Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Is A Safe Pain Reliever?

6 posts in this topic

I struggle with migraine headaches and try to manage them with advil, ice and rest. I also use tylenol for minor headaches. I have been noticing that I have more stomach issues when I use these meds so I called tylenol and while they told me that most of their products are gluten free, the list of ingredients they had and the list I had on my box were different. They did not have pregelatinized starch on their ingredient list and could not tell me if it came from a wheat source. They said they would call me back and I have not heard from them as of today. Then, the owner of a gluten free market in our city told me that she was notified that Advil was no longer gluten-free, though their website still says it is. I am continuing to look into this but meanwhile, any suggestions of gluten-free pain meds? Should I look into compounding ibuprofen? I think that Alleve is ok...but I am nervous.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Taking NSAIDs could be what's upsetting your stomach. Can you try sticking to Tylenol?

You might want to check this site for various meds, both OTC and prescription. It's updated frequently and is maintained by a pharmacist. I find it helpful. http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

I'm interested in this. I have migraines everyday myself, due to spine/neck issues. I use Ibuprofen myself, although I prefer it since it's not as bad for your organs versus other medicines. I'm not sure if it contains gluten or not, but I don't have issues with it myself.

My gastroenterologist told me that NSAIDS (ie. Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleeve, Motrin brands) can really irritate your insides.

He said that in terms of pain, acetaminophen (ie. Tylenol) is the safest.

If Tylenol doesn't help you can try taking your advil with some food. The food will help slow down it's absorption so that it doesn't cause stomach pain/bleeding.