This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does It Ever Get Easier?

livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

Because it seems to be getting harder! The first few months of being gluten free I felt so incredible I thought nothing could bring me down. The last few months have been one case of accidental glutening after another. As soon as I start to recover from one episode I get knocke down with another. It's really taking a toll on my emotional well being. I think that maybe I have gotten too brave? I used to vigilantly research anything before I put it in my mouth. Lately I've been more inclined to just scan the ingredients list and give it a go. Apparently this is not good enough! I decided today to go back on the original diet from the beginning with no processed foods for a couple months to see if I can get back on my feet again. I am feeling incredibly discouraged! I really LIKE processed crap and convenient foods in a wrapper. I'm getting married in a few months and we have a big trip for the bachelorette party and an even bigger one for the honeymoon. I am so afraid that this amazing time in my life will continue to be ruined by this stupid thing called gluten!! Does it EVER get better?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I hate to tell you this, but processed crap just doesn't work at all for me. I have to eat whole food to have a hope of feeling decent. If it has an ingredients list to begin with, I generally find it's a bad idea. For me life got better when I learned to cook in batches and use my freezer a lot more. Cooking is becoming second-nature now and processed food doesn't taste so good any more.

srall Contributor

I agree 100% with Skylark. I can barely stand to eat out anymore because my food is so good. It took awhile though. My diet has to be very clean and balanced in order to feel well. I think the big take away lesson in all of this learning to be gluten free for me is that NOBODY should be eating processed foods. Gluten free or not. Your taste buds will adjust. I promise. People feel sorry for me for "having" to drink a green drink every day, but it's really my favorite part of all that I eat. You'll get there.

Takala Enthusiast

It would be wise for the potential spouse-to-be to be very, very careful about not cross contaminating you.

mommida Enthusiast

Yes, it gets better! :)

You learn how to manage your diet, and what works for you. it takes some time though. Remember you are healing right now too. ;)

Keep a food journal to make sure it isn't some other food intolerance adding to the mix. :unsure:

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! :D

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

My spouse to be is AMAZING! He very rarely eats anything with gluten at all and if he does he let's me know sand refuses to kiss me until he cleans up. We have cut 250 people off of our wedding guest list in order to be able to afford a gluten free dinner and cake. I don't want to take any chances. I felt so much better before I adds packaged foods back in so today we made a household list of things that are whole and natural that we both like. He said he'd rather eat chicken and rice every day for the rest of his life than me be sick so I'm definitely a lucky girl :)

Katrala Contributor

Processed foods make most people feel like crap. Even if they don't know it.

I eat processed foods and I'm aware that I would likely feel better if I didn't. However, I rarely eat fast food and the one time I had something from a place after about a year without, I was surprised at how gross I felt.

It may not be a gluten thing that's getting you - just merely a "not eating healthy" thing.

I believe there are people that think they have a problem with gluten when, in fact, when they started the gluten-free diet they started eating whole foods and felt so much better they assumed it was gluten when it was simply going from eating crap to eating real food. (Before people start yelling at me - no, I don't think it's everyone, but I do think those people exist. If thinking they have a problem with gluten makes them eat healthier overall and feel better, then more power to them.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived