arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

We Need To Start A Thread On Stupid Stuff Doctors Say!

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#16 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

My favourite one:

After me convincing my old doctor to spring me out of hospital as long as he took full responsibility for my care the conversion goes like this:

Doc: When they sent me the note they said you needed to get a psych test to see if you have an eating disorder.
Me: What the hell?
Doc: Apparently you refused to eat a lot of the food while you were there.
Me: Yeah cause I was throwing up and had D constantly, I would just throw up more food, what is the point? Plus she wants me to eat toast, and that's what started this thing when I first got admitted to the hospital. I told the nurse it makes me sick and she threatened me saying if I didn't eat, they'd make me do a psych test.
Doc: Toast makes you sick? Why don't you eat wheatbix or crumpets instead?
Me: Because they make me sick too?
Doc: Well I don't know what's wrong with you but in the meantime I'm going to run some autoimmune tests because one of your tests came back with the Ttg through the roof. In the meantime, take these steroids so you system will stop attacking itself and you have to get a psych test.
Me: Okay, so what do I eat in the meantime?
Doc: Pasta, cake, cookies, muffins, whatever will keep the weight on.
Me: That couldn't be causing the problems could it? When I was a kid I never ate anything like that stuff and I never had these problems.
Doc: Don't be silly, food can't make you sick. You probably just have an eating disorder and need an excuse to throw it up.
Me: I think I would know if I had one, I work with ED patients all the time at work. Besides how am I supposed to fake the Ttg or whatever it is?
Doc: You're probably in denial, just do the psych test.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 researchmomma

researchmomma

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

"Oh honey, you don't want Celiac Disease. You can't have bread!" Oh, well then I guess I don't have it. Never mind this biopsy report....Duh.

This made me laugh out loud.

#18 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

So did you do the psych test? I would have been tempted to experiment with a psychologist over this.

#19 researchmomma

researchmomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

My favourite one:

After me convincing my old doctor to spring me out of hospital as long as he took full responsibility for my care the conversion goes like this:

Doc: When they sent me the note they said you needed to get a psych test to see if you have an eating disorder.
Me: What the hell?
Doc: Apparently you refused to eat a lot of the food while you were there.
Me: Yeah cause I was throwing up and had D constantly, I would just throw up more food, what is the point? Plus she wants me to eat toast, and that's what started this thing when I first got admitted to the hospital. I told the nurse it makes me sick and she threatened me saying if I didn't eat, they'd make me do a psych test.
Doc: Toast makes you sick? Why don't you eat wheatbix or crumpets instead?
Me: Because they make me sick too?
Doc: Well I don't know what's wrong with you but in the meantime I'm going to run some autoimmune tests because one of your tests came back with the Ttg through the roof. In the meantime, take these steroids so you system will stop attacking itself and you have to get a psych test.
Me: Okay, so what do I eat in the meantime?
Doc: Pasta, cake, cookies, muffins, whatever will keep the weight on.
Me: That couldn't be causing the problems could it? When I was a kid I never ate anything like that stuff and I never had these problems.
Doc: Don't be silly, food can't make you sick. You probably just have an eating disorder and need an excuse to throw it up.
Me: I think I would know if I had one, I work with ED patients all the time at work. Besides how am I supposed to fake the Ttg or whatever it is?
Doc: You're probably in denial, just do the psych test.

My family is in bed and I am up reading stuff on the computer WITH a glass of red wine because it is Saturday night. So, I just have to say that this is another Abbot and Costello conversation. Just insanity. A book could be written about the absolute absurdity of it all.

#20 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

diandliam,

I am a psychologist which is what made that statement so ironic. I would know if I had an eating disorder because I work with these girls and the occasional boy everyday because they have eating disorders. The test came up with that I do not have an eating disorder along in the past I have had periods of disordered eating, mainly due to the celiac.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

"Oh honey, you don't want Celiac Disease. You can't have bread!" Oh, well then I guess I don't have it. Never mind this biopsy report....Duh.

wow, Mitzi..... doc says you're "good to go" then! Have a donut.
:rolleyes:

OY

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 upwitht21

upwitht21

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Dr insists I'm severely depressed and needed an antidepressant......just found out I'm pregnant, so anyone think my fatigue is depression related lol!

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Dr insists I'm severely depressed and needed an antidepressant......just found out I'm pregnant, so anyone think my fatigue is depression related lol!

congrats! and nope! best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#24 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

Oh gosh, I'm getting paranoid. My next appointment is tomorrow! So far though in three years this doc hasn't said anything monumentally stupid to me.

On the other hand, plenty of doctors have. The most memorable was an ortho. I fell at work straight onto my knees, on a concrete floor. (I didn't drop the pizzas and they were fine to go out to the customers!) After about a month of physical therapy, drugs and a half dozen visits to the doctor I got referred to an ortho. He told me to continue with PT even though it was agonizingly painful. After another month or so when I went back and told him it's worse instead of better he told me that I was just being "too sensitive" and to learn to get over it since my MRI didn't show any real damage. I do no know how I got out of there without decking the guy.

I promptly requested a new doctor. The new doctor reviewed all my records, scheduled surgery and in no time my knee felt about as good as the rest of me. He said there was some minor damage with some "junk" floating around in my joint which is why it always felt like I had shards of glass whenever I moved my leg.

Too sensitive my fat a...... I still want to punch that guy.

The only other doctor who really made me angry was one who told me in the ER on a evening when my gallbladder decided to act up that I should stop coming into the ER for pain relief and just have surgery already. "The ER isn't a drug dispensary." This is after I explained that I was having trouble with my insurance paying for the surgery and had no other options. I was also already high as a kite from percocet when I went in and was still in so much pain I was lucky I could walk.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

So far though in three years this doc hasn't said anything monumentally stupid to me.

YET :lol:

(sorry, I am a tad "jaded"-- to say the least)

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#26 Meggielynn13

Meggielynn13

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

My GI Doc just apparently came out from under the rock he was living under. IH knows all about this guy haha.

"I think you're lactose intolerant. I think you should stop drinking milk." Really doc, haven't had a glass of milk in 3 years since being diagnosed by my PCP.

This one is even better. " That test that you came up positive on (DGP IgA) is the old test that they used to use. It really means nothing. It might mean however that you could develop Celiac Disease at somepoint in your life. You also could develop Crohn's from this test too." Well i didnt know that they did the gene test from my blood. I'm pretty sure they just did the celiac panel from looking at my paper work. Oh and I don't think you can tell if you are going to get Crohn's from a CELIAC PANEL. Idiot :rolleyes:
Lactose Intolerant-2009
GERD, Hiatal Hernia and Gastritis-2011
GB removed-2011
Celiac positive DGP IgA-2012

Fatty Liver caused by Celiac/GB issues- 5/2012
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease "officially" after liver results came back normal from continuing gluten-free 11/2012

#27 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well my gi told me that I couldn't possibly have celiac because no one in my family is diagnosed with it.

And my new allergist keeps trying to tell me that I don't have asthma and all my asthmatic symptoms come from acid reflux. I've had asthma for over a decade and my endoscopy last fall showed NO signs of acid reflux. How on earth does he think that I could have daily acid reflux for so long without any damage or symptoms of acid reflux?

#28 lc1333

lc1333

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

wow, i'm sorry to hear about all of the stupid doctors out there...

as time goes by and i am feeling so much better, i have been reading more about celiac and the various symptoms and so many of them click, it just makes so much sense now...

and it's really weird to eat and not feel the food moving through my system like a firey torpedo

just a repeat of my last doctor's visit for y'alls enjoyment...

decided to give the gluten free diet a shot after talking to y'all, other docs, and nutritionists

went to a follow up today to discuss the results of going gluten free, this is a synopsis of the conversation:

doc: so how are you feeling?
me: so much better, could i have celiac disease?
doc: no, because you had negative blood work
me: oh, ok, not even with a positive biopsy?
doc: no, because you had negative bloodwork
me: i heard that you can have a false negative and still have celiac if you have a positive biopsy
doc: no, because the blood tests are much more accurate these days, you are probably just gluten intolerant
me: ok, do you think i should be concerned about my kids, they've had many of the same symptoms i had
doc: oh, you have to get them tested
me: oh, really, why?
doc: because you had a positive biopsy
me: oh, so if they have positive bloodwork then they have celiac disease, even without a biopsy?
doc: well yeah, but a biopsy IS the gold standard, but because you had a positive biopsy, you can assume that if they have positive bloodwork that they have celiac disease
me: oh, ok
doc: it's very important that you get them tested, because if they do have celiac and it goes untreated they could have long term health problems like fatty liver and other problems
me: oh, so could my results showing fatty liver be because of longterm (35 yrs) untreated celiac disease?
doc: no, because you had negative bloodwork, but if the gluten free diet is working for you, you should stay with it, but it is difficult and expensive, so just having an intolerance is better because you don't have to be so strict...because if you did have celiac and weren't diligent enough it can cause long term health problems like fatty liver...

hmmm....i think i may actually be losing my mind...

#29 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

Well my gi told me that I couldn't possibly have celiac because no one in my family is diagnosed with it.

Oh yes, I forgot that one! :lol:

My answer to that one was...?.

"Well, someone in the family has to be diagnosed first. Guess that's me."

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#30 GimmeMoe

GimmeMoe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:19 AM

When trying to figure out what is wrong with my daughter, my doctor said "it can't be Celiac - you'd know it. She'd be having bloody diarrhea". *sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: