Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

We Need To Start A Thread On Stupid Stuff Doctors Say!

• Please log in to reply

279 replies to this topic

#91 smjb

smjb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yesterday my doctor said that even though my serologies were positive, we needed to do a biopsy to confirm. Then, if positive, we'd do another biopsy in a few months after being on a gluten-free diet. But most people don't need the 2nd biopsy because their bloodwork comes back negative.

My thoughts: So, we can't trust positive results from the bloodwork but we can trust negative results??? What???? What makes those negative results so much more reliable than the positive ones??

Then, she goes on to say that she doesn't want me going on a gluten-free diet without a positive biopsy because gluten-free diets are "extremely difficult and hard to follow".

My thoughts: So, if the biopsy comes back positive, will a gluten-free diet then be easier to follow and not so difficult?? Doubtful. She pretty much just sent all her negative energy towards me about a gluten-free diet!!! Doomed no matter what is the message I got.

I went on the internet last night and found that many people who test positive to the antibodies and have negative biopsies later develop full-blown celiac, which is probably worse than it might have been had they started a gluten-free diet when the serologies were positive.

UGH.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yesterday my doctor said that even though my serologies were positive, we needed to do a biopsy to confirm. Then, if positive, we'd do another biopsy in a few months after being on a gluten-free diet. But most people don't need the 2nd biopsy because their bloodwork comes back negative.

My thoughts: So, we can't trust positive results from the bloodwork but we can trust negative results??? What???? What makes those negative results so much more reliable than the positive ones??

Then, she goes on to say that she doesn't want me going on a gluten-free diet without a positive biopsy because gluten-free diets are "extremely difficult and hard to follow".

My thoughts: So, if the biopsy comes back positive, will a gluten-free diet then be easier to follow and not so difficult?? Doubtful. She pretty much just sent all her negative energy towards me about a gluten-free diet!!! Doomed no matter what is the message I got.

I went on the internet last night and found that many people who test positive to the antibodies and have negative biopsies later develop full-blown celiac, which is probably worse than it might have been had they started a gluten-free diet when the serologies were positive.

UGH.

Typical. :(
False positives aren't very likely with blood work. The endoscope is mainly to confirm..and assess the level of villi damage.

Maybe she meant the REscope wasn't usually needed after starting the diet and redoing the blood tests show that the Celiac levels have gone down(are negative)?
I'm trying to give her the benefit of doubt here. ;)

If you have positive blood work..and no damage when scoped..congratulations! They caught it early. Stay gluten-free...even if it's hard. Doh!

#93 Sarunski

Sarunski

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

My doctor situation when I found out I had Celiac.

Background: My initial doctor who requested blood tests for the Celiac got called for duty and shipped overseas. So my mom and I had to go in and see a completely new doctor who clearly had barely read my file.

Doctor, looking at my file: Do you have a problem with wheat?

Me: Yeah...

Doctor: Oh good cause you have Celiac Sprue Disease. :blink: (This is a good thing?)

Me: *facepalm* well what does that mean?

Doctor: You can't eat anything with gluten, but I'm not an expert so you should google.

Me: Okay well am I more susceptible to any allergies or diseases?

Doctor: I just said I'm not an expert, just don't eat gluten okay? If you want to know about your problem, google it. *walks out*

So rude! Luckily, I found this site and a lot of my questions were answered :)
"The pleasure of a dream is it's a fantasy, and if it comes true, it was never really a dream"

"It's a cruel and random world, but the chaos is all so beautiful."

#94 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:50 AM

My doctor situation when I found out I had Celiac.

Background: My initial doctor who requested blood tests for the Celiac got called for duty and shipped overseas. So my mom and I had to go in and see a completely new doctor who clearly had barely read my file.

Doctor, looking at my file: Do you have a problem with wheat?

Me: Yeah...

Doctor: Oh good cause you have Celiac Sprue Disease. :blink: (This is a good thing?)

Me: *facepalm* well what does that mean?

Doctor: You can't eat anything with gluten, but I'm not an expert so you should google.

Me: Okay well am I more susceptible to any allergies or diseases?

Doctor: I just said I'm not an expert, just don't eat gluten okay? If you want to know about your problem, google it. *walks out*

So rude! Luckily, I found this site and a lot of my questions were answered :)

wow. That's pretty close to how I was told about my DX..except the Dr. was nice. She said "you have Celiac. Don't eat gluten. Look it up online." These Dr.s are announcing we have a disease that will change our lives forever and this is the way they deliver that news? :blink:
I'm glad we both found this site! :D

#95 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

wow. That's pretty close to how I was told about my DX..except the Dr. was nice. She said "you have Celiac. Don't eat gluten. Look it up online." These Dr.s are announcing we have a disease that will change our lives forever and this is the way they deliver that news? :blink:
I'm glad we both found this site! :D

Well, I have to chine in here -- tjhey know by now that that's what we're going to do anyway :lol: And they know they know nothing about it. So why make themselves look any more foolish???
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#96 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Well, I have to chine in here -- tjhey know by now that that's what we're going to do anyway :lol: And they know they know nothing about it. So why make themselves look any more foolish???

:D :D :D

#97 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

I have too many stupid dr stories so I will stick with the latest.

I went to the dr for woman issues. He said it was because I'm a little overweight. OK, whatever. We proceeded to discuss my diet -- no wheat, no this, no that. He then puts me on this specialized diet. I tell him it is only 1 ingredient different than what I'm on and I don't think it is going to work. He insists I go on it. OK. After a few weeks I'm not losing like he thinks I should so he starts belittling me for not following his diet. I keep trying to tell him I am following it and there is something else wrong. A few appointments later he dismisses me and tells me I can come back when I can give up the twinkies and ding dongs. :angry: :rolleyes: I could NOT get across to him that we do NOT eat twinkies and ding dongs. I now have a thyroid diagnosis that is just days old. If I start losing with this, I'm going to have to at least say something.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#98 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

I went to the dr for woman issues. He said it was because I'm a little overweight. OK, whatever. We proceeded to discuss my diet -- no wheat, no this, no that. He then puts me on this specialized diet. I tell him it is only 1 ingredient different than what I'm on and I don't think it is going to work. He insists I go on it. OK. After a few weeks I'm not losing like he thinks I should so he starts belittling me for not following his diet. I keep trying to tell him I am following it and there is something else wrong. A few appointments later he dismisses me and tells me I can come back when I can give up the twinkies and ding dongs. :angry: :rolleyes: I could NOT get across to him that we do NOT eat twinkies and ding dongs. I now have a thyroid diagnosis that is just days old. If I start losing with this, I'm going to have to at least say something.

:angry: :o :o

#99 carlao

carlao

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Went to the doctor for extreme fatigue, sore throat, swollen glands at base of neck. After a 2 minute exam, was prescribed antibiotics for a sinus?!? infection.

Ten days later, I went to a new doctor who immediately ordered thyroid tests and I was diagnosed with subacute thyroiditis.

I think we will go with the new doc.

#100 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Oh geez.

How is that doc not strung up by his heels in a public forum??
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#101 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

A few appointments later he dismisses me and tells me I can come back when I can give up the twinkies and ding dongs. :angry: :rolleyes: I could NOT get across to him that we do NOT eat twinkies and ding dongs. I now have a thyroid diagnosis that is just days old. If I start losing with this, I'm going to have to at least say something.

O M G and sunova.... <_<

PLEASE tell me you are going back to tell this jerkward you have a thyroid DX! Look him right in the face. This guy was not only out of line with his comments--he left you UnDXed!!!

This makes me crazy --as it is all too familiar (see my posts)--and I fear, it goes on more often than we will ever know.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#102 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

Went to the doctor for extreme fatigue, sore throat, swollen glands at base of neck. After a 2 minute exam, was prescribed antibiotics for a sinus?!? infection.

Ten days later, I went to a new doctor who immediately ordered thyroid tests and I was diagnosed with subacute thyroiditis.

I think we will go with the new doc.

Sadly, this is what they do--give antibiotics for every damn thing. I had similar experiences. I would often just toss the script away, knowing full well, it was not the answer to the problem I was having.

(this is also why we have more gut issues--unbalanced gut bacteria)

Glad you found a good doctor! ;)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#103 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

How do these people (and I use the term loosely) sleep at night and live with themselves? Seriously. Do they teach arrogance and cruelty in U.S. med schools? This pathetic story reminds me yet again how fortunate I am to have the doctor I have. Good listener, empathetic, compassionate and humble.

Man, I really feel for you. If a doctor told me that, I just know I would have a difficult time not crying right there in the office. Either that or body checking him against the wall. OK, that is a bit much, I know... ;)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#104 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

When you're bent over in pain in the doctor's office, the doctor comes in, looks at you, and asks cheerily "And how are we today!".

<_<

I think my answer alone caused her to test me for more than coeliac disease.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#105 ElitaSue

ElitaSue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

The best worst I've ever had a doctor say to me was from a Neurologist.

"Could be a brain tumor, could be a panic attack, won't know til the 2nd MRI" and then walks out of the room.

I paid $300 bucks for that (by the way, that's all he said to me) - turned out to be a lesion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: