5 replies to this topic

#1 anewlife

anewlife

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I struggle with migraine headaches and try to manage them with advil, ice and rest. I also use tylenol for minor headaches. I have been noticing that I have more stomach issues when I use these meds so I called tylenol and while they told me that most of their products are gluten free, the list of ingredients they had and the list I had on my box were different. They did not have pregelatinized starch on their ingredient list and could not tell me if it came from a wheat source. They said they would call me back and I have not heard from them as of today. Then, the owner of a gluten free market in our city told me that she was notified that Advil was no longer gluten-free, though their website still says it is. I am continuing to look into this but meanwhile, any suggestions of gluten-free pain meds? Should I look into compounding ibuprofen? I think that Alleve is ok...but I am nervous.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 TB4me2000

TB4me2000

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Taking NSAIDs could be what's upsetting your stomach. Can you try sticking to Tylenol?

#3 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

You might want to check this site for various meds, both OTC and prescription. It's updated frequently and is maintained by a pharmacist. I find it helpful. http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#4 Retrotea

Retrotea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm interested in this. I have migraines everyday myself, due to spine/neck issues. I use Ibuprofen myself, although I prefer it since it's not as bad for your organs versus other medicines. I'm not sure if it contains gluten or not, but I don't have issues with it myself.

#5 smanta02

smanta02

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

My gastroenterologist told me that NSAIDS (ie. Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleeve, Motrin brands) can really irritate your insides.
He said that in terms of pain, acetaminophen (ie. Tylenol) is the safest.

#6 hexon

hexon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

If Tylenol doesn't help you can try taking your advil with some food. The food will help slow down it's absorption so that it doesn't cause stomach pain/bleeding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: