This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Updated Info... Having Difficulty With Broths, Soups Etc.?

elizabethh

elizabethh Newbie

Okay so I need some updated information because I keep finding outdated stuff.

I'm like the most anal person ever about what I eat since I'm supersensitive, and I'm very hesitant to trust things that say gluten free as I've gotten burned from CC, and I know I absolutely cannot have Amy's, Bob's Red Mill, Pamela's etc. and almost nooo mainstream products claiming to be gluten free. Well, the ONE time I don't check something 10x before eating it and research the company, I get sick. It was those stupid Food For Life brown rice tortillas, which I found people talking about on these forums and realized that THAT'S why I'd been feeling great and suddenly started having all these crappy symptoms and feeling like I was dying for a few weeks. I'd been going through packs of those like crazy. Just my luck. So now I'm trying to recover, and once I get glutened I'm on my death bed for weeks... I am starving and I look like a skeleton, and I need food. I saw a lot of good things on mccormick bouillon cubes and wondered why I cannot find them anywhere, then saw on their site that they were discontinued...

So basically I need things to eat while sick and trying to heal, and I would like soup type stuff because I can't take anymore onion and garlic water ugh. Anyone know of good broths and things that have NO possibility of CC that could make me feel a little better? Or anything at all? I keep finding old information and topics from years ago.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

If you are that sensitive (I know that Pamela's is a dedicated facility) then perhaps you should make your own broth.

I have heard that the Food for Life tortillas had problems. If you've been eating a lot of these, then your reactions to all the other foods may actually be an ongoing reaction from the tortillas. Just a theory.

kareng Grand Master

I have moved this over to the Super sensitive thread because you are having problems with certified gluten free products that work for most Celiacs. Maybe one of the more sensitive people can help you better.

Hope that helps you get something to eat! :)

Jestgar Rising Star

I agree with what Janet said. Making your own food is not that difficult, and most people that have issues with processed food (for whatever reason) find themselves a lot happier with food made from, well, food.

elizabethh Newbie

Thank you, I do usually try to make a lot of my own things but right now im so weak i cant even get out of bed and you can literally see every one of my bones. I feel like I'm dying, and I really need something fast because it's to the point where it feels like it's an emergency and I need something ASAP. My family is freaked out because I look like a skeleton and I can't go anywhere or do anything, I just really am desperate for help at this point. I need something I can eat that is fast so I don't starve to death because I already am starting to.

Lisa Mentor

Thank you, I do usually try to make a lot of my own things but right now im so weak i cant even get out of bed and you can literally see every one of my bones. I feel like I'm dying, and I really need something fast because it's to the point where it feels like it's an emergency and I need something ASAP. My family is freaked out because I look like a skeleton and I can't go anywhere or do anything, I just really am desperate for help at this point. I need something I can eat that is fast so I don't starve to death because I already am starting to.

Maybe your family members or close friends could make you some home made soup (in a safe environment). Are they able to help out?

elizabethh Newbie

Maybe your family members or close friends could make you some home made soup (in a safe environment). Are they able to help out?

My mom just left to the store with a list of things, I honestly can't find anything helpful online so idk what to do, I want soup but I haven't found a 100% safe broth and the stores in my city dont sell just legit plain chicken it always has broth and junk added to it so I can't make my own broth out of anything other than just onion and potato. I'm having her get some celery and carrots, and some schar bread so I at least have something. I can't live off of tea and bananas forever, I lose weight very rapidly because my metabolism is so high and it makes me really weak. This sucks so much. I really wish I hadn't eaten those stupid tortillas. I can't help but bawl my eyes out because I feel so betrayed by my own body and by these stores who sell "gluten free" safe items omg.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I'm sorry to hear you're so sick. I refuse to purchase anything from Food For Life. I don't trust them.

If your mom can find Foster Farms chicken, a common brand around here, it's not injected with plumping solution. I've actually not run across gluten in any poultry plumping solution - they would have to declare wheat on the label. It's usually just saltwater or sodium phosphate solution. Do you react to it?

I make broth from beef bones all the time too, or oxtail. Roast in the oven at 400F for an hour, dump in the crockpot or stewpot. I can't imagine how beef bones could possibly be injected if it's a concern.

You also might look into Pacific Natural Foods brand soup and broth. It's marked gluten-free and works for me. I'm not super-sensitive so you would have to contact them and see whether their testing and production is safe enough for you.

Open Original Shared Link

AVR1962 Collaborator

Elizabeth, sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. I hope your mom was able to find you some food you can eat. I have had a real hard time too, my stomach was just not well for a long long time and I still have a lapse where it seems I am starting all over again so I understand what you are saying, especially when all you want is soup. I know you are weak right now but hopefully someone can help you out. When I get like this, I boil up a chicken and I use that broth for just about anything and everything and yes, soupd does work but I don't buy any packaged/canned/frozen foods that are processed, too much risk.

Can you eat avocados? I practially lived off them, potatoes and bananas for awhile. Broth with rice cooked down is very good. If your stomach is tolerating meat, try to use some of that chicken in your soups. Load it with veggies your body so needs right now.

Sounds like you need to try and gain some weight and as bad as they are for you in so many ways, there were times my stomach would just feel icky and I would eat plain potato chips and that would help settle my stomach. Some have trouble because of the oil but the plain chips replaced the crackers for me.

Stay away from the gluten-free baked goods for now. You need the calories but your system sounds like it needs more repair at this point and may not be able to tolerate some of the food additive that are in gluten-free baked goods. Can you drink Ensure?

Takala Enthusiast

You can make broth from a tablespoon of Coconut aminos added to a cup of water. Add some extra virgin olive oil for the fat.

You can also make soup base from coconut milk. Thai style, you add some fresh squeezed lime juice, but you can also make "cream of" soup with this, it's very versatile. And high calorie.

And canned pumpkin makes a great vegetable broth. You can add peanut butter or almond butter or almond meal to it (grind your own nuts in a blender to get nut meals, fast and easy) with some hot spices and make a really great soup. Pumpkin is also great in homemade chile, with beans and tomatoes and beef.

elizabethh Newbie

I'm sorry to hear you're so sick. I refuse to purchase anything from Food For Life. I don't trust them.

Thank you :( I'm so irritated I didn't check into it like I normally do, I hadn't known what a crappy company they are, how pathetic. :( It seems the only brands I can trust are glutino, schar, and enjoy life. I also live off of fruity pebbles snacks and envirokids bars and those don't bother me either, same with Larabars as far as I know. I have a really hard time finding meats that I know are safe, which is funny because just plain meat shouldn't be something to worry about, I just live off of tuna and peanut butter for protein, because it seems all the meat I find has stuff added to it or doesn't say what's in it so idk what to trust because I have to know for sure. Ahh I actually did get the pacific natural broth but after triple checking on this forum saw some people saying they react, and someone said that a bunch of people in a support group react and all refuse to eat it so that's all I needed. I'm like the canary in the mine, if even someone out there has a reaction chances are I'm going to as well. Blahh. :(

Elizabeth, sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. I hope your mom was able to find you some food you can eat. I have had a real hard time too, my stomach was just not well for a long long time and I still have a lapse where it seems I am starting all over again so I understand what you are saying, especially when all you want is soup. I know you are weak right now but hopefully someone can help you out. When I get like this, I boil up a chicken and I use that broth for just about anything and everything and yes, soupd does work but I don't buy any packaged/canned/frozen foods that are processed, too much risk.

Thanks! Ahh I know how that goes, it sounds like we are similar :( And after reading your about me I had the same thing, a TON of health problems but never the biopsy, and had the blood tests months after going gluten free but the difference without gluten is like day and night, that's the only thing that makes sense and fits perfectly. It's a defeating feeling, it sucks soo much! Thank you for all the advice, I will definitely have to try those things. How do you get the chicken, how is it packaged and are there certain brands or something that are safe? The only ones I can find here are in the frozen section and they say they have broth added so I don't trust it, but I haven't checked every store in my city. The avocados are a good idea, I make this guacamole I LOVE but I don't make it often, I do know the avocados would be good for the nutrition though so I should do that. Yes actually when I was first healing and first started my gluten free diet I used to drink ensure every day. For some reason I could only drink small amounts of it because it would make me nauseas, but then again I had to force feed myself everything I ate and I made myself eat every hour regardless of whether or not I was hungry, and that helped me heal pretty well, I think. Maybe I should just try the initial healing routine all over again. I've been eating bananas and small fruits here and there and living off of peppermint and ginger tea, and last night I was able to have some rice that actually made my stomach feel AMAZING and it was wonderful. Woke up feeling like crap again but now I'm better than yesterday already and eating a little more. Getting glutened sucks so much it seriously feels like your whole life stops and you can't do anything! :(

You can make broth from a tablespoon of Coconut aminos added to a cup of water. Add some extra virgin olive oil for the fat.

You can also make soup base from coconut milk. Thai style, you add some fresh squeezed lime juice, but you can also make "cream of" soup with this, it's very versatile. And high calorie.

And canned pumpkin makes a great vegetable broth. You can add peanut butter or almond butter or almond meal to it (grind your own nuts in a blender to get nut meals, fast and easy) with some hot spices and make a really great soup. Pumpkin is also great in homemade chile, with beans and tomatoes and beef.

Thanks a lot for the advice, that is interesting. I actually never thought about trying anything like that, I have to try it for sure. And as far as the pumpkin goes I love pumpkin so I'm sure that would both do my body some good and be delicious too! I'll try some of these things, today I'm finally starting to get that "healing" feeling in my gut and I know I'll be able to eat more and more. Are there specific nut brands or brands of almond butter that are safe and good? I've wanted to use nuts a lot but could never find straight answers everywhere, I found out blue diamond has CC and could not find anything on fisher brand.

elizabethh Newbie

Also, I am wondering about making a big bowl of mixed cut up veggies for the next day or 2 to snack on, but was wondering if that may be harsh on my system since sometimes veggies like lettuce carrots celery etc. are said to be slightly more difficult to digest? Should I avoid that and stick with the fruit or do you think maybe it would be fine? Any certain fruits or veggies/combinations anyone knows to be good when you're in the healing process? I love all fruits and vegetables and am not picky, I'm just assuming some are probably a better idea than others?

Skylark Collaborator

My GAPS book says if you're having a lot of digestive issues to have cooked vegetables and to discard fibrous parts like broccoli stalks, thick stems on greens, or skins on squash. If you have the energy you might do better making carrot soup? I know cooking is hard when you are that exhausted and maybe it's better to just eat them raw to get calories!

Bummer that Pacific Natural won't work for you. It's my go-to brand when I don't have time to make broth from scratch. Can you get organic meat in your area? It's more expensive but it shouldn't have anything weird in it. Or maybe you're just sensitive/allergic to meat. It must be hard to tell. :(

kareng Grand Master

Also, I am wondering about making a big bowl of mixed cut up veggies for the next day or 2 to snack on, but was wondering if that may be harsh on my system since sometimes veggies like lettuce carrots celery etc. are said to be slightly more difficult to digest? Should I avoid that and stick with the fruit or do you think maybe it would be fine? Any certain fruits or veggies/combinations anyone knows to be good when you're in the healing process? I love all fruits and vegetables and am not picky, I'm just assuming some are probably a better idea than others?

If you are just skin and bones, you don't need to fill up on 2 calorie celery sticks. Chicken is sometimes injected with salt water. There are some "natural" ones that aren't. Jenny O turkey is gluten free. Make some soup with meat.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thanks! Ahh I know how that goes, it sounds like we are similar :( And after reading your about me I had the same thing, a TON of health problems but never the biopsy, and had the blood tests months after going gluten free but the difference without gluten is like day and night, that's the only thing that makes sense and fits perfectly. It's a defeating feeling, it sucks soo much! Thank you for all the advice, I will definitely have to try those things. How do you get the chicken, how is it packaged and are there certain brands or something that are safe? The only ones I can find here are in the frozen section and they say they have broth added so I don't trust it, but I haven't checked every store in my city. The avocados are a good idea, I make this guacamole I LOVE but I don't make it often, I do know the avocados would be good for the nutrition though so I should do that. Yes actually when I was first healing and first started my gluten free diet I used to drink ensure every day. For some reason I could only drink small amounts of it because it would make me nauseas, but then again I had to force feed myself everything I ate and I made myself eat every hour regardless of whether or not I was hungry, and that helped me heal pretty well, I think. Maybe I should just try the initial healing routine all over again. I've been eating bananas and small fruits here and there and living off of peppermint and ginger tea, and last night I was able to have some rice that actually made my stomach feel AMAZING and it was wonderful. Woke up feeling like crap again but now I'm better than yesterday already and eating a little more. Getting glutened sucks so much it seriously feels like your whole life stops and you can't do anything! :(

I was buying bio chickens but then got real sick from one and cannot stand the smell of them anymore. I switched to corn fed chickens, fresh and have had no problems. I live in Europe so these are not brands names you would get stateside. I couldn't drink peppermint tea or take ginger, both made me nausious. I totally agree with Ensure not setting well, there's just something about it that is yucky. I am not even a real rice lover but if I can cook it down until it is soft and then mix it in with something I can eta it just fine. Peas mke make gag. Cauliflower, cabbage, and white beans create way too much gas in my stomach. I ate quite a bit of eggs and still do. Salads, ate lots, switched from olive oil to canola as it seemed genlter on my system, and I had always loved olive oil before. I am 9 months into the gluten-free diet. It's taken my system alot of time to re-coop. Hang in there. Find what you can eat and stick with it for now.

• 3 weeks later...
MrsVJW Newbie

Homemade soup broth from bones & veggies is also VERY easy to make in a slow cooker. Roast bones (or in the case of chicken, buy and roast a whole chicken, eat the meat and just use the leftover bones) and add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, peppercorns, parsley, and bay leaves. Top with water, 6 hours on high or 8 on low, and you've got soup broth. Works will chicken, beef, and veal bones (veal bones give a GREAT thickness and mouth-feel to soup stock). I've also used duck bones, leftover shellfish shells, etc. Package it up, stash it in teh freezer, and you can pull out whenever.

I usually have a couple of frozen cups of chicken stock on hand, plus some shredded chicken meat in the freezer. If I'm not feeling well, I'll cook up some chopped onions, carrot and celery, add the shredded chicken, some white beans or chickpeas, and top with a good drizzle of olive oil and a little shredded parm (if I am also feeling well enough to handle dairy). Not as easy as just opening a package, but you can manage it with a "cold brain", lol.

Or... add some potato flakes to your homemade chicken broth = instant potato soup.

Archived