if she could test everything having to do with my thyroid. I also asked her if she'd be willing to prescribe me t3 if the tests showed that I needed it. She pretty much said yeah and basically said she's not going to risk her job and give me something just because I think I might need it. My TSH came back around 2. something. It had started to creep back up but since it was normal she left it. Saw her once <_<

Oh and when I mentioned my c that even draino couldn't get rid of her brilliant advice was to eat more vegetables and handed me a paper with paleo info. :angry:
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

#169 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

I can't stand it when a doctor doesn't listen. The doctor-before-last let me ramble on about my problems, and didn't take in a word of it.

Doc "How have you been feeling?"

Me "Well, I have diarrhea every single day, my migraines are getting more frequent, and the anxiety is still crippling. I've tried everything I can think of to help the anxiety, but still get no relief."

Doc "Oh okay" (looks at paperwork) "And how has your anxiety been?"

DOH!!! :angry:

Her solution to my textbook GI symptoms was to lose weight. All my medical problems would be solved by losing just a few pounds. So she prescribed Phentermine, and called it "A Magic Pill". After a single dose I thought my heart would explode, and I couldn't sleep for a week. Who is training these idiots??

#170 Anianna

Anianna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

My doc has finally gotten frustrated with the recurring debilitating blistering rashes I have had for two years now. I asked, "could it be something autoimmune?", but she just answered, "you just have very sensitive skin". Posted Image

#171 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

Not having anything to so w/ celiac but still makes me shudder is when I went to my OB/GYN pregnant w/ my first (of 3) daughters and told him I was felt so sick all the time I could barely eat because I was so nauseous and barfed so often that I was losing weight rather than gaining it. He literally put his hand on my shoulder and said, "You know... I really think that it's more of an 'in your mind' kind of thing."

I was so shocked... but got it together enough to say as I opened my purse, "Yea... so this plastic bag I carry around at all times in case I barf anywhere and everywhere is surely 'in my mind' too!!"
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#172 Anianna

Anianna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Sometimes it's in the doc's head. I once had a pediatrician go on and on about how my son would need tubes in his ears because of some fluid that dripped out when I laid him on the examining table. I patiently listened to him until he was finished and then politely pointed out that the fluid was a bit of breast milk that had dripped down my son's cheek because he's a bit of a sloppy eater. :rolleyes:

#173 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

My Allergist said the oddest thing to me on my last visit:

"Your first visit you came in knowing that you were Gluten Intolerant. Rarely are my patients right. Usually I lie to them when they say they have this or that because 9/10 times they are wrong."

How about wait until a results are done before coming to conclusions. LOL Honestly though, I think it was the way he worded it that made it sound very strange. The thing is he never once disagreed with me, simply because I knew so much about Gluten Intolerance and was definitely symptomatic. My Allergist is a great doctor by the way - I really have no complaints. The many, many other doctors I have seen - that is a different story. I'll have to share some of what they've said.

#174 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hubs and I for a while shared the same PCP. Invariably, if either of us mentioned some new thing that was bothering us, he would say, "You know, my wife had that...." We decided his wife must be a basket case :lol: We used to laugh about it all the time.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#175 MartyrMom2

MartyrMom2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

My former gastroenterologist stated that my colon was quite twisty and turvy and that this was indicative of IBS! Medical jargon, you know.
Symptoms: Abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, acid reflux, fatigue, unexplained bruising, unidentified skin rashes, lactose intolerance, and a myriad of other health issues/complaints.
HLA-DQ8 Gene (Enterolab, March 2009)
Diagnoses: IBS (1-19-06), Hypokalemia (7-13-07), Hypothyroidism (10-17-08)
Medications:(Synthroid 0.075 MG)
Family History of Autoimmune Diseases: Maternal Grandmother (Graves Disease) Paternal Grandfather (Type 1 Diabetes, RA) Great Aunt (Crohns Disease)Self (Hashimoto's, pending test results)

#176 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

My former gastroenterologist stated that my colon was quite twisty and turvy and that this was indicative of IBS! Medical jargon, you know.

"quite twisty and turvy"

hmm...that's a new one. :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#177 MartyrMom2

MartyrMom2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

"quite twisty and turvy"

hmm...that's a new one. :lol:

Never cease to be amazed! :P
Symptoms: Abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipation, acid reflux, fatigue, unexplained bruising, unidentified skin rashes, lactose intolerance, and a myriad of other health issues/complaints.
HLA-DQ8 Gene (Enterolab, March 2009)
Diagnoses: IBS (1-19-06), Hypokalemia (7-13-07), Hypothyroidism (10-17-08)
Medications:(Synthroid 0.075 MG)
Family History of Autoimmune Diseases: Maternal Grandmother (Graves Disease) Paternal Grandfather (Type 1 Diabetes, RA) Great Aunt (Crohns Disease)Self (Hashimoto's, pending test results)

#178 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Never cease to be amazed! :P

I never do.

Not when it comes to anything having to do with the medical community....or celiac...or human nature. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#179 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

How about : "We don't regard that to be medically significant!" - spoken of my breathing problems before I was diagnosed with COPD. How I hated that woman and I was stuck with her as a PCP in an HMO :ph34r: Supercilious beotch.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#180 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

How about : "We don't regard that to be medically significant!" - spoken of my breathing problems before I was diagnosed with COPD. How I hated that woman and I was stuck with her as a PCP in an HMO :ph34r: Supercilious beotch.

:blink: beotch :angry:

shroom, I just sent a bunch of articles to a family member re: COPD and celiac. Guess we can add it to the ever-growing list of related diseases, I am afraid.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: