This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds Shamrock Shakes

lub2bmom

lub2bmom Apprentice

Anyone have an experience with eating Mc Donalds Shamrock Shakes? I read somewhere that the mix for the shamrock ones did contain wheat. Although pretty much anything at Mc Donalds I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

at Mc Donalds I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!

McDonald's has dedicated friers, which only French Fries and Hash Browns are cooked. Nothing of a gluten nature is cooked in those friers.

Would you kindly be more specific about what you read "some where", regarding wheat in the Shamrock Shakes? It's critical for information posted here to be correct.

Skylark Collaborator

Always go to the manufacturer/restaurant and do not trust hearsay! I don't see any gluten ingredients on the McDonald's website.

Open Original Shared Link

StephanieL Enthusiast

McDonald's has dedicated friers, which only French Fries and Hash Browns are cooked. Nothing of a gluten nature is cooked in those friers.

This is NOT true. It varies from one store to another.

lub2bmom Apprentice

I do not remember where I read it which is why i'm asking on here if anyone has any info. I've always found this site to be supportive and informative.

I disagree with Mcdonalds having dedicated friers and that they are gluten free. I am slightly offended that you imply that I would ever put information on here that is not accurate. McDonald restaurants are franchises and each one runs slightly differently.

In regards to their french fries and hashbrowns being gluten free - I went to their website directly and it confirms on their nutrition data sheets that they are not. It states the following:

French Fries

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid

pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to

preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK.

or go to Open Original Shared Link and download the PDF file (first link)

Last time I had them (french fries), I got terribly sick.

Ingredients do not always tell the whole story... Cross contamination is huge, especially for people like myself who are incredibly sensitive. Whether it be from the company that makes and processes the mix for them to the individual restaurant, cross contamination in my book huge.

Lisa Mentor

I do not remember where I read it which is why i'm asking on here if anyone has any info. I've always found this site to be supportive and informative.

I disagree with Mcdonalds having dedicated friers and that they are gluten free. I am slightly offended that you imply that I would ever put information on here that is not accurate. McDonald restaurants are franchises and each one runs slightly differently.

In regards to their french fries and hashbrowns being gluten free - I went to their website directly and it confirms on their nutrition data sheets that they are not. It states the following:

French Fries

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid

pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to

Ingredients do not always tell the whole story... Cross contamination is huge, especially for people like myself who are incredibly sensitive. Whether it be from the company that makes and processes the mix for them to the individual restaurant, cross contamination in my book huge.

McDonald's french fries are certainly the most discussed subject here on c.com. Perhaps you should read up. :)

Now, cross contamination at any fast food restaurant is a large concern. I will agree with that.

lub2bmom Apprentice

my question is about Shamrock Shakes, not french fries. I get sick when I eat them -- that is enough for me. I was just replying to your message indicating that their french fries are gluten free and implying that i posted something that was not accurate by saying i read it somewhere. I was simply asking for support and information... regarding the shamrock shakes. Perhaps you should read up as well. ;-)

My purpose of my topic is to get information on if anyone has had a reaction to having shamrock shakes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

This is a supportive site but we have to work really hard to keep misinformation off the board. When you type "I read somewhere that X contains gluten" it's sort of a red flag. There is CRAZY stuff on the Internet about gluten. My idea of support is going and finding the correct information for you since I don't ever eat McDonald's shakes. :)

The McDonald's fries have been independently tested multiple times, and the gluten from the beef flavor is not detectable because it is used early in processing and the wheat protein is well-hydrolyzed. (It's a source of MSG.) They are every bit as gluten-free as most of the specialty breads and baked goods we eat, which sometimes have detectable gluten at 5-10 ppm. If you are supersensitive YOU might react, and nobody is denying what your body tells you, but please keep in mind that the fries are safe for the majority of celiacs. There are plenty of us around here who eat them with no gluten reaction at all, me included.

Every McDonalds I've been in used dedicated fryers for the french fries and hash browns. I agree CC is always an issue when we eat out. Maybe it's CC from hamburger bun crumbs working their way around the store on employee gloves?

lub2bmom Apprentice

skylark - that is the whole reason why i decided to ask on this website. Because there ARE crazy things out there.

And yes, i've always found this site supportive. I just feel like this is the first time that i've had replies from people where I felt like i was being attacked. No one likes to feel like that. Your reply was a much better way of wording what I believe Lisa was trying to say.

lub2bmom Apprentice

skylark -- and thank you for the link directly on the shamrock shakes - that is super helpful and much appreciated!

mommida Enthusiast

The replies seemed kind of snarky. :rolleyes:

The ingredient list for the Shamrock shake (from the companies wbsite) does not have any gluten ingredient listed.

Enjoy at your own risk.

lub2bmom Apprentice

Thanks Mommida -- i love your wording of "enjoy at your own risk" -- so the truth!! :-)

IrishHeart Veteran

skylark - that is the whole reason why i decided to ask on this website. Because there ARE crazy things out there.

And yes, i've always found this site supportive. I just feel like this is the first time that i've had replies from people where I felt like i was being attacked. No one likes to feel like that. Your reply was a much better way of wording what I believe Lisa was trying to say.

Hi Lub2bmom!

There are crazy things out there---and sometimes, sadly some crazy things posted right on here :rolleyes: -- which is why we are so diligent about making sure information is accurate.

Hon, I am impartial here --just scrolling around and reading the board---and I have to say that I do not see where there is anything in this sentence--(especially since she uses the word "kindly") that is an "attack" of any kind. That is a really strong word to use and not applicable in this case. There's nothing wrong with asking someone for a citation for information. She asked politely. You provided it. :) So, it's all good. :)

It seems as if more often than not lately, any time someone asks for a citation or a source on the forum, it is perceived by some members as an "attack". It's not an attack to ask for a source of information and nothing is implied about your character just because she asked for where you read it.

Hopefully, you have received the answer you were looking for in the links Skylark has provided? :)

Best wishes to you,

IH

And honestly, I am TERRIFIED of even trying anything at Mickey Ds....CC bites me on the butt every time I try anything new and so, I am too scared. :(

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks Mommida -- i love your wording of "enjoy at your own risk" -- so the truth!! :-)

Isn't that always the case at McDonald's? :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone see Supersize Me?

Oh, and they are getting sued in Russia. It seems in Russia a drink has to be mostly milk to be labeled a milkshake. Go figure. ;)

Jestgar Rising Star

French Fries

I just wanted to point out that this is a perfect example of how to quote your sources. :)

Thanks for doing that.

Jestgar Rising Star

Anyone have an experience with eating Mc Donalds Shamrock Shakes? I read somewhere that the mix for the shamrock ones did contain wheat.

best I could do: Open Original Shared Link. but they don't say where they got the ingredients list from so there's no way to check it.

lub2bmom Apprentice

Thanks Everyone!

I just want to note: a "feeling of attacked" is different then saying you "were attacked". You cannot dispute someone's feelings. That is the problem with email, blogs, forums where tone is implied through the eyes of the reader. It was not the fact that someone asked for where i read something. It was the fact that it was followed by something i took as implying i was stating something that was implied to be factual. I have no problem to kindly clarify that I did not have a source of where i had read that ... or even to explain that it was quite some time ago... prior to joining this site. That is where my feeling of being attacked stemmed from. And I replied with factual data that I found... weirdly, not relating to my question at all. The reply to that was then followed by with "perhaps you should read up.". I do find it sad that we have spent so much time disputing something about french fries when my question was solely about milkshakes. I do find skylarks reply on why the Mc D's website has the data it has and how it relates to the level of gluten and how it affects the average person with a gluten allergy. That was very valuable and great information to know. I, however, like was referenced am unfortunately super sensitive to gluten, so for me... french fries from Mc D's is a no-no.

I do appreciate all the links and data that people did find for me. That is what make this site unique with the ability to pool everyone's research and then make it available for others to read when doing research as well. I always find this site to be a source and wealth of knowledge and opinions of which I value.

Yes, you probably will always find someone feeling defensive to replies in this specific forum as your working with people finding information about products they once loved or stating something they believe is true. I am one that loves it when people do show the links where they found their data. It's never easy to hear negative things about items you once loved. Sort of the "it can't be true" syndrome.

Lisa Mentor

There is no need to escalate this discussion, but I will clarify a couple of points.

In your first post you mentioned McDonald's french fries,

I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!

I merely clarified the fact that McDonald's has a policy not to share fryers. McDonald's is the most discussed topic here. There is a great deal (no tremendous amount) of information available for those who are interested.

I asked that you "kindly" cite your source of information. I fail to see how anyone could perceive that as an "attack". And, I in no way implied that your information was incorrect, but rather, I did stress the need for accuracy. No personal attack there either.

I AM sorry you felted "attacked", my intention clearly, was not an attack. :)

Skylark Collaborator

Lisa, your first post struck me oddly too. I think I figured out why. You know how when someone is irritated they sometimes use exaggerated politeness? "Would you be so kind as to leave me the hell alone???" My British friend commented on this, how odd he finds it that Americans will use the word "please" aggressively. That "would you kindly be more specific" came across as irritation to me.

Please don't take this as escalation. I don't mean it as such at all. I think it is actually a little funny that you were being super-polite and we read it all wrong. :)

Jestgar Rising Star

I think it is actually a little funny that you were being super-polite and we read it all wrong. :)

Lisa really is super-polite. :blink: :blink:

Skylark Collaborator

Lisa really is super-polite. :blink: :blink:

Not me. I'm a b*tch. :lol:

Jestgar Rising Star

Not me. I'm a b*tch. :lol:

At least we can easily interpret you. ;):lol: :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

That "would you kindly be more specific" came across as irritation to me.

Please don't take this as escalation. I don't mean it as such at all. I think it is actually a little funny that you were being super-polite and we read it all wrong. :)

Wow. Really? Gee, I use the word "kindly" all the time and never thought anyone would misinterpret it as anything but politeness.

:blink: (picture Irish scratching her head ) :D

I do have to wonder how much of it is lost in translation in the written form--you know, we cannot hear inflection or see someone's smiling face? Because honestly, if we are getting ourselves in a huff over the word "kindly", what does outright snarky rudeness sound like? :unsure: um, nope wait, I have seen that on some threads here and it ain't pretty. <_<

I know Lisa and I find her to be very polite. :) ...

kareng Grand Master

Back to the shakes.....

I guess I always thought they were just the vanilla ones with green food coloring. I always wished they would be mint flavored.

The McD's website has the ingredients for the "Shamrock syrup" so I guess it has its own flavor.

Lisa Mentor

Back to the shakes.....

I guess I always thought they were just the vanilla ones with green food coloring. I always wished they would be mint flavored.

I think they need to add some Creme de Menthe, just imagine their increased revenue and happy employees after lunch. Grasshoppers for all! :lol:

Archived