37 replies to this topic

#1 lub2bmom

lub2bmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Anyone have an experience with eating Mc Donalds Shamrock Shakes? I read somewhere that the mix for the shamrock ones did contain wheat. Although pretty much anything at Mc Donalds I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!
~6 years of being mis-diagnosed with Chronic Hives and digestive problems
~August 2011 self diagnosed as DH Celiac
~August 2011 Gluten Free
~Hive Free since September 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

at Mc Donalds I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!

McDonald's has dedicated friers, which only French Fries and Hash Browns are cooked. Nothing of a gluten nature is cooked in those friers.

Would you kindly be more specific about what you read "some where", regarding wheat in the Shamrock Shakes? It's critical for information posted here to be correct.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Always go to the manufacturer/restaurant and do not trust hearsay! I don't see any gluten ingredients on the McDonald's website.

http://www.mcdonalds...-fl-oz-cup.html

#4 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

McDonald's has dedicated friers, which only French Fries and Hash Browns are cooked. Nothing of a gluten nature is cooked in those friers.

This is NOT true. It varies from one store to another.

#5 lub2bmom

lub2bmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

I do not remember where I read it which is why i'm asking on here if anyone has any info. I've always found this site to be supportive and informative.

I disagree with Mcdonalds having dedicated friers and that they are gluten free. I am slightly offended that you imply that I would ever put information on here that is not accurate. McDonald restaurants are franchises and each one runs slightly differently.

http://www.glutenfre...luten-free.html

In regards to their french fries and hashbrowns being gluten free - I went to their website directly and it confirms on their nutrition data sheets that they are not. It states the following:

French Fries
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid
pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to
preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.
CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.

http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf

or go to http://www.mcdonalds...on_choices.html and download the PDF file (first link)

Last time I had them (french fries), I got terribly sick.

Ingredients do not always tell the whole story... Cross contamination is huge, especially for people like myself who are incredibly sensitive. Whether it be from the company that makes and processes the mix for them to the individual restaurant, cross contamination in my book huge.
~August 2011 Gluten Free

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

I do not remember where I read it which is why i'm asking on here if anyone has any info. I've always found this site to be supportive and informative.

I disagree with Mcdonalds having dedicated friers and that they are gluten free. I am slightly offended that you imply that I would ever put information on here that is not accurate. McDonald restaurants are franchises and each one runs slightly differently.

In regards to their french fries and hashbrowns being gluten free - I went to their website directly and it confirms on their nutrition data sheets that they are not. It states the following:

French Fries
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid
pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to

or go to http://www.mcdonalds...on_choices.html and download the PDF file (first link)

Ingredients do not always tell the whole story... Cross contamination is huge, especially for people like myself who are incredibly sensitive. Whether it be from the company that makes and processes the mix for them to the individual restaurant, cross contamination in my book huge.

McDonald's french fries are certainly the most discussed subject here on c.com. Perhaps you should read up. :)

Now, cross contamination at any fast food restaurant is a large concern. I will agree with that.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 lub2bmom

lub2bmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

my question is about Shamrock Shakes, not french fries. I get sick when I eat them -- that is enough for me. I was just replying to your message indicating that their french fries are gluten free and implying that i posted something that was not accurate by saying i read it somewhere. I was simply asking for support and information... regarding the shamrock shakes. Perhaps you should read up as well. ;-)

My purpose of my topic is to get information on if anyone has had a reaction to having shamrock shakes.
~August 2011 Gluten Free

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

This is a supportive site but we have to work really hard to keep misinformation off the board. When you type "I read somewhere that X contains gluten" it's sort of a red flag. There is CRAZY stuff on the Internet about gluten. My idea of support is going and finding the correct information for you since I don't ever eat McDonald's shakes. :)

The McDonald's fries have been independently tested multiple times, and the gluten from the beef flavor is not detectable because it is used early in processing and the wheat protein is well-hydrolyzed. (It's a source of MSG.) They are every bit as gluten-free as most of the specialty breads and baked goods we eat, which sometimes have detectable gluten at 5-10 ppm. If you are supersensitive YOU might react, and nobody is denying what your body tells you, but please keep in mind that the fries are safe for the majority of celiacs. There are plenty of us around here who eat them with no gluten reaction at all, me included.

Every McDonalds I've been in used dedicated fryers for the french fries and hash browns. I agree CC is always an issue when we eat out. Maybe it's CC from hamburger bun crumbs working their way around the store on employee gloves?

#9 lub2bmom

lub2bmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

skylark - that is the whole reason why i decided to ask on this website. Because there ARE crazy things out there.

And yes, i've always found this site supportive. I just feel like this is the first time that i've had replies from people where I felt like i was being attacked. No one likes to feel like that. Your reply was a much better way of wording what I believe Lisa was trying to say.
~August 2011 Gluten Free

#10 lub2bmom

lub2bmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

skylark -- and thank you for the link directly on the shamrock shakes - that is super helpful and much appreciated!
~August 2011 Gluten Free

#11 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

The replies seemed kind of snarky. :rolleyes:

The ingredient list for the Shamrock shake (from the companies wbsite) does not have any gluten ingredient listed.

Enjoy at your own risk.
Michigan

#12 lub2bmom

lub2bmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Thanks Mommida -- i love your wording of "enjoy at your own risk" -- so the truth!! :-)
~August 2011 Gluten Free

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

skylark - that is the whole reason why i decided to ask on this website. Because there ARE crazy things out there.

And yes, i've always found this site supportive. I just feel like this is the first time that i've had replies from people where I felt like i was being attacked. No one likes to feel like that. Your reply was a much better way of wording what I believe Lisa was trying to say.

Hi Lub2bmom!

There are crazy things out there---and sometimes, sadly some crazy things posted right on here :rolleyes: -- which is why we are so diligent about making sure information is accurate.

Hon, I am impartial here --just scrolling around and reading the board---and I have to say that I do not see where there is anything in this sentence--(especially since she uses the word "kindly") that is an "attack" of any kind. That is a really strong word to use and not applicable in this case. There's nothing wrong with asking someone for a citation for information. She asked politely. You provided it. :) So, it's all good. :)

It seems as if more often than not lately, any time someone asks for a citation or a source on the forum, it is perceived by some members as an "attack". It's not an attack to ask for a source of information and nothing is implied about your character just because she asked for where you read it.

Hopefully, you have received the answer you were looking for in the links Skylark has provided? :)

Best wishes to you,
IH

And honestly, I am TERRIFIED of even trying anything at Mickey Ds....CC bites me on the butt every time I try anything new and so, I am too scared. :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks Mommida -- i love your wording of "enjoy at your own risk" -- so the truth!! :-)

Isn't that always the case at McDonald's? :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone see Supersize Me?

Oh, and they are getting sued in Russia. It seems in Russia a drink has to be mostly milk to be labeled a milkshake. Go figure. ;)
http://en.rian.ru/ru.../170782453.html

#15 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

French Fries

I just wanted to point out that this is a perfect example of how to quote your sources. :)

Thanks for doing that.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: