This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Travel To Dominican Rebulic

SammyJ17

SammyJ17 Newbie

Hello Everyone! I was just diagnosed on Feb. 2/12!! And, BOY, am I learning a lot! Like many of you, I'm sure, I was diagnosed over 25 years ago with IBS. I am so new at this and slowly feeling my way. I do have a friend with Celiac and another with a child who has to have a gluten-free diet.

Anyway, my husband and I have a 2-week trip (already paid for) to a resort in the Dominican Rebulic. It is all inclusive and most meals are buffet style.

Does anyone have any ideas about the kinds of things beside fruit, eggs, meat (not breaded), rice -that I would be able to have?

We have been to this resort before and know that they do NOT have fresh veggies - only salads in cream sauces, and bean salads (also in liquid). I also have an intolerance to cheese and a few other dairy.

Do you have any food suggestions about what I could take with me?

I appreciate any and all advice! This is a whole new journey for me. While I am no longer in shock surrounding the diagnosis, I am definitely still in shock about the cost of the products!! SERIOUSLY!!

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Poppi Enthusiast

May I ask when your vacation is?

The only reason I ask is because if the vacation was next week or something I might just consider doing the best you can and then going 100% gluten-free when you get back.

Barring that I would call the resort and ask to talk to a chef or kitchen manager about any accomodations that can be made for food allergies/intolerances.

Is it possible to upgrade to a room with a kitchenette? Are there any markets nearby?

SammyJ17 Newbie

May I ask when your vacation is?

The only reason I ask is because if the vacation was next week or something I might just consider doing the best you can and then going 100% gluten-free when you get back.

Barring that I would call the resort and ask to talk to a chef or kitchen manager about any accomodations that can be made for food allergies/intolerances.

Is it possible to upgrade to a room with a kitchenette? Are there any markets nearby?

We ARE leaving on the 18! My doctor said that I was to go completely gluten free immediately because of the condition of my stomach and small intestine. I have been doing so well ensuring that I am NOT eating anything with gluten. The resort does not have rooms with kitchenettes. And the resort is about 30 minutes away from the nearest village. My travel agent said that I would have to wait until I arrived and then speak with the tour rep. who could translate for me and look into what my options are.

I am going to pack many things (no parishables) that are gluten free as possible. I check with our local airline authority and I can take peanut butter so will do that.

My husband has made the same suggestion that you have. I just may have to be as careful as possible without starving myself. At least I know that there is lots of fresh fruit available and I can eat breakfast (eggs). It really is the lunch and dinner options.

Thank you for your suggestions!! I am so thankful to have found this site and the wonderful people who seem to have helped so many others. As I work through all this, I am fortunate to have people like you to go to....and one day, maybe I can help others with my learning experiences!

• 1 month later...
Victoria6102 Contributor

How did your trip go!? I saw this post too late. But for future trips, I would suggest bringing GoPicnics. They are available online and have many gluten free options. They are all ready-to-go, don't need to be kept cold or heated up, and they are in a convenient little box that you can bring with you to eat at any time. I recently went to Zambia, Africa and that is what I mostly lived on. I had some hormel gluten free beef stews, and had brought my own little pan with me to heat it up in...we were staying at a hotel and I went to their kitchen and asked to use their stove. When we went over to Botswana, we ate at a beautiful deluxe buffet in a hotel. But they did not understand when I used the word allergy. I asked for a cu umber and I cut it myself, that was my lunch. Those are just some ideas, to bring and do if you travel again. It seems many foreign countries do not know what an allergy even is. How did you find it went on your trip?

Archived