• Please log in to reply

22 replies to this topic

birdie22

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

State University of NY at Geneseo (in Rochester, NY). Menus for all dining halls are posted online and gluten-free items are indicated with a gluten-free both on the menu and on the items at the dining halls. All dining halls have gluten-free bread, gluten-free pasta, gluten-free sushi (made authentic by sushi chefs and prepared in a separate space with gluten-free tamari, etc), and offers a wide range of prepackaged gluten-free items (brownies, cookies, crackers, Food Should Taste Good chips, etc). The staff is well trained and will change gloves, use a separate prep area and at the sandwich station even uses separate meat, toppings, etc to avoid CC. They even have a separate microwave with a giant gluten-free on it and a sign asking that it only be used for gluten-free items.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

http://www.statecoll...diners-1048333/

Really impressive work on the part of PSU to step up it's gluten free programs
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,584 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Can't add to my previous post this late but more news on Colorado State.

My son was in line to get a Subway style sandwich in the dorm cafeteria. He got his but before he left, the girl behind him asked for gluten-free. He stayed to watch and chat up the girl. ;) The counter staff changed gloves, pulled out a big purple tub. Took out of the tub a special cutting mat type thing that they laid down. Then fresh sandwich wrapping paper on it. Special bread from the bucket & fresh meats, cheeses, etc from separate bins. The girl told him they are always careful with her food & she hasn't had an issue. She also said how nice it was to meet a boy who understands Celiac. ;)

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

My daughter is planning on attending MIT. You can opt for a dorm there that doesn't have a dining hall (the only way not to be forced into paying for prepared meals) and simply prepare all of your own meals in the kitchen. There is of course a chance of CC sharing a kitchen like that but at least you know how your food was prepared.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

Michigan State has done a great job taking care of my friend's son with actual allergies. :D

I will let you know about my son's experience this summer for gluten free. Just in case a found some AWESOME gluten free pizza at Guido's Pizza! (just in case) :) I asked some students about the food. I found a friend of a Celiac student. (not bad for under 2 hours time B) ) She does have a lot of her own food, but does eat in the cafeteria.
Michigan

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

wow PSU is really stepping up! I will seriously consider this school for my son. And as a bonus my sister is 45 mts away so he will have a support system nearby.
THis is a great thread. Keep the info coming!

babyblue140

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

I attend Texas A&M University and gluten free awareness is becoming more known here. This semester they have implemented a gluten free refrigerator that contains breads and desserts and a toaster is next to it. Both are locked and you have to have the combination to get in. You can also ask for gluten-free pizza to be made. My biggest issue has been trying to order something and the workers not understanding, I just ask for the chef. Chefs are pretty well versed in gluten-free needs.

We also have Gluten Free Aggies that I'm an officer of. We're a brand new organization but its nice to network with other students with your needs.
Blood test-negative 10/11
Gluten-free since 10/11 regardless
Symptoms improved

Hazelnut allergy

Diagnosed depression-1/12
Diagnosed anxiety-4/12

Web coordinator/Membership chair of Gluten Free Aggies of Texas A&M University

kvhsports

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

I'm planning on attending Lubbock Christian University in the fall, and they are more than willing to accommodate students that are gluten-free, as well as any other food allergies/ intolerances.
-kvhsports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: