• Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

#16 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Anyone have an experience with eating Mc Donalds Shamrock Shakes? I read somewhere that the mix for the shamrock ones did contain wheat.

best I could do: wiki shakes. but they don't say where they got the ingredients list from so there's no way to check it.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lub2bmom

lub2bmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Everyone!

I just want to note: a "feeling of attacked" is different then saying you "were attacked". You cannot dispute someone's feelings. That is the problem with email, blogs, forums where tone is implied through the eyes of the reader. It was not the fact that someone asked for where i read something. It was the fact that it was followed by something i took as implying i was stating something that was implied to be factual. I have no problem to kindly clarify that I did not have a source of where i had read that ... or even to explain that it was quite some time ago... prior to joining this site. That is where my feeling of being attacked stemmed from. And I replied with factual data that I found... weirdly, not relating to my question at all. The reply to that was then followed by with "perhaps you should read up.". I do find it sad that we have spent so much time disputing something about french fries when my question was solely about milkshakes. I do find skylarks reply on why the Mc D's website has the data it has and how it relates to the level of gluten and how it affects the average person with a gluten allergy. That was very valuable and great information to know. I, however, like was referenced am unfortunately super sensitive to gluten, so for me... french fries from Mc D's is a no-no.

I do appreciate all the links and data that people did find for me. That is what make this site unique with the ability to pool everyone's research and then make it available for others to read when doing research as well. I always find this site to be a source and wealth of knowledge and opinions of which I value.

Yes, you probably will always find someone feeling defensive to replies in this specific forum as your working with people finding information about products they once loved or stating something they believe is true. I am one that loves it when people do show the links where they found their data. It's never easy to hear negative things about items you once loved. Sort of the "it can't be true" syndrome.
~6 years of being mis-diagnosed with Chronic Hives and digestive problems
~August 2011 self diagnosed as DH Celiac
~August 2011 Gluten Free
~Hive Free since September 2011

#18 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

There is no need to escalate this discussion, but I will clarify a couple of points.

In your first post you mentioned McDonald's french fries,
I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!

I merely clarified the fact that McDonald's has a policy not to share fryers. McDonald's is the most discussed topic here. There is a great deal (no tremendous amount) of information available for those who are interested.

I asked that you "kindly" cite your source of information. I fail to see how anyone could perceive that as an "attack". And, I in no way implied that your information was incorrect, but rather, I did stress the need for accuracy. No personal attack there either.

I AM sorry you felted "attacked", my intention clearly, was not an attack. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#19 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Lisa, your first post struck me oddly too. I think I figured out why. You know how when someone is irritated they sometimes use exaggerated politeness? "Would you be so kind as to leave me the hell alone???" My British friend commented on this, how odd he finds it that Americans will use the word "please" aggressively. That "would you kindly be more specific" came across as irritation to me.

Please don't take this as escalation. I don't mean it as such at all. I think it is actually a little funny that you were being super-polite and we read it all wrong. :)

#20 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

I think it is actually a little funny that you were being super-polite and we read it all wrong. :)

Lisa really is super-polite. :blink: :blink:
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#21 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Lisa really is super-polite. :blink: :blink:

Not me. I'm a b*tch. :lol:

#22 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Not me. I'm a b*tch. :lol:

At least we can easily interpret you. ;) :lol: :lol:
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

That "would you kindly be more specific" came across as irritation to me.

Please don't take this as escalation. I don't mean it as such at all. I think it is actually a little funny that you were being super-polite and we read it all wrong. :)

Wow. Really? Gee, I use the word "kindly" all the time and never thought anyone would misinterpret it as anything but politeness.

:blink: (picture Irish scratching her head ) :D

I do have to wonder how much of it is lost in translation in the written form--you know, we cannot hear inflection or see someone's smiling face? Because honestly, if we are getting ourselves in a huff over the word "kindly", what does outright snarky rudeness sound like? :unsure: um, nope wait, I have seen that on some threads here and it ain't pretty. <_<

I know Lisa and I find her to be very polite. :) ...

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Back to the shakes.....

I guess I always thought they were just the vanilla ones with green food coloring. I always wished they would be mint flavored.

The McD's website has the ingredients for the "Shamrock syrup" so I guess it has its own flavor.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Back to the shakes.....

I guess I always thought they were just the vanilla ones with green food coloring. I always wished they would be mint flavored.

I think they need to add some Creme de Menthe, just imagine their increased revenue and happy employees after lunch. Grasshoppers for all! :lol:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think they need to add some Creme de Menthe, just imagine their increased revenue and happy employees after lunch. Grasshoppers for all! :lol:

now yer talkin !! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#27 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Here's our English grammar lesson of the day, what I found on a google of "kindly""

http://forum.churchillhouse.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=111&topic_id=45

"Use of "kindly request you" vs. "request you to kindly"?"

Hello Dr. Grammar,

At the end of a (business) letter, which of the two statements below would you consider grammatically correct?

"I request you to kindly grant approval for the project."

OR

"I kindly request you to grant approval for the project."

Are there any contexts where one would be considered better than the other? Or are they both accepted in general usage these days?

Thanks!

Well, both forms work, and I have seen them used in more general contexts. They are both polite ways of making a request.
However, there is a grammatical distinction which is worth considering in your choice of form;

"I kindly request" indicates that you are politely requesting - asking in a kind way.

"to kindly grant approval" indicates that the person would be kind if they granted approval

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/poetry_literature/743620-please_versus_kindly.html

English term or phrase: please versus kindly
Please and Kindly both are used for politeness. I want to know whether these are interchangeable. Does Kindly display more politeness than Please? I'd be thankful if you could advise me in respect of shades of usages of these words. Thank you.

Rani
English translation:"Kindly" is gentler
Explanation:
I think "kindly" can be gentler than "please" in certain cases. "Please" could be used rathar curtly in verbal speech, while it is hard to imagine "kindly" used that way:

"Would you PLEASE turn the volume down a bit?"
"Would you kindly turn the volume down a bit?"

Imagine the "please" option, used verbally with emphasis on the PLEASE and a rather annoyed tone of voice.

In contrast, I cannot imagine "kindly" used in that same tone of voice.

Would you PLEASE take your dirty boots off before you come in the house?!
Honey, would you kindly remember to take off your dirty boots before you come in, pretty, please? Thank you, sweetheart.

And this from Wiktionary: (a definition of kindly)

(US) Please; used to make a polite request.

Kindly refrain from walking on the grass.
Kindly move your car out of the front yard.

I think lulb2bmum might be reacting to this use of 'kindly', in which it indicates you have done (or intend to do) something you should not, which is the sense in which my mother would often use it, as in "Young lady, would you kindly leave the room and close the door behind you" In this latter case there was a definite sense of opprobrium, not kindness, which was not what Lisa was intending in her usage at all. Her usage was the former more generally accepted usage, I am sure. In my mother's usage, please would have been kinder. :rolleyes: (especially if she omitted the "young lady" part :lol: )

So let's accept that kindly has its original kind meaning, as it is more accepted.:)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

Oh please! Can we kindly stop this? It's unkindly giving my head an unpleasing headache.

I really want to know, does anyone have good luck with these shakes? I will be traveling with high school students and I ' m sure we will stop at Mc Donald's & I would love to get a shake. Even one full of artificial colors and corn syrup!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#29 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

If you're traveling with high school students, then you really do need the creme de menthe ones.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#30 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Well, gee whiz, Shroomie-- I could have spared you all

that research work and provided a grammar lesson on the use of

"kindly" if you wanted one.

:unsure:

I wuz an Englush Professah ya know.

(IH feels sad...... and a bit under-utilized....)

:lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: