Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Roti Restaurant In The Dc And Chicago Areas

1 post in this topic

I went to the Roti on 1st St in DC last week. Roti has a very, very good gluten-free pita. As usual, you can taste a little bit of corn flour, but they've got the texture and general taste down to a tee. I bought it frozen and toasted it at home, a measure I took to avoid having them toast it on the same rack as the regular pita. I also asked the employee whether the company was trying to institute overall gluten free practices for select products. He said yes and explained a bit more. It seemed like I'd have a good day.

I admit that I was so happy to taste something remotely close to regular pita bread that I gobbled down 2 slices far too quickly. (Each pita is maybe 8in in diameter.) Within 10-15 min I had that old friend nausea step in. Mild, but obvious and some mild bowel symptoms later.

I am not sure if I just ate too fast or if it was not truly gluten free. I have written to the company to hear their procedure for making it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they swore purity for gluten free. I also had humous and vegetables. The humous ingredients are written on the label, all seemed well.

So this is just a warning if you decide to list this restaurant on your list of gluten-free friendly restaurants for your support group: do some homework first.

Ads by Google: