This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds Shamrock Shakes

lub2bmom

IrishHeart Veteran

I think they need to add some Creme de Menthe, just imagine their increased revenue and happy employees after lunch. Grasshoppers for all! :lol:

now yer talkin !! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Here's our English grammar lesson of the day, what I found on a google of "kindly""

Open Original Shared Link

"Use of "kindly request you" vs. "request you to kindly"?"

Hello Dr. Grammar,

At the end of a (business) letter, which of the two statements below would you consider grammatically correct?

"I request you to kindly grant approval for the project."

OR

"I kindly request you to grant approval for the project."

Are there any contexts where one would be considered better than the other? Or are they both accepted in general usage these days?

Thanks!

Well, both forms work, and I have seen them used in more general contexts. They are both polite ways of making a request.

However, there is a grammatical distinction which is worth considering in your choice of form;

"I kindly request" indicates that you are politely requesting - asking in a kind way.

"to kindly grant approval" indicates that the person would be kind if they granted approval

Open Original Shared Link

English term or phrase: please versus kindly

Please and Kindly both are used for politeness. I want to know whether these are interchangeable. Does Kindly display more politeness than Please? I'd be thankful if you could advise me in respect of shades of usages of these words. Thank you.

Rani

English translation:"Kindly" is gentler

Explanation:

I think "kindly" can be gentler than "please" in certain cases. "Please" could be used rathar curtly in verbal speech, while it is hard to imagine "kindly" used that way:

"Would you PLEASE turn the volume down a bit?"

"Would you kindly turn the volume down a bit?"

Imagine the "please" option, used verbally with emphasis on the PLEASE and a rather annoyed tone of voice.

In contrast, I cannot imagine "kindly" used in that same tone of voice.

Would you PLEASE take your dirty boots off before you come in the house?!

Honey, would you kindly remember to take off your dirty boots before you come in, pretty, please? Thank you, sweetheart.

And this from Wiktionary: (a definition of kindly)

(US) Please; used to make a polite request.

Kindly refrain from walking on the grass.

Kindly move your car out of the front yard.

I think lulb2bmum might be reacting to this use of 'kindly', in which it indicates you have done (or intend to do) something you should not, which is the sense in which my mother would often use it, as in "Young lady, would you kindly leave the room and close the door behind you" In this latter case there was a definite sense of opprobrium, not kindness, which was not what Lisa was intending in her usage at all. Her usage was the former more generally accepted usage, I am sure. In my mother's usage, please would have been kinder. :rolleyes: (especially if she omitted the "young lady" part :lol: )

So let's accept that kindly has its original kind meaning, as it is more accepted.:)

kareng Grand Master

Oh please! Can we kindly stop this? It's unkindly giving my head an unpleasing headache.

I really want to know, does anyone have good luck with these shakes? I will be traveling with high school students and I ' m sure we will stop at Mc Donald's & I would love to get a shake. Even one full of artificial colors and corn syrup!

Darn210 Enthusiast

If you're traveling with high school students, then you really do need the creme de menthe ones.

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, gee whiz, Shroomie-- I could have spared you all

that research work and provided a grammar lesson on the use of

"kindly" if you wanted one.

:unsure:

I wuz an Englush Professah ya know.

(IH feels sad...... and a bit under-utilized....)

:lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

If you're traveling with high school students, then you really do need the creme de menthe ones.

geez, J--I was gonna say that!!!...

damn, I am not fast enough tonight... and I should just retire for the evening.

psawyer Proficient

Anyone have an experience with eating Mc Donalds Shamrock Shakes? I read somewhere that the mix for the shamrock ones did contain wheat. Although pretty much anything at Mc Donalds I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!

McDonald's has dedicated friers, which only French Fries and Hash Browns are cooked. Nothing of a gluten nature is cooked in those friers. ... It's critical for information posted here to be correct.

This is NOT true. It varies from one store to another.

Every McDonalds I've been in used dedicated fryers for the french fries and hash browns.

In your first post you mentioned McDonald's french fries,I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey! I merely clarified the fact that McDonald's has a policy not to share fryers

I am going to respond the fryer issue, which was raised by the first post and is thus on topic.

McDonald's are very protective of their brand. They require that the fries taste the same no matter where you buy them. They are a signature product. For that reason, it is expressly prohibited to fry anything other than the designated potato products in that fryer. Doing so could taint the flavor of the fries. McDonald's will simply not allow that. An employee would be in violation of their employment agreement, and might be given one more chance if they are no longer on probation. Still on probation means gone! A franchisee would not likely be given any second chance. It is about protecting the brand, and there is no slack. The potato fryers MUST be dedicated to potatoes and nothing else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast
. An employee would be in violation of their employment agreement, and might be given one more chance if they are no longer on probation. Still on probation means gone!

You think this doesn't happen? I have been told not to trust the "dedicated" frier at several different locations.

Also, I don't really understand why anyone would eat them when they list wheat in the fries and hash browns. If gluten-free is the cash cow they think it is, they would be all over pulling "wheat" to up revenue.

Lisa Mentor

You think this doesn't happen? I have been told not to trust the "dedicated" frier at several different locations.

Also, I don't really understand why anyone would eat them when they list wheat in the fries and hash browns. If gluten-free is the cash cow they think it is, they would be all over pulling "wheat" to up revenue.

And that's why we generally state that it's a personal choice.

I do agree that it might not be a big thing to remove wheat from the ingredients all together. Time will tell.

My daughter graduated from high school in 1999. It wasn't too long ago that I cleaned out her closet (a storage closet in her room). There, in one of the LLBean book sacks were abandoned french fries. They were as if I had ordered them today...no break down at all....that is just plain yuck.

Skylark Collaborator

The hydrolyzed wheat protein is a legal way to get around putting MSG on the fries. I'd guess there are more people worried about MSG than gluten. Besides, the fries tested gluten-free when University of Nebraska decided to independently test them, which is better than can be said for a lot of supposedly gluten-free foods. Once congress passes a 20 ppm regulation, McDonald's will probably start labeling them gluten-free.

I can still understand why some folks are not comfortable eating them. I do it in a pinch, like when I'm traveling and don't have many options.

mushroom Proficient

The hydrolyzed wheat protein is a legal way to get around putting MSG on the fries.

Funney how your instincts can be right, for sometimes the wrong reasons. I knew there was a reason why I avoided hyrolyzed wheat protein even when told it was safe... :D Didn't know it was MSG

Lisa Mentor

Funney how your instincts can be right, for sometimes the wrong reasons. I knew there was a reason why I avoided hyrolyzed wheat protein even when told it was safe... :D Didn't know it was MSG

I would like to see new information, or more information, on Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein...Anyone want to jump into a new thread? :)

mushroom Proficient

I would like to see new information, or more information, on Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein...Anyone want to jump into a new thread? :)

Done!

• 4 years later...
McRunner Newbie
On 2/4/2012 at 3:13 PM, mommida said:

The replies seemed kind of snarky. :rolleyes:

The ingredient list for the Shamrock shake (from the companies wbsite) does not have any gluten ingredient listed.

Enjoy at your own risk.

Yeah, if you make them yourself, you should be fine! Just wanted to put it out there that I had a Shamrock Shake today and I've had the worst breakout of hives that I've had in years. In case you want to play it safe, here's the recipe I use for my own shakes (play around with the measurements as you please to make it just right) Open Original Shared Link 

Archived