• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

okay, I learned today that

Skittles
Starburst
Jolly ranchers

are gluten-free/DF/SF too. If you have a sweet tooth!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

True, that, my friend! We Celiacs are in this together and I would like to help by paying for the postage. Totally serious. You have my email. ;)

Okay, let's see, my infrequent (but fun) snacky foods for gluten-free/DF/SF living are:

Larabars
Enjoy Life Chocolate chips and BoomChocoBoom Bars
Nuts of all kinds
Craisins
Indiana kettlecorn
Mott's all natural Applesauce cups
Cape Cod Potato Chips
ANYTHING by So Delicious (coconut milk) but those products will not travel well across the Atlantic :( :lol:
The King Arthur mixes
Namaste Mixes
CHEBE mixes
GLUTENFREEDA hot cereal, oatmeal packets
Rice cakes with Smucker's natural PB and St. Dalfour Jam (although those rice cakes might not travel well either :unsure: )

I have not ordered from these people yet, but my hairdresser recommends:

http://www.indiecand...-Candy-s/55.htm

for candies and goodies. Maybe WF carries them?

We do not have a WF near us (bummer) so I am not sure.

Oh, my! We have a snack expert here! :P I am writing this all down for myself, although I have had and love the Namaste mixes and Chebe bread. I did not know they were soy free also.

That's awesome of you to offer postage and we'll have to wait and see if Strawberry takes us up on it. How could anyone resist that list? You could gain weight just reading it. ;)

#33 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Gemini - I defer to your experience on feeding up a very poorly underweight person.

Sainsbury's are really good on labelling allergens, and their free from range goes the extra mile, with the main allergens being avoided prominently displayed on the front of the product (eg, wheat free, gluten free, dairy free).

I attach a link to their website below. In the allergens area there is also a long list of products which are free from X allergen. There is a soya exclusion list, although it would also need to be cross-referred to the gluten free list, and any other allergens Strawberry needed.

Sainsbury's also do on-line shopping, so Strawberry could choose a bunch of stuff her boyfriend could buy for her, if he is able to get there, as I guess they won't deliver over the border to the Republic.

The free from range includes not just a large range of goodies, but also a decent selection of ready meals and cooking sauces or soups which can make up a quick meal. I would expect the majority of them to be soy free as well as gluten free, but they would need to go to the largest possible store, rather than a smaller city site.

http://www2.sainsbur...1=nav_secondary

I have had the Sainsbury's digestive biscuits before and they are really good! I did miss those when diagnosed but now there are companies that make them gluten-free. There is another line of cookies called True Free, I think, and those are excellent also. I got them in the UK, though, not Ireland.

Thank you for this information. I do vacation in the UK as much as I can afford to and this will come in handy for me also!

#34 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Don't forget a jar of Nutella :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#35 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

Look for rolled rice ["pohu"] at your local indian supermarket. It comes in thick, medium and thin style. It makes very nice porridge.

#36 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:23 AM

here in ireland, nutella has milk in it, and starburst has soya lecithin! argh! but I do buy and eat skittles here sometimes >_>

omg so you guys are just gonna get me stuff? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

all I can think of right now is that I love terra original exotic vegetable chips! you can pop the air out of the bags and roll them up to take up less room, then tape them again (my mama did that once when she mailed me some stuff) and the 123-gluten-free spice cake mix is really good, iirc. aaaaaaaaah isn't it expensive to mail stuff though?! tell you what, if you're getting me a present it's totally up to you how much you want to get, and as long as it's clearly gluten-free, dairy-free, and soya-free... I'm not a huge chocolate person either come to think of it. I do love anything with cinnamon. I don't know... *choice-coma*

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#37 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Is there just "normal people" food from the groceries that you can't get there? Jello? Koolaid? plain popcorn? etc. sounds like skittles or Starburst or Jolly ranchers.

Yes! We must send Strawberry a care package! I would be happy to help.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#38 Strawberry_Jam

Strawberry_Jam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

you guys are... gonna make me cry... I was sick for so long, I hated everything... but if it wasn't for celiac I wouldn't have y'all... *SUPER SAPPY MOMENT*

I've been eating peanut butter and jam sandwiches, soup/stew, and stir-fries-over-rice for so long I don't even know what "normal people food" is. haha

gluten-free 25 Feb 2011
soy-free 30 March 2011

dairy-free 30 August 2011 (roughly)

25 yrs old
diagnosed Celiac through biopsy and blood test (WAY positive) as of 25 Feb 2011

#39 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

you guys are... gonna make me cry... I was sick for so long, I hated everything... but if it wasn't for celiac I wouldn't have y'all... *SUPER SAPPY MOMENT*

I've been eating peanut butter and jam sandwiches, soup/stew, and stir-fries-over-rice for so long I don't even know what "normal people food" is. haha

But honey!--this IS normal people food!! It's what many of us eat!

It's what I eat and I'm normal. :)

wait for it...... :rolleyes: :unsure: :unsure:

(I just know someone is going to dispute that....karen? gemini? shroomie? lisa? janet? sylvia? peter?.....):lol: :lol: :lol:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#40 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Soup is totally normal. So is stir-fry over rice and peanut butter and jam sandwiches. I'm not so sure about my coconut flour muffins and homemade sauerkraut! :lol:

#41 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

It's what I eat and I'm normal. :)

wait for it...... :rolleyes: :unsure: :unsure:

<clearing throat>
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#42 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

Soup is totally normal. So is stir-fry over rice and peanut butter and jam sandwiches. I'm not so sure about my coconut flour muffins and homemade sauerkraut! :lol:

mmmmm coconut muffins....yummmmmm

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#43 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

<clearing throat>

:P :lol: :lol: :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#44 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

I like home made guacamole for snack. Or peanuts. Or you can make peanut brittle in a microwave pretty easy.

Does Sainsbury have gift cards? That might be simpler than mailing things over the pond.

Celizc com snacks search
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#45 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

I like home made guacamole for snack. Or peanuts. Or you can make peanut brittle in a microwave pretty easy.

Does Sainsbury have gift cards? That might be simpler than mailing things over the pond.

Celizc com snacks search

Oh yes. gluten-free! You must send her some guacamole! :D

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: