37 replies to this topic

#31 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

If you're traveling with high school students, then you really do need the creme de menthe ones.

geez, J--I was gonna say that!!!...

damn, I am not fast enough tonight... and I should just retire for the evening.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

Anyone have an experience with eating Mc Donalds Shamrock Shakes? I read somewhere that the mix for the shamrock ones did contain wheat. Although pretty much anything at Mc Donalds I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey!

McDonald's has dedicated friers, which only French Fries and Hash Browns are cooked. Nothing of a gluten nature is cooked in those friers. ... It's critical for information posted here to be correct.

This is NOT true. It varies from one store to another.

Every McDonalds I've been in used dedicated fryers for the french fries and hash browns.

In your first post you mentioned McDonald's french fries,I usually stay away from as even their fries depending on what other things they fried that day in the oil they use causes me to get sick and hivey! I merely clarified the fact that McDonald's has a policy not to share fryers

I am going to respond the fryer issue, which was raised by the first post and is thus on topic.

McDonald's are very protective of their brand. They require that the fries taste the same no matter where you buy them. They are a signature product. For that reason, it is expressly prohibited to fry anything other than the designated potato products in that fryer. Doing so could taint the flavor of the fries. McDonald's will simply not allow that. An employee would be in violation of their employment agreement, and might be given one more chance if they are no longer on probation. Still on probation means gone! A franchisee would not likely be given any second chance. It is about protecting the brand, and there is no slack. The potato fryers MUST be dedicated to potatoes and nothing else.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

. An employee would be in violation of their employment agreement, and might be given one more chance if they are no longer on probation. Still on probation means gone!

You think this doesn't happen? I have been told not to trust the "dedicated" frier at several different locations.

Also, I don't really understand why anyone would eat them when they list wheat in the fries and hash browns. If gluten-free is the cash cow they think it is, they would be all over pulling "wheat" to up revenue.

#34 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

You think this doesn't happen? I have been told not to trust the "dedicated" frier at several different locations.

Also, I don't really understand why anyone would eat them when they list wheat in the fries and hash browns. If gluten-free is the cash cow they think it is, they would be all over pulling "wheat" to up revenue.

And that's why we generally state that it's a personal choice.

I do agree that it might not be a big thing to remove wheat from the ingredients all together. Time will tell.

My daughter graduated from high school in 1999. It wasn't too long ago that I cleaned out her closet (a storage closet in her room). There, in one of the LLBean book sacks were abandoned french fries. They were as if I had ordered them today...no break down at all....that is just plain yuck.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#35 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

The hydrolyzed wheat protein is a legal way to get around putting MSG on the fries. I'd guess there are more people worried about MSG than gluten. Besides, the fries tested gluten-free when University of Nebraska decided to independently test them, which is better than can be said for a lot of supposedly gluten-free foods. Once congress passes a 20 ppm regulation, McDonald's will probably start labeling them gluten-free.

I can still understand why some folks are not comfortable eating them. I do it in a pinch, like when I'm traveling and don't have many options.

#36 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

The hydrolyzed wheat protein is a legal way to get around putting MSG on the fries.

Funney how your instincts can be right, for sometimes the wrong reasons. I knew there was a reason why I avoided hyrolyzed wheat protein even when told it was safe... :D Didn't know it was MSG
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#37 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Funney how your instincts can be right, for sometimes the wrong reasons. I knew there was a reason why I avoided hyrolyzed wheat protein even when told it was safe... :D Didn't know it was MSG

I would like to see new information, or more information, on Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein...Anyone want to jump into a new thread? :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#38 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

I would like to see new information, or more information, on Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein...Anyone want to jump into a new thread? :)

Done!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009